Shorthand

Frank MacDonell
Can anyone refer me to a list of commonly used shorthand for CW?
Thanks in advance!

--
Frank KD8FIP

Re: Shorthand

Bruce Beford-2
Here's a good list of CW abbreviations. I am sure there are others.
73, Bruce N1RX

http://www.kent-engineers.com/abbreviations.htm

Re: Shorthand

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Shorthand

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2
On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 9:59 AM, Frank MacDonell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can anyone refer me to a list of commonly used shorthand for CW?

Whilst browsing the results of a Google search for simply "cw
shorthand" (which, by the way, returned, as its top result, a
comprehensive list in PDF format), I found this, which is too good not
to share:

"So you want to be a lid!" - http://www.qsl.net/dl4tt/w5vsr.html

    ~Iain / N6ML

Re: Shorthand

w7aqk
Bruce and All,

That's a nice list.  Pretty complete--even has some I'm not familiar with,
i.e. "30"--never heard of that before.  There's also a very nifty CW player
you can download.  Very impressive, and should be a great tool for someone
trying to learn code.

Dave W7AQK

> Here's a good list of CW abbreviations. I am sure there are others.
> 73, Bruce N1RX
>
> http://www.kent-engineers.com/abbreviations.htm

Re: Shorthand

David Cutter
I can see how c = yes, derived from confirm = cfm, but when I was a marine
op it was y = yes

David
G3UNA

> Here's a good list of CW abbreviations. I am sure there are others.
> 73, Bruce N1RX
>
> http://www.kent-engineers.com/abbreviations.htm

Re: Shorthand

w7aqk
Ron and All,

I don't know exactly how one would differentiate between an "abbreviation"
and "shorthand", but yes, the "T" is often sent as an elongated dash when
possible.  However, it's nearly always sent as just a regular "T" these days
which, as you indicate, is probably because of keyer limitations.

This brings to my mind the very common use of "N" for "9", as in "5NN" for
599.  .  That probably should also be on the list, as it is almost
universally used.  I rarely hear anyone use "WTS" for watts.  It's usually
just a "W".

The one thing I think that list doesn't make clear is that some letters are
intentionally run together, with no separation, such as "BT".  Another was
the example of "HH", which really should just be 8 dits run together, to
indicate an error.  A third example is "AS".  In print, character
combinations like that are show with an "overscore" (a solid line above the
letters) to indicate that they are run together.  I don't know how to do
that here, but there is probably some way to do that with an ASCII command.

Anyway, there are probably a bunch of other variations/additions.  I suspect
this list will grow.

Dave W7AQK

Re: Shorthand

Ken Kopp-3
I believe "30" was more commonly used in the press
wire field and indicates "end" or "end of article".

73! Ken Kopp - K0PP

Re: Shorthand

k0wa@swbell.net

Actually....the "c" come from Spanish.  At least, that is what I always thought "se senior" or "yes mister"

Lee K0WA
"Making up life as I go"
:>)

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Shorthand

N5GE
On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 14:02:24 -0700, "Ron D'Eau Claire" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>Yep, and carried over onto radiotelegraphy mostly for noting the end of the
>press sent to ships, etc.
>
>I've always used "R" to denote "yes". That's what we used on military CW,
>and I've heard and used it on the ham bands for many, many years. During a
>CW contact when I had excellent copy I'll often start my transmission with R
>R R DE AC7AC...denoting that copy was "FB" and allowing the important delay
>for those stations who have switches to throw when going from TX to RX.
>
>Ron AC7AC

[snip]

In the last year or so I've begun to hear a lot of CW op's sending EN
to the other station when it is turned back to them.  Is this
something new or just a cool LID's way to send R for Roger?

Tom, N5GE

[hidden email]
K3 #806, K3 #1055, PR6,
XV144, XV432, KRC2,
W1 and other small kits.

2 W2's on order
1 K144XV on order

http://www.n5ge.com
http://www.swotrc.net

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: Shorthand

Vic K2VCO
Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

> I've always used "R" to denote "yes". That's what we used on military CW,
> and I've heard and used it on the ham bands for many, many years.

I have to add that nobody ever understands when I use 'c' for 'yes'. When a dx station
struggles and finally gets my call right, if I respond with 'c' he usually tries
additional (wrong) permutations of my call!

What works is "r r r r", even though strictly speaking 'r' means 'I received all OK' or
'understood'.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

Re: Shorthand

Vic K2VCO
Radio Amateur N5GE wrote:

> In the last year or so I've begun to hear a lot of CW op's sending EN
> to the other station when it is turned back to them.  Is this
> something new or just a cool LID's way to send R for Roger?

This is the same guy who thinks that the 'general call to all stations' is sent as NNGT.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

Re: Shorthand

Matt Zilmer
<snip>

CW ops use this long inter-element delay between E and N (to make R)
as a point of emphasis.  I guess this means "Very Good R".  This has
been true at least at least since I was first  licensed (1972).  At
that time, electronic keyers were fairly new (and/or expensive,) and
bugs were often used.  That delay is very common for a bug user.

Many elements of style are incorporated into one's fist, according to
experience and exposure.  And some styles (swing, or whatever it's
called) persist culturally even if the technology changes.  You
probably won't hear the long delay in contesting though, since every
unnecessary delay counts towards missed contacts.

73,
matt zilmer, W6NIA
K3 #24, K2 #2810

>In the last year or so I've begun to hear a lot of CW op's sending EN
>to the other station when it is turned back to them.  Is this
>something new or just a cool LID's way to send R for Roger?
>
>Tom, N5GE
>
>[hidden email]
>K3 #806, K3 #1055, PR6,
>XV144, XV432, KRC2,
>W1 and other small kits.
>
>2 W2's on order
>1 K144XV on order
>
>http://www.n5ge.com
>http://www.swotrc.net

Re: Shorthand

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Shorthand

k0wa@swbell.net

I have also use "R" as an affirmative.  I use to use "C" in my traffic handling days of the 60s and 70s.  We could also talk about QN or "Q" signals as well, but that is another thread.

Now, the EN for "R" I think came from my old Novice days to add emphasis that I did copy perfectly, something I struggled with in the beginning.  I do not see that much these days since you really have to actually send an "EN" to get the same affect with a keyer.  I still use R ... but not like I did with my J-38 in my Novice days.

Lee - K0WA

 In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't find any Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.  Is Common Sense divine?

Re: Shorthand

Bud Morin
EN was used for an artistic R in he 1940's. I heard them and
occasionally used it.

Bud, K9ZT

Radio Amateur N5GE wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 14:02:24 -0700, "Ron D'Eau Claire" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> Yep, and carried over onto radiotelegraphy mostly for noting the end of the
>> press sent to ships, etc.
>>
>> I've always used "R" to denote "yes". That's what we used on military CW,
>> and I've heard and used it on the ham bands for many, many years. During a
>> CW contact when I had excellent copy I'll often start my transmission with R
>> R R DE AC7AC...denoting that copy was "FB" and allowing the important delay
>> for those stations who have switches to throw when going from TX to RX.
>>
>> Ron AC7AC

Re: Shorthand

David Cutter
I agree with others that on the amateur bands we use R or EN for yes.  Thanks for the correction.

David
G3UNA

Re: Shorthand

Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy
Back in 1946 -1948 ish,  C for "yes", and R or EN for  "Received and
understood" was used on the amateur bands.  The same practice was used by my
school's cadet signal corps and the army in South Africa during and after
WWII.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD

>I agree with others that on the amateur bands we use R or EN for yes.
>Thanks for the correction.
>
> David
> G3UNA

Re: Shorthand

Jon Kåre Hellan
Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy wrote:
> Back in 1946 -1948 ish,  C for "yes", and R or EN for  "Received and
> understood" was used on the amateur bands.  The same practice was used by my
> school's cadet signal corps and the army in South Africa during and after
> WWII.

C also means "affirmative" in the maritime International Code of Signals, and N means "negative".
NC is the distress signal.

Jon LA4RT.