Quantcast

Side KX Notes, etc.

eric norris
I received my Side KX plates and Lexan cover for my KX3 today.  Here are a few notes some of you might find helpful.

1.  The instructions say to use a 3/8" nut driver to loosen the MIC nut.  I found this did not work, but a 10mm open-end wrench worked perfectly and did not mar the case at all. Keep the wrench perfectly aligned with the case, and apply no pressure downward on the KX3 side case.

2.  I had no trouble installing the end plates without splitting the KX3 case.

3.  With the Side KX plates in place, my KX3 will still fit inside a Pelican 1170 case when the top foam is cut away to accommodate it.  By leaving just a little foam around the edge of the Lexan, it holds the whole shebang nice and tight.  The lid of the 1170 will close just fine with or without the Lexan cover.  I might consider gluing some soft cloth material to the top of the 1170 so it does not mar the Lexan.  I can't quite tell if it is actually making contact.

4.  After lots of experimenting with various cases (I'm embarrassed to say how many), my favorite is the LowePro Adventure 170.  It allows the KX3 to be stored vertically, and works even better with the Side KX plates and Lexan cover.  The Adventure 140 is similar but much smaller.  The 170 allows me to carry my log, notepad, Koss PortaPro headphones, small speakers, wire antennas, keys, mic, battery pack, cables, chick magnets, cow magnets, and even a small water bottle.

5.  The Side KX plates are very well made.  I would have preferred the Lexan be just a tiny bit thicker, but it seems like pretty tough stuff.

6.  After considering many options to protect my KX3 while X-C skiing earlier this year, I decided the toughest, lightest package was actually a KX1 in a Pelican 1060 Micro Case.  It is pretty much bombproof.

73 Eric WD6DBM

Re: Side KX Notes, etc.

Jim's Desktop
Yup, the nut on the MIC jack is definitely NOT 3/8".  It's a 10mm metric.  My SideKX Plates & Lexan cover are on the mail truck for delivery sometime this morning.  My carrying case for the KX3 is a Pelican knock-off that I got from a surplus firm down in Florida and I originally had cut a piece of foam to cover the knobs & LCD, but with the handles & Lexan cover, I'll have a bit more room in the case (it's deep enough) to carry the microphone (which I seldom use, but carry anyway for emergencies), a 14 volt 3 amp (old flat screen monitor) power supply, small dummy load and connectors/adapters.

Anyone going to HamCom in Plano, TX next week can stop by the Elecraft booth if they want to see it.  I'll have it on display there.

Jim - W0EB

> I received my Side KX plates and Lexan cover for my KX3 today.
> Here are a few notes some of you might find helpful.
>
> 1.  The instructions say to use a 3/8" nut driver to loosen the MIC
> nut.  I found this did not work, but a 10mm open-end wrench worked
> perfectly and did not mar the case at all. Keep the wrench
> perfectly aligned with the case, and apply no pressure downward on
> the KX3 side case.

Re: [KX3] Side KX Notes, etc.

wb2ssb
I had exactly the same experience, Eric.  I purchased a metric hex nut driver set for the occasion, many cases as well, and ended up prefering the LowePro Adventure 170 as well.

Joe ... WB2SSB

Joseph Sanger, M.D.
Director, Radiology Informatics
NYU Langone Medical Center
Room D-107
Bellevue C & D Building
Phone: 212 263-3434

On May 30, 2013, at 8:55 PM, "eric norris" <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

Reply via web post<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KX3/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJyOWQyN3RiBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzc0NTIwOTQ3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAMyOTUzMwRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNycGx5BHN0aW1lAzEzNjk5NjE3MjE-?act=reply&messageNum=29533>         Reply to sender <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Re%3A%20Side%20KX%20Notes%2C%20etc%2E>  Reply to group <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Re%3A%20Side%20KX%20Notes%2C%20etc%2E>       Start a New Topic<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KX3/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmbmxldGE5BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzc0NTIwOTQ3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzEzNjk5NjE3MjE->     Messages in this topic<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KX3/message/29533;_ylc=X3oDMTM3YW9lMnMyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzc0NTIwOTQ3BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAMyOTUzMwRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawN2dHBjBHN0aW1lAzEzNjk5NjE3MjEEdHBjSWQDMjk1MzM-> (1)
Recent Activity:

Switch to: Text-Only<mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Change%20Delivery%20Format:%20Traditional>, Daily Digest<mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20Digest> • Unsubscribe<mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Unsubscribe> • Terms of Use<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> • Send us Feedback <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Feedback%20on%20the%20redesigned%20individual%20mail%20v1>
.