SideKX Panel and cover for KX3

wn3r.us
This has to be one the very best accessories ever made for a radio. After seeing the KX3, I thought it could become the ONE radio Ecomm groups could standardize on if it were "hardened" in some way.

Scott, AK6Q, did it.  His website is www.gemsproducts.com

In typical ham style, I didn't read the instructions. I simply loosened the four thumb turn screws, removed the 4 small Phillips screws, took the nut off the mic connector, and replaced the panels. It took just a few minutes. After reading the instructions, I see I did it all wrong, but still with a good result. I never opened the radio.

73, Dick, WN3R
Sent from my iPad

Re: SideKX Panel and cover for KX3

Lee Stephens

There were instructions?  I thought that paper was to keep the side
panels from scratching each other ;)

It only took mere minutes to install the side plates.  The cover keeps
me from scratching the display or tweaking knobs when I put the radio
in the backpack.  The Lexan is a little thinner than I would have
thought....but it is Lexan and I doubt I'll ever break it.  Nice to
see the plates were ground to metal at all the appropriate places
instead of me having to do it myself.

To be honest...I think Elecraft should buy Scott out and ship new
KX3's from the factory this way.

73

Lee
KK4JSJ

On Wednesday 06/05/2013 at 12:55 pm, "Dick, WN3R"  wrote:

> This has to be one the very best accessories ever made for a radio.
> After seeing the KX3, I thought it could become the ONE radio Ecomm
> groups could standardize on if it were "hardened" in some way.
>
> Scott, AK6Q, did it.  His website is http://www.gemsproducts.com
>
> In typical ham style, I didn't read the instructions. I simply
> loosened the four thumb turn screws, removed the 4 small Phillips
> screws, took the nut off the mic connector, and replaced the panels.
> It took just a few minutes. After reading the instructions, I see I
> did it all wrong, but still with a good result. I never opened the
> radio.
>
> 73, Dick, WN3R
> Sent from my iPad

Re: SideKX Panel and cover for KX3

Igor Sokolov-2
I think, there is no need to buy Scott out. Elecraft could just co-operate
with Scott and offer his product through their site. Similar to the way they
do it with Buddipole. That would be very convenient for all the parties
including customers.
I would also buy front cover for my K3 if Scott would ever design and make
one.

73, Igor UA9CDC

> To be honest...I think Elecraft should buy Scott out and ship new KX3's
> from the factory this way.
>
> 73
>
> Lee
> KK4JSJ

Re: SideKX Panel and cover for KX3

Rick WA6NHC
I would like to move the entire K line as a complete already assembled
package.  (I can use another radio for my remote operations.)

I'd like to see a GOTA/travel case for the entire K line that has the
following features:

It must be RUGGED!
Nice appearance during use
Allows protected safe movement of the ENTIRE station as a single unit
Room for accessories (SLUSB for example)
Extra space used for 'stuff' during shipping (change of clothes?)
Has complete secure (lockable) covering during movement
Allows for excellent cooling during operation (take the entire back off?)
No set up once moved; simply connect power, laptop and antennas, it's done

Basically a nice box (XYL approved), remove the front and rear covers for
radio use and secure enough that you would be comfortable for the airline
gorillas to toss underhand.  Besides for flying to a new location, it would
make my station much easier to move into the RV.  It doesn't have to be a
tower, a cube would be fine, as long as I don't have to (un)assemble the
wires (too many, makes it a pain to move).

Keeping the price under a few hundred $US would be a great bonus too.

73,
Rick wa6nhc
K3, P3, KPA500, KAT500

OT: RE: SideKX Panel and cover for KX3

ny4g
I built something similar to what Rick wanted below.  I called it my "Shack in a Box" project.  It is described in more detail with photos at the following link:
http://ny4g.blogspot.com/2012/06/shack-in-box-project.html
Features:  The antennas connect to the box. - two HF antennasFront cover to keep kids and unauthorized persons outBack cover with holes for ventilationTwo large handles for transportCompartment for a 30 amp hour SLA - will run for days at QRP powerProvisions for two rigsDrawer for accessoriesLED to keep track of battery charge status - user settable (low range red, high range green and amber in between)
The FT897 in the blog picture has since been replaced by a KX3 as shown by the pic in the following link
http://ny4g.blogspot.com/2013/02/finally-got-qrp-dxcc.html
The laptop now runs NaP3.
I am thinking of building another "Shack-in-a-box Gen 2" tailor made to fit the KXPA100.  It may fit in where the Hardrock50 is in now but not sure of the KXPA100 dimensions.
Ariel NY4G

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 12:54:26 -0700
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] SideKX Panel and cover for KX3
>
> I would like to move the entire K line as a complete already assembled
> package.  (I can use another radio for my remote operations.)
>
> I'd like to see a GOTA/travel case for the entire K line that has the
> following features:
>
> It must be RUGGED!
> Nice appearance during use
> Allows protected safe movement of the ENTIRE station as a single unit
> Room for accessories (SLUSB for example)
> Extra space used for 'stuff' during shipping (change of clothes?)
> Has complete secure (lockable) covering during movement
> Allows for excellent cooling during operation (take the entire back off?)
> No set up once moved; simply connect power, laptop and antennas, it's done
>
> Basically a nice box (XYL approved), remove the front and rear covers for
> radio use and secure enough that you would be comfortable for the airline
> gorillas to toss underhand.  Besides for flying to a new location, it would
> make my station much easier to move into the RV.  It doesn't have to be a
> tower, a cube would be fine, as long as I don't have to (un)assemble the
> wires (too many, makes it a pain to move).
>
> Keeping the price under a few hundred $US would be a great bonus too.
>
> 73,
> Rick wa6nhc
> K3, P3, KPA500, KAT500

kk5na
Got my side panels and cover today. It took less time to put on the SideKX
panels and cover then it is taking for this email.  I too did not need to
open the case.

Nice simple process and VERY nice protection for the KX3.       No
interference with operation on the KX3.

Joe KK5NA

Re: SideKX Panel and cover for KX3

n7ws
I don't own a KX3 but I'm almost tempted to buy one just so I could install these pieces. Well done, Scott!

Wes, N7WS

On Jun 5, 2013, at 9:55 AM, "Dick, WN3R" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This has to be one the very best accessories ever made for a radio. After seeing the KX3, I thought it could become the ONE radio Ecomm groups could standardize on if it were "hardened" in some way.
>
> Scott, AK6Q, did it.  His website is www.gemsproducts.com
>
> In typical ham style, I didn't read the instructions. I simply loosened the four thumb turn screws, removed the 4 small Phillips screws, took the nut off the mic connector, and replaced the panels. It took just a few minutes. After reading the instructions, I see I did it all wrong, but still with a good result. I never opened the radio.
>
> 73, Dick, WN3R
> Sent from my iPad

Re: SideKX Panel and cover for KX3

Rick Miller - N1RM
I just installed the SideKX yesterday and agree they are very useful and a great addition to the KX3 - what a nice design!  Only minor nit is that the silk screened letters on the left panel are not of the same quality that the original Elecraft panel.  Nothing awful, but something that Scott might take a look at.