Size of 220mfd cap for BPF

G4HUE
It does not compute to order the kit as the postage is too high and the capacitors appear to be relatively easily available. So my question is what physical size is the 220mfd solid polymer cap used to bypass the zener in the BPF mods (enabling reception down to 500KHz). It would appear to be a 16v component but I guess 10v would suffice. Clearly it would need to be small enough to fit in the available space but without taking my K3 apart I cannot measure that readily, so if someone has one they could measure for me (diameter is critical as it lays on its side), that would be grand.
Andy G4HUE
K3 6990, P3 2493, KAT500 1245, KPA500 2102

Re: Size of 220mfd cap for BPF

Matt Zilmer-3
Hi Andy,

The datasheet for the poly cap is shown here:
http://nichicon-us.com/english/products/pdfs/e-l8.pdf
The cap can be ordered from Digikey as p/n 493-4026-1-ND, or as part
of the Elecraft KBPF3MDKT modification kit.

The cap fits comfortably below the KNB3 board on both main and
sub-receivers.  Its outer surface is plastic coated, so there is no
chance of shorting out any PCB pads.  It's 8mm H x 8mm Diameter.

I performed the complete KPBF3 -> KBPF3A mod over the weekend.  I
haven't run an MDS test yet, but that'll happen this week.  Early
testing shows good results;  My older K3 is able to receive NDBs at
297 and 232 KHz, plus a lot of electrical noise from local sources.
Wayne's correct: The band noise level is fairly high below 450 KHz, at
least it is here.

73!
matt
W6NIA

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 14:34:40 +0100 (BST), you wrote:

>It does not compute to order the kit as the postage is too high and the capacitors appear to be relatively easily available. So my question is what physical size is the 220mfd solid polymer cap used to bypass the zener in the BPF mods (enabling reception down to 500KHz). It would appear to be a 16v component but I guess 10v would suffice. Clearly it would need to be small enough to fit in the available space but without taking my K3 apart I cannot measure that readily, so if someone has one they could measure for me (diameter is critical as it lays on its side), that would be grand.
>Andy G4HUE
>K3 6990, P3 2493, KAT500 1245, KPA500 2102

>Message delivered to [hidden email]
Matt Zilmer, W6NIA
--
"Always store beer in a dark place."  -R. Heinlein

Re: Size of 220mfd cap for BPF

G4HUE
Thanks that's most appreciated.