Slightly Off-Topic: Roving update of default repeater station

Slightly Off-Topic: Roving update of default repeater station

Phil Hystad-3
This question has nothing to do with Elecraft rigs (well, possibly remotely if I assume a KX3 as mobile with the future to be provided 2-meter option).

Yesterday I drove to Portland from my QTH of Kirkland near Seattle.  This is a 3 1/2 hour trip down I-5 (and, the return).  In the Seattle area, I had my 2-meter mobile rig in my truck sitting on a repeater frequency but it was not too long before I was out of range of that repeater.  I wondered briefly about changing to some nearby closer repeater but it was not that important to me but I started thinking about an automated way to do this.

I have GPS in various guises with my Truck (iPhone, iPad, and my little Garmin GPS at times), so what if I had a way of extracting location, looking up location of nearest repeater in my database (if I had one), and then having a interface to my rig to update the repeater frequency, split offset, tone, etc.  All very possible.

So, my question:  Does such a thing now exist?  I don't pay enough attention to repeater-life to know what other hams may have already created?

73, phil, K7PEH

Mel

Re: Slightly Off-Topic: Roving update of default repeater station

Mel
Interesting subject.  I however only travel north and south since I live in central CA. east and west have little meaning.  But, here is what I do which is quite simple.

I use channel 15 as the home memory location, on both VHF and UHF operation.  The memory channels going "up" take me progressively into northern CA, OR, and WA.  The channels "down" take me to southern CA.  Then it is a simple task to merely click up or down accordingly.  Very limited hunting.  Cheers,

Mel. K6KBE

________________________________

XV144 Operation

Dave Anderson, K4SV
Hi Everyone,

I have tried my K3 on 6 meters and was treated to a pile of large S3 birdies up and down the band.  Tech support says that condition is normal for 6 meters and to solve the situation when a birdies lands on a real signal is to use the filter shift.  Not a real good solution to the birdie problem.

My question is, when installing and using the XV144, is one to expect the same massive birdies on 2 meters as well?  I am planning on using my K3 for EME and do not need a bunch of birdies.

Thanks in advance,

Dave Anderson, K4SV
Tryon, NC
 828 777-5088

www.K4SV.net

Re: Slightly Off-Topic: Roving update of default repeater station

Rose
Hi Phil,

I'm a retired law enforcement radio tech.  To answer your question, many
agencies that have multiple radio systems ... both simplex and repeater ...
do use GPS location to "steer" the frequency selection of their mobiles.
Some have all their repeaters on the same RF frequencies and use CTCSS
tones to select the desired station.  Lincoln County, OR does this, for
example.

Such systems require complex software that custom-tailored to the area
topography and can be made more complex by mountain terrain that can
severely impact the areas covered from a given radio site.

The software and hardware to do this "steering" is usually provided by
the equipment manufacturer, and I -think- there are after-market providers.

I'll investigate more, but I think you'll find it's beyond the "means" of
most
of us. (:-)

73!

Ken - K0PP

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 4:46 PM, Phil Hystad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This question has nothing to do with Elecraft rigs (well, possibly
> remotely if I assume a KX3 as mobile with the future to be provided 2-meter
> option).
>
> Yesterday I drove to Portland from my QTH of Kirkland near Seattle.  This
> is a 3 1/2 hour trip down I-5 (and, the return).  In the Seattle area, I
> had my 2-meter mobile rig in my truck sitting on a repeater frequency but
> it was not too long before I was out of range of that repeater.  I wondered
> briefly about changing to some nearby closer repeater but it was not that
> important to me but I started thinking about an automated way to do this.
>
> I have GPS in various guises with my Truck (iPhone, iPad, and my little
> Garmin GPS at times), so what if I had a way of extracting location,
> looking up location of nearest repeater in my database (if I had one), and
> then having a interface to my rig to update the repeater frequency, split
> offset, tone, etc.  All very possible.
>
> So, my question:  Does such a thing now exist?  I don't pay enough
> attention to repeater-life to know what other hams may have already created?
>
> 73, phil, K7PEH

Re: XV144 Operation

Dave,

It's virtually impossible to avoid some weak birdies on each band in a high-dynamic range, down-conversion superhet. That said, on 6 m there should be very birdies in the weak-signal area (the part of the band typically used for CW and SSB work).

Transverters using the K3 as a 28-MHz I.F. will generally have even fewer birdies, if any, in the weak-signal range. In rare cases it may make sense to use the SIG RMV menu entry on those that remain.

On Sep 10, 2013, at 10:10 AM, "Dave Anderson, K4SV" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have tried my K3 on 6 meters and was treated to a pile of large S3 birdies up and down the band.  Tech support says that condition is normal for 6 meters and to solve the situation when a birdies lands on a real signal is to use the filter shift.  Not a real good solution to the birdie problem.
>
> My question is, when installing and using the XV144, is one to expect the same massive birdies on 2 meters as well?  I am planning on using my K3 for EME and do not need a bunch of birdies.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dave Anderson, K4SV
> Tryon, NC
>  828 777-5088
>
> www.K4SV.net

Re: XV144 Operation

Jacques Gaudron
Le 10/09/2013 19:10, Dave Anderson, K4SV a écrit :
Hi Dave
The same here, but not on 2 meters with the internal transverter. The
birdies on 50 Mhz are supposed to come from the "live boxes' around the
place.
  The 2 meter band is clean !
Best 73
Jacques de F9OJ

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have tried my K3 on 6 meters and was treated to a pile of large S3 birdies up and down the band.  Tech support says that condition is normal for 6 meters and to solve the situation when a birdies lands on a real signal is to use the filter shift.  Not a real good solution to the birdie problem.
>
> My question is, when installing and using the XV144, is one to expect the same massive birdies on 2 meters as well?  I am planning on using my K3 for EME and do not need a bunch of birdies.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dave Anderson, K4SV
> Tryon, NC
>   828 777-5088
>
> www.K4SV.net

Re: XV144 Operation

WM3M
Dave,Birdies are normal on 6 meters, it has nothing do with the K3.  I have several 6 meter rigs and they get the same, sometimes very loud and strong birdies.I am also on 2 meter weak signal, only a few birdies there, nothing like 6 meters, again on all 2 meter rigs, its the same.I do not know the source of the birdies, suspect computers, power supplies, routers, etc etc.Best thing I find to use for the birdies on 6 is the auto notch, it works great on the K3 for 6 meter birdies.I have a very strong one right near 50.125, calling freq, using auto notch gets rid of it.I have mobile 6 meter all mode too and once away from house most of the birdies disappear.If you find better solution please let me know.  73Emory WM3M

> Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 10:10:18 -0700
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Elecraft] XV144 Operation
>
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have tried my K3 on 6 meters and was treated to a pile of large S3 birdies up and down the band.  Tech support says that condition is normal for 6 meters and to solve the situation when a birdies lands on a real signal is to use the filter shift.  Not a real good solution to the birdie problem.
>
> My question is, when installing and using the XV144, is one to expect the same massive birdies on 2 meters as well?  I am planning on using my K3 for EME and do not need a bunch of birdies.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dave Anderson, K4SV
> Tryon, NC
>  828 777-5088
>
> www.K4SV.net

Re: S: Re: Slightly Off-Topic: Roving update of default repeater station

Andy McMullin
Phil,

We don't have it over here in the UK, but I'm told you do!

There are transmissions on APRS (144.800 MHz in Europe, 144.39 in the USA) that not only give names and frequencies of local repeaters but some 2m rigs will automatically QSY their second band there.

Have a look at http://www.aprs.org  And in particular http://www.aprs.org/localinfo.html

Hope this helps.

Sorry if there are any typos,
this is sent from my iPad
Andy

> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 4:46 PM, Phil Hystad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> This question has nothing to do with Elecraft rigs (well, possibly
>> remotely if I assume a KX3 as mobile with the future to be provided 2-meter
>> option).
>>
>> Yesterday I drove to Portland from my QTH of Kirkland near Seattle.  This
>> is a 3 1/2 hour trip down I-5 (and, the return).  In the Seattle area, I
>> had my 2-meter mobile rig in my truck sitting on a repeater frequency but
>> it was not too long before I was out of range of that repeater.  I wondered
>> briefly about changing to some nearby closer repeater but it was not that
>> important to me but I started thinking about an automated way to do this.
>>
>> I have GPS in various guises with my Truck (iPhone, iPad, and my little
>> Garmin GPS at times), so what if I had a way of extracting location,
>> looking up location of nearest repeater in my database (if I had one), and
>> then having a interface to my rig to update the repeater frequency, split
>> offset, tone, etc.  All very possible.
>>
>> So, my question:  Does such a thing now exist?  I don't pay enough
>> attention to repeater-life to know what other hams may have already created?
>>
>> 73, phil, K7PEH

Re: XV144 Operation

M Cresap
Dave

I have several birdies on both 6 (K3) and 2 meters (K3+XV144) - most can be traced to the computer or router/Ethernet radiation. Shielded Ethernet cables helped me a lot.

73, Mike, W3IP

________________________________
It's virtually impossible to avoid some weak birdies on each band in a high-dynamic range, down-conversion superhet. That said, on 6 m there should be very birdies in the weak-signal area (the part of the band typically used for CW and SSB work).

Transverters using the K3 as a 28-MHz I.F. will generally have even fewer birdies, if any, in the weak-signal range. In rare cases it may make sense to use the SIG RMV menu entry on those that remain.

On Sep 10, 2013, at 10:10 AM, "Dave Anderson, K4SV" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have tried my K3 on 6 meters and was treated to a pile of large S3 birdies up and down the band.  Tech support says that condition is normal for 6 meters and to solve the situation when a birdies lands on a real signal is to use the filter shift.  Not a real good solution to the birdie problem.
>
> My question is, when installing and using the XV144, is one to expect the same massive birdies on 2 meters as well?  I am planning on using my K3 for EME and do not need a bunch of birdies.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dave Anderson, K4SV
> Tryon, NC
>  828 777-5088

> www.K4SV.net
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net/

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net/

Re: XV144 Operation

Rick WA6NHC
Birdies are radio internal not source external.  If you disconnect the antenna and they go away, they aren't birdies.

Rick wa6nhc

Tiny iPhone 5 keypad, typos are inevitable

On Sep 10, 2013, at 11:02 AM, W M3M <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I do not know the source of the birdies, suspect computers, power supplies, routers, etc etc.

Re: XV144 Operation

WM3M
I thought they had wings and flew around...just trying to help out......next time I use a dictionary first....

> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] XV144 Operation
> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 11:22:01 -0700
> To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
>
> Birdies are radio internal not source external.  If you disconnect the antenna and they go away, they aren't birdies.
>
> Rick wa6nhc
>
> Tiny iPhone 5 keypad, typos are inevitable
>
> On Sep 10, 2013, at 11:02 AM, W M3M <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I do not know the source of the birdies, suspect computers, power supplies, routers, etc etc.

Re: Slightly Off-Topic: Roving update of default repeater station

Ray Cadmus
It does exist for some systems.  There is a Repeater Book app  for
Android - don't know about Apple stuff.  Anyway, it will do a blue-tooth
setup for Yaesu radios (817, 857) via a blue-tooth adapter.

Check it out.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zbm2.repeaterbook&hl=en

May not be what you are after but shows the possibilities.

Regards,

ray    W0PFO

--

On 09/10/2013 11:46 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:

> This question has nothing to do with Elecraft rigs (well, possibly remotely if I assume a KX3 as mobile with the future to be provided 2-meter option).
>
> Yesterday I drove to Portland from my QTH of Kirkland near Seattle.  This is a 3 1/2 hour trip down I-5 (and, the return).  In the Seattle area, I had my 2-meter mobile rig in my truck sitting on a repeater frequency but it was not too long before I was out of range of that repeater.  I wondered briefly about changing to some nearby closer repeater but it was not that important to me but I started thinking about an automated way to do this.
>
> I have GPS in various guises with my Truck (iPhone, iPad, and my little Garmin GPS at times), so what if I had a way of extracting location, looking up location of nearest repeater in my database (if I had one), and then having a interface to my rig to update the repeater frequency, split offset, tone, etc.  All very possible.
>
> So, my question:  Does such a thing now exist?  I don't pay enough attention to repeater-life to know what other hams may have already created?
>
> 73, phil, K7PEH

Re: Slightly Off-Topic: Roving update of default repeater station

KE6BB
Mel,

That capability is available right now to hams using  APRS if the radio supports it.   I do not use it that way since if I am using APRS I have text messaging (chat) and I don’t really need a voice mode.   As a minimum, an APRS program can show you repeater locations along your route and you can tune them on your radio manually if you want.  Do a web search on APRSIS32 for an example of one of the newer programs.

Mark

KE6BB

Mel

Re: Slightly Off-Topic: Roving update of default repeater station

Mel
Thanks Mark.  I knew of the APRS system, just thought a simple method would do the trick without added equipment.

Mel. K6KBE

________________________________
That capability is available right now to hams using  APRS if the radio supports it.   I do not use it that way since if I am using APRS I have text messaging (chat) and I don’t really need a voice mode.   As a minimum, an APRS program can show you repeater locations along your route and you can tune them on your radio manually if you want.  Do a web search on APRSIS32 for an example of one of the newer programs.

Mark

KE6BB

Re: Slightly Off-Topic: Roving update of default repeater station

Bob-270

      Well I'm a little late to this thread but a starting point for a database
of repeaters for the GPS might be here:

http://www.poi-factory.com/taxonomy/term/40

      Although some files seem old it is still useful in that in a new area it
shows 90% or more of the repeaters with no effort.

      Getting the data to program the radio would be a neat and very useful
trick. Since radios are starting to have GPS's built in maybe the next
generation will be capable of loading on demand all repeaters within a radius
based on positional data. That would be a feature that would entice me to buy
a new HT and mobile radio as soon as that was available.

73,
Bob
K2TK  ex KN2TKR (1956) & K2TKR