Soldering crimped connectors is not a good thing.

Soldering crimped connectors is not a good thing.

k9jri
While many people recommend soldering crimped connectors, such as Anderson Power Poles, it is not a very good idea.  The reason(s) it is neither required, nor desired, is partially as follows:

1. A PROPERLY crimped connection creates a molecular bond between the conductor and the connector that is more conductive than soldering.
2. The soldering process causes corrosion because even rosin core solder is slightly acidic.
3. The solder that flows into or onto the conductor (wire) causes it to stiffen and increases the probability that vibration or movement will cause the wire to break at that point.
4. The annealing of the copper wire is altered which also increases the possibility of wire breakage due to vibration or movement.

It is absolutely necessary that the proper tool be used for the connection being crimped.  If you are going to use a crimped connection it is imperative that you have a tool that matches the connector.  If you do not have the proper tool then DO NOT use crimped connections.

Michael Blake

Re: Soldering crimped connectors is not a good thing.

Bob K6UJ
thanks Mike,   good info !

73
Bob
K6UJ

On 11/5/15 7:18 AM, Michael Blake wrote:

> While many people recommend soldering crimped connectors, such as Anderson Power Poles, it is not a very good idea.  The reason(s) it is neither required, nor desired, is partially as follows:
>
> 1. A PROPERLY crimped connection creates a molecular bond between the conductor and the connector that is more conductive than soldering.
> 2. The soldering process causes corrosion because even rosin core solder is slightly acidic.
> 3. The solder that flows into or onto the conductor (wire) causes it to stiffen and increases the probability that vibration or movement will cause the wire to break at that point.
> 4. The annealing of the copper wire is altered which also increases the possibility of wire breakage due to vibration or movement.
>
> It is absolutely necessary that the proper tool be used for the connection being crimped.  If you are going to use a crimped connection it is imperative that you have a tool that matches the connector.  If you do not have the proper tool then DO NOT use crimped connections.
>
> Michael Blake

Re: Soldering crimped connectors is not a good thing.

Jim Bolit
Questions:

1.  Does soldering make a molecular, gas tight connection?
2.  Cant you clean the soldered connection with a solution that is a base to
neutralize the acid.
3.  It does stiffen the wire
4.  Same as three.
5.  Which method has the lowest resistance, measuring with a short piece or
wire length to have the connector system dominate the measurement?

Jim
W6AIM

Re: Soldering crimped connectors is not a good thing.

ktalbott
Amen!

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.   Socrates

Re: Soldering crimped connectors is not a good thing.

Leroy

I have the proper tools.
Over time the joints have become intermittent.

The joints I properly crimped and soldered have never become intermittent.
I guess the molecular bond with solder is greater  ; )

Leroy

On 11/5/15 7:18 AM, Michael Blake wrote:

> While many people recommend soldering crimped connectors, such as Anderson
> Power Poles, it is not a very good idea.  The reason(s) it is neither
> required, nor desired, is partially as follows:
>
> 1. A PROPERLY crimped connection creates a molecular bond between the
> conductor and the connector that is more conductive than soldering.
> 2. The soldering process causes corrosion because even rosin core solder
> is slightly acidic.
> 3. The solder that flows into or onto the conductor (wire) causes it to
> stiffen and increases the probability that vibration or movement will
> cause the wire to break at that point.
> 4. The annealing of the copper wire is altered which also increases the
> possibility of wire breakage due to vibration or movement.
>
> It is absolutely necessary that the proper tool be used for the connection
> being crimped.  If you are going to use a crimped connection it is
> imperative that you have a tool that matches the connector.  If you do not
> have the proper tool then DO NOT use crimped connections.
>
> Michael Blake

Re: Soldering crimped connectors is not a good thing.

ae4pb
Is the connection intermittent at the contact point or at the crimp?
If your crimps fail over time there's an issue with the crimp or there's
extreme physical stress that's causing the crimp to fail.

Part of my background is Military Avionics. Our connections are constantly
subject to vibration, changing temperature, and changing humidity. I've
never seen a proper crimp fail. I've replaced crimps after the pins were
broken from improper mating or such. In the environment I came from it was
common to re-work soldered connectors due to conductor breakage over time
(consider the platform I flew on was from the 1960s).

Validate the connectors are rated for the wire gauge/type please.

Jerry Moore
CDXA, INDEXA, SKCC, Fists
AE4PB, K3S - S.N. 010324
http://www.qrz.com/db/AE4PB
An Amateur is - Considerate, Loyal, Progressive, Friendly, Balanced, and
Patriotic.

On 11/5/15 7:18 AM, Michael Blake wrote:

> While many people recommend soldering crimped connectors, such as
> Anderson Power Poles, it is not a very good idea.  The reason(s) it is
> neither required, nor desired, is partially as follows:
>
> 1. A PROPERLY crimped connection creates a molecular bond between the
> conductor and the connector that is more conductive than soldering.
> 2. The soldering process causes corrosion because even rosin core
> solder is slightly acidic.
> 3. The solder that flows into or onto the conductor (wire) causes it
> to stiffen and increases the probability that vibration or movement
> will cause the wire to break at that point.
> 4. The annealing of the copper wire is altered which also increases
> the possibility of wire breakage due to vibration or movement.
>
> It is absolutely necessary that the proper tool be used for the
> connection being crimped.  If you are going to use a crimped
> connection it is imperative that you have a tool that matches the
> connector.  If you do not have the proper tool then DO NOT use crimped
connections.

> Michael Blake

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to

Re: Soldering crimped connectors is not a good thing.

Jim Bolit
A remote sense (Kelvin contact) to the inside to the radio would eliminate
most of this IR drop debate.

Jim

W6AIM

Re: Soldering crimped connectors is not a good thing.

k9jri
Thanks Jim.  I will give you my best answer as it related to our Bell System/Bell Telephone Labs tests done prior to our total conversation to crimped and wire wrapped connections.

1. No, soldering doe not create a molecular connection but is (memory suffers here) an amalgam which changes over time as components of the solder leech out.  When new the soldered connection has a very slightly higher resistance than the properly crimped connection.

2.  Not sure as we did not attempt to remedy a known problem when it could be avoided with no negative results.  I suspect the answer is no as the contaminates within the soldered connection will continue to leech out over time.

5  The properly crimped connect has the lowest and most stable resistance over time.

Thanks for your interest Jim.

Michael Blake
K9JRI

> On Nov 5, 2015, at 10:34 AM, jim <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Questions:
>
> 1.  Does soldering make a molecular, gas tight connection?
> 2.  Cant you clean the soldered connection with a solution that is a base to
> neutralize the acid.
> 3.  It does stiffen the wire
> 4.  Same as three.
> 5.  Which method has the lowest resistance, measuring with a short piece or
> wire length to have the connector system dominate the measurement?
>
> Jim
> W6AIM

leroy, thanks for your comments.  I don’t know what to say other than your experiences are vastly different from my personal experiences as well as the experiences of both the telephone industry  (Bell System and Verizon) and the automotive industry.

While not intending to be mean spirited the fact that you have experienced this probably means that the failed connections were not really properly crimped.

Michael Blake
K9JRI

> On Nov 5, 2015, at 11:05 AM, lmarion <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> I have the proper tools.
> Over time the joints have become intermittent.
>
> The joints I properly crimped and soldered have never become intermittent.
> I guess the molecular bond with solder is greater  ; )
>
> Leroy
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Robert Harmon
> Sent: Thursday, November 05, 2015 8:30 AM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Soldering crimped connectors is not a good thing.
>
> thanks Mike,   good info !
>
> 73
> Bob
> K6UJ
>

> On 11/5/15 7:18 AM, Michael Blake wrote:
>> While many people recommend soldering crimped connectors, such as Anderson Power Poles, it is not a very good idea.  The reason(s) it is neither required, nor desired, is partially as follows:
>>
>> 1. A PROPERLY crimped connection creates a molecular bond between the conductor and the connector that is more conductive than soldering.
>> 2. The soldering process causes corrosion because even rosin core solder is slightly acidic.
>> 3. The solder that flows into or onto the conductor (wire) causes it to stiffen and increases the probability that vibration or movement will cause the wire to break at that point.
>> 4. The annealing of the copper wire is altered which also increases the possibility of wire breakage due to vibration or movement.
>>
>> It is absolutely necessary that the proper tool be used for the connection being crimped.  If you are going to use a crimped connection it is imperative that you have a tool that matches the connector.  If you do not have the proper tool then DO NOT use crimped connections.
>>
>> Michael Blake
>> [hidden email]

Re: Soldering crimped connectors is not a good thing.

NK7Z
Could someone recommend a good crimper please?  This has been a most
interesting discussion.
--
Thanks and 73's,
www.nk7z.net

For MixW support see;
For MM-SSTV see:

On Thu, 2015-11-05 at 12:41 -0500, Michael Blake wrote:

> leroy, thanks for your comments.  I don’t know what to say other than your experiences are vastly different from my personal experiences as well as the experiences of both the telephone industry  (Bell System and Verizon) and the automotive industry.
>
> While not intending to be mean spirited the fact that you have experienced this probably means that the failed connections were not really properly crimped.
>
> Michael Blake
> K9JRI
>

> > On Nov 5, 2015, at 11:05 AM, lmarion <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > I have the proper tools.
> > Over time the joints have become intermittent.
> >
> > The joints I properly crimped and soldered have never become intermittent.
> > I guess the molecular bond with solder is greater  ; )
> >
> > Leroy
> >
> > -----Original Message----- From: Robert Harmon
> > Sent: Thursday, November 05, 2015 8:30 AM
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Soldering crimped connectors is not a good thing.
> >
> > thanks Mike,   good info !
> >
> > 73
> > Bob
> > K6UJ
> >

> > On 11/5/15 7:18 AM, Michael Blake wrote:
> >> While many people recommend soldering crimped connectors, such as Anderson Power Poles, it is not a very good idea.  The reason(s) it is neither required, nor desired, is partially as follows:
> >>
> >> 1. A PROPERLY crimped connection creates a molecular bond between the conductor and the connector that is more conductive than soldering.
> >> 2. The soldering process causes corrosion because even rosin core solder is slightly acidic.
> >> 3. The solder that flows into or onto the conductor (wire) causes it to stiffen and increases the probability that vibration or movement will cause the wire to break at that point.
> >> 4. The annealing of the copper wire is altered which also increases the possibility of wire breakage due to vibration or movement.
> >>
> >> It is absolutely necessary that the proper tool be used for the connection being crimped.  If you are going to use a crimped connection it is imperative that you have a tool that matches the connector.  If you do not have the proper tool then DO NOT use crimped connections.
> >>
> >> Michael Blake
> >> [hidden email]

> >> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
> >>
> >> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> >> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
> >> Message delivered to [hidden email]

> > Message delivered to [hidden email]

> > Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Soldering crimped connectors is not a good thing.

Phil Hystad-3
I own the Anderson Power Pole Crimper and it is an excellent tool.  Best crimping tool I have ever used.

Highly recommend.  Not sure what it is costing these days but I paid $50 about 5 years ago.

73, phil, K7PEH

> On Nov 5, 2015, at 9:56 AM, Walter Underwood <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I recommend searching the internet and Amazon for “anderson power pole crimper”.
>
> wunder
> K6WRU
> CM87wj
> http://observer.wunderwood.org/ (my blog)
>
>> On Nov 5, 2015, at 9:51 AM, David Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Could someone recommend a good crimper please?  This has been a most
>> interesting discussion.
>> --
>> Thanks and 73's,
>> For equipment, and software setups and reviews see:
>> www.nk7z.net
>>
>> For MixW support see;
>> For MM-SSTV see:
>>

>> On Thu, 2015-11-05 at 12:41 -0500, Michael Blake wrote:
>>> leroy, thanks for your comments.  I don’t know what to say other than your experiences are vastly different from my personal experiences as well as the experiences of both the telephone industry  (Bell System and Verizon) and the automotive industry.
>>>
>>> While not intending to be mean spirited the fact that you have experienced this probably means that the failed connections were not really properly crimped.
>>>
>>> Michael Blake
>>> K9JRI

>>> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Soldering crimped connectors is not a good thing.

k9jri
Dave, that is really the key question and very difficult to answer.  For starters the crimper should have compound leverage and a ratchet that prevents you from releasing pressure before the crimp is complete.  In addition to that the crimper should have removable dies so that it can be used for multiple crimp connectors.

The real catcher is that the die used should be the correct die for the crimp connector itself.  The connector itself should also match the wire size used.

Sorry that was not a complete answer :)  If the crimper does not have compound leverage handles and replaceable dies I would avoid it unless it was purchased for one specific use.

Michael Blake
K9JRI

> On Nov 5, 2015, at 12:51 PM, David Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Could someone recommend a good crimper please?  This has been a most
> interesting discussion.
> --
> Thanks and 73's,
> For equipment, and software setups and reviews see:
> www.nk7z.net
>
> For MixW support see;
> For MM-SSTV see:
>

> On Thu, 2015-11-05 at 12:41 -0500, Michael Blake wrote:
>> leroy, thanks for your comments.  I don’t know what to say other than your experiences are vastly different from my personal experiences as well as the experiences of both the telephone industry  (Bell System and Verizon) and the automotive industry.
>>
>> While not intending to be mean spirited the fact that you have experienced this probably means that the failed connections were not really properly crimped.
>>
>> Michael Blake
>> K9JRI
>>

>>> On Nov 5, 2015, at 11:05 AM, lmarion <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> I have the proper tools.
>>> Over time the joints have become intermittent.
>>>
>>> The joints I properly crimped and soldered have never become intermittent.
>>> I guess the molecular bond with solder is greater  ; )
>>>
>>> Leroy
>>>
>>> -----Original Message----- From: Robert Harmon
>>> Sent: Thursday, November 05, 2015 8:30 AM
>>> To: [hidden email]
>>> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Soldering crimped connectors is not a good thing.
>>>
>>> thanks Mike,   good info !
>>>
>>> 73
>>> Bob
>>> K6UJ

>>> Message delivered to [hidden email]

>>> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Soldering crimped connectors is not a good thing.

ae4pb
I want to throw in the presence of possibly counterfeit connectors as well. If not counterfeit then at least lower quality. I fly RC and use many PP connections for batteries and motor controllers. In the past I purchased a pack of PP connectors from ebay thinking I got a deal. They looked ok but didn't crimp or hold up the same. I ended up dumping them and ordering replacements from powerwerx.
Just sharing my experience.

Jerry Moore
CDXA, INDEXA, SKCC, Fists
AE4PB, K3S - S.N. 010324
http://www.qrz.com/db/AE4PB
An Amateur is - Considerate, Loyal, Progressive, Friendly, Balanced, and Patriotic.

Dave, that is really the key question and very difficult to answer.  For starters the crimper should have compound leverage and a ratchet that prevents you from releasing pressure before the crimp is complete.  In addition to that the crimper should have removable dies so that it can be used for multiple crimp connectors.

The real catcher is that the die used should be the correct die for the crimp connector itself.  The connector itself should also match the wire size used.

Sorry that was not a complete answer :)  If the crimper does not have compound leverage handles and replaceable dies I would avoid it unless it was purchased for one specific use.

Michael Blake
K9JRI

> On Nov 5, 2015, at 12:51 PM, David Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Could someone recommend a good crimper please?  This has been a most
> interesting discussion.
> --
> Thanks and 73's,
> For equipment, and software setups and reviews see:
> www.nk7z.net
>
> For MixW support see;
> For MM-SSTV see:
>

> On Thu, 2015-11-05 at 12:41 -0500, Michael Blake wrote:
>> leroy, thanks for your comments.  I don’t know what to say other than your experiences are vastly different from my personal experiences as well as the experiences of both the telephone industry  (Bell System and Verizon) and the automotive industry.
>>
>> While not intending to be mean spirited the fact that you have experienced this probably means that the failed connections were not really properly crimped.
>>
>> Michael Blake
>> K9JRI
>>

>>> On Nov 5, 2015, at 11:05 AM, lmarion <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> I have the proper tools.
>>> Over time the joints have become intermittent.
>>>
>>> The joints I properly crimped and soldered have never become intermittent.
>>> I guess the molecular bond with solder is greater  ; )
>>>
>>> Leroy
>>>
>>> -----Original Message----- From: Robert Harmon
>>> Sent: Thursday, November 05, 2015 8:30 AM
>>> To: [hidden email]
>>> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Soldering crimped connectors is not a good thing.
>>>
>>> thanks Mike,   good info !
>>>
>>> 73
>>> Bob
>>> K6UJ

>>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net Please help support this
>>> email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to
>>> [hidden email]

>>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net Please help support this
>>> email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to
>>> [hidden email]

>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net Please help support this
>> email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to
>> [hidden email]

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to

Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Soldering crimped connectors is not a good thing.

May I also give you some personal experience in HIGH power AC connections.  All of the connections are compression type, no solder no crimp, but metal to metal, like copper 0000 cable and brass terminals will brass set screws.  In all of my years, it was common practice to tighten the connections to the correct torque setting, then wait 24 to 48 hours and RE-TORQUE them as the metal under compression relaxes after the initial setting and every time the required torque had to be reset.  I feel the same way with single crimp connections.
Mel, K6KBE

> [...]

> >> 4. The annealing of the copper wire is altered which also increases the possibility of wire breakage due to vibration or movement.
> >>
> >> It is absolutely necessary that the proper tool be used for the connection being crimped.  If you are going to use a crimped connection it is imperative that you have a tool that matches the connector.  If you do not have the proper tool then DO NOT use crimped connections.
> >>
> >> Michael Blake
> >> [hidden email]

> >> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
> >>
> >> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> >> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
> >> Message delivered to [hidden email]

> > Message delivered to [hidden email]

> > Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Soldering crimped connectors is not a good thing.

Grant Youngman
This one … wroth every penny.

http://www.powerwerx.com/crimping-tools/tricrimp-crimping-powerpole-contacts.html <http://www.powerwerx.com/crimping-tools/tricrimp-crimping-powerpole-contacts.html>

Grant NQ5T
K3 #2091, KX3 #8342

>> On Nov 5, 2015, at 12:51 PM, David Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Could someone recommend a good crimper please?  This has been a most
>> interesting discussion.

Re: Soldering crimped connectors is not a good thing.

David,

There is no one good crimper - and that is what makes getting a good
crimp as a ham who is dealing with a variety of wire sizes and
connectors an expensive deal.  There is only one good *type* of crimper,
and that is the racheting type.  Some come with changable dies while
others are task specific.
The crimp connector must be properly sized to the wire, and the die must
be sized to the connector body.

If the only thing you are going to crimp are Anderson PowerPoles, get
the one specifically for that application - but also get the proper size
APP contacts for the wire size you will be using.  If the wire does not
fill the wire cavity, the crimp will not be good and may pull out.
Crimping to solid wire is also problematic.
If you don't have the right crimper, it is better to solder for most ham
applications.  Mobile/high vibration applications will do better with
crimping, and if you have to solder those for mobile use, support the
wire about 2 inches away from the connector to prevent flexing where the
solder has wicked up the wire.

On 11/5/2015 12:51 PM, David Cole wrote:
> Could someone recommend a good crimper please?  This has been a most
> interesting discussion.

Re: Soldering crimped connectors is not a good thing.

Lynn W. Taylor, WB6UUT
Depends on what you're crimping doesn't it?

On 11/5/2015 10:28 AM, GRANT YOUNGMAN wrote:

> This one … wroth every penny.
>
> http://www.powerwerx.com/crimping-tools/tricrimp-crimping-powerpole-contacts.html <http://www.powerwerx.com/crimping-tools/tricrimp-crimping-powerpole-contacts.html>
>

> Grant NQ5T
> K3 #2091, KX3 #8342
>

>>> On Nov 5, 2015, at 12:51 PM, David Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Could someone recommend a good crimper please?  This has been a most
>>> interesting discussion.

Re: Soldering crimped connectors is not a good thing.

k9jri
I agree Grant.  That is a very good choice!

Michael Blake
K9JRI

> On Nov 5, 2015, at 1:28 PM, GRANT YOUNGMAN <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This one … wroth every penny.
>
> http://www.powerwerx.com/crimping-tools/tricrimp-crimping-powerpole-contacts.html <http://www.powerwerx.com/crimping-tools/tricrimp-crimping-powerpole-contacts.html>
>

> Grant NQ5T
> K3 #2091, KX3 #8342
>

>>> On Nov 5, 2015, at 12:51 PM, David Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Could someone recommend a good crimper please?  This has been a most
>>> interesting discussion.

Re: Soldering crimped connectors is not a good thing.

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft
Folks - let's wrap this thread this morning in the interest of reducing list
email overload - we're hitting the single topic limit.

73,
Eric
List moderator
/elecraft.com/

Re: Soldering crimped connectors is not a good thing.

Bob McGraw - K4TAX
Actually I view it as "incorrect info".  Most hams in fact do not have a
proper crimping tool.  They cost quite a few dollars.  I have a good
idea as we used them in our manufacturing processes and they average $45
and up......way up!    So we hams use what ever is at hand, be they the
VACO multipurpose tool that sell for $4 to $5.  Or we likely don't have
the proper die for the connector should we have a crimping tool.

I'll take my chances on my crimp and solder process as to opposed to any
crimp method.   After all, there's little to no vibration to ever exist
with my radios and power supplies sitting on the desk.  I don't consider
#3 or #4 to be a concern.

My take is that the  sentence in the last paragraph "It is absolutely
necessary that the proper tool be used for the connection being
crimped.  If you are going to use a crimped connection it is imperative
that you have a tool that matches the connector.  If you do not have the
proper tool then DO NOT use crimped connector." negates your reasons.
So if one can't crimp, what's left? Solder.

73
Bob, K4TAX