Source for K3 weighted knobs

w0mu
I found two sources 73CNC.com and a LZ2 site.  Neither one seem to ever
have stock.  Are there any other sources?

W0MU

Re: Source for K3 weighted knobs

Elecraft mailing list
The stock one is weighted

I found two sources 73CNC.com and a LZ2 site.  Neither one seem to ever
have stock.  Are there any other sources?

W0MU

Re: Source for K3 weighted knobs

Both the stock VFO A knob and VFO B knob are weighted. The VFO A knob also has a soft-touch rubber ring.

I have to admit I'm a little baffled as to why any different knobs would be desirable. We tried to optimize for both function and aesthetics. But hey, I'm just an engineer :)

On Jan 17, 2017, at 10:31 AM, Harry Yingst via Elecraft <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The stock one is weighted

Guy Olinger K2AV
Noting I am not saying there is a cost-justification ...

The non-stock weighted knob I have now on my K3 is quite heavy, very
smooth and all rounded edges, so no sharp edges to irritate. Plus it
has a ball-bearing dimple for silk-smooth dimple tuning.

Yeah, it is over the top, but I'm old and get to have over the top now
and then. I didn't buy a Cadillac and stuck with the Fords, so I've
got some left for splurging.

73, Guy K2AV

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 1:36 PM, Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Both the stock VFO A knob and VFO B knob are weighted. The VFO A knob also has a soft-touch rubber ring.
>
> I have to admit I'm a little baffled as to why any different knobs would be desirable. We tried to optimize for both function and aesthetics. But hey, I'm just an engineer :)
>
> Wayne
> N6KR
>

> On Jan 17, 2017, at 10:31 AM, Harry Yingst via Elecraft <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The stock one is weighted

My father was an engineer from a long line of German craftsmen, so I have come to appreciate the beauty in something well engineered.

The entire K-Line is quite pleasing to the eye stock. The beauty of simple clean lines is one of the things
that drew me to the K-Line in the first place (and probably why I keep buying all the matching pieces).

Admittedly when I got my K-Pod I was tempted to change out the new style rubber grip for the old style just to keep things all uniform.

Both the stock VFO A knob and VFO B knob are weighted. The VFO A knob also has a soft-touch rubber ring.

I have to admit I'm a little baffled as to why any different knobs would be desirable. We tried to optimize for both function and aesthetics. But hey, I'm just an engineer :)

On Jan 17, 2017, at 10:31 AM, Harry Yingst via Elecraft <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The stock one is weighted

alorona
Take it from me: metal knobs are overrated. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit this but I once obtained some really spiffy metal knobs to replace the plastic ones and ultimately put the plastic ones back on because I believe plastic really does have a better feel, especially when knobs are small. I now advise anybody considering metal knobs not to waste their money or their time.
Al  W6LX

Re: Source for K3 weighted knobs

Hajo Dezelski
​Hi Wayne,

[OT]​

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 9:34 PM, Harry Yingst via Elecraft <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have to admit I'm a little baffled as to why any different knobs would
> be desirable. We tried to optimize for both function and aesthetics. But
> hey, I'm just an engineer :)

​If you would adopt some of the design ideas of a company near by (Apple)
your sales would explode ;-)
[/OT]​

​PS: I have no Apple products ... too expensive​

​73 de

Hajo
​ DL1SDZ​

---
Cela est bien dit, mais il faut cultiver notre jardin.

http://hajos-kontrapunkte.blogspot.de/

Re: Source for K3 weighted knobs

Jean-François Ménard

I would like also to add….. by adding more weight on the shaft could not probably a good idea too!

I remember that I changed the one for my former K2 back in 2004 with a Yaesu FT-100 knob…. It was a good move at that time… But now, I really like the one that came with my K3S.

73 de Jeff | VA2SS

Jeff | VA2SS
Jean-François Ménard

[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
www.VA2SS.com <http://www.va2ss.com/>

Membre de / Member of :
ARRL / AMSAT / QRP ARCI / FISTS / SKCC / MICHIGAN QRP CLUB

Message envoyé à partir de mon appareil mobile.
Message sent from my portable device.

Re: Source for K3 weighted knobs

Leroy
Ditto that,  the K3s/KPOD  knobs are deluxe!

73 Leroy AB7CE

Re: Source for K3 weighted knobs

Mike Smith VE9AA
I bought my K3 used and it came with very fancy brass? weighted knobs.

I used them a couple times and put the stock ones back on.

I think Wayne et al got it right.

Mike VE9AA

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB

Re: Source for K3 weighted knobs

For those who have the K3 and want to upgrade the knob, the only thing
you need to order is the Neoprene Soft Grip Ring - p/n NEOGRIP

The underlying knob is the same as used on the K3S.

On 1/17/2017 4:51 PM, lmarion wrote:
> Ditto that,  the K3s/KPOD  knobs are deluxe!

Re: Source for K3 weighted knobs

Niel Skousen
Has anyone used the K3s knob on a K2 ?

Does it fit, how do you like it ??

Niel

On Jan 17, 2017, at 3:53 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For those who have the K3 and want to upgrade the knob, the only thing you need to order is the Neoprene Soft Grip Ring - p/n NEOGRIP
>
> The underlying knob is the same as used on the K3S.

> On 1/17/2017 4:51 PM, lmarion wrote:
>> Ditto that,  the K3s/KPOD  knobs are deluxe!

Re: Source for K3 weighted knobs

Don Wilhelm
Neil,

First, the K3 knob(s) will not fit the shaft of the older encoder on the
K2.  If the K2 was built quite recently (or has had the encoder changed
to the new one), then the K3 knob(s) will fit.

I would suggest the K3 VFO B knob for those newer K2s - the VFO A knob
is too large and its diameter interferes with the display plastic.  You
would have to add substantial thickness to the felt washer to provide a
bit of drag on the knob.

Know that the K2 knob is weighted, but its weight is not as heavy as the
CNC knobs that have been offered.

My gut feeling is that one reason that those heavy knobs are used is to
allow giving the knob a spin to make large QSY excursions.  The problem
with that is with a free-spinning knob, the knob may move after it is
stopped, so the frequency you thought you stopped at will be changed
when you lift your fingers from the knob.  I have had several K2s sent
to me for repair that had no drag on the knob, and part of the reason
for sending the K2 for repair was that "the K2 drifts".
There must be some drag on the knob if this "drift" is to be avoided.

Lastly, if you install a heavy knob and then ship your radio for any
reason, you should remove the knob to assure that the encoder shaft will
not be damaged during shipment.

On 1/17/2017 6:11 PM, Niel Skousen wrote:
> Has anyone used the K3s knob on a K2 ?
>
> Does it fit, how do you like it ??

Re: Source for K3 weighted knobs

Bob-270
Hi Wayne,

            Well after all the hype here about the original 73CNC knobs I got a
main knob.   Surely personal but I liked the change in rotational feel.  Subtle
but there.   Worth the money I'd say no but the deed was done.

             Along came the model with the aluminum inserts and dimple with a
bearing.   They so reminded me of the Collins gear I wished for and the Heath SB
series I had way, back then that I got a set.  Liked them and got a K2 matching
knob from his limited run of that.

             Along comes the KPOD....   Knob didn't match. No response from
73CNC.  Did a WTB on the reflector and secured another.

              As a retired engineer sometimes "eye candy" wins over function.
A Ferrari or  Chevy will both get me to the store for a quart of milk but......

              My KX3 feels neglected.  Wants verses needs are totally different.

73,

Bob

K2TK  ex KN2TKR (1956) & K2TKR

On 1/17/2017 1:36 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> Both the stock VFO A knob and VFO B knob are weighted. The VFO A knob also has a soft-touch rubber ring.
>
> I have to admit I'm a little baffled as to why any different knobs would be desirable. We tried to optimize for both function and aesthetics. But hey, I'm just an engineer :)
>
> Wayne
> N6KR
>

> On Jan 17, 2017, at 10:31 AM, Harry Yingst via Elecraft <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The stock one is weighted

tomb18
HiI have one of the weighted CNC knows on my K3. I've had it for about 3 Years.  I rarely tune the radio with the know using mostly software. However now a days when I do turn the knob there is a very pronounced dead spot, and a notch in the turning of the knob. The weight of the knob has permanently altered the feel of the encoder and I fear it will need to be replaced one day.Because of this,  I do not recommend weighted knows on a k3. Perhaps if you use it every day it would be different. But if you mostly just let it sit  my experience is that it will permanently damage the encoder over time.73 Tom va2fsq.com

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> Date: 2017-01-17  7:06 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: Niel Skousen <[hidden email]>, Elecraft Reflector <[hidden email]> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Source for K3 weighted knobs
Neil,

First, the K3 knob(s) will not fit the shaft of the older encoder on the
K2.  If the K2 was built quite recently (or has had the encoder changed
to the new one), then the K3 knob(s) will fit.

I would suggest the K3 VFO B knob for those newer K2s - the VFO A knob
is too large and its diameter interferes with the display plastic.  You
would have to add substantial thickness to the felt washer to provide a
bit of drag on the knob.

Know that the K2 knob is weighted, but its weight is not as heavy as the
CNC knobs that have been offered.

My gut feeling is that one reason that those heavy knobs are used is to
allow giving the knob a spin to make large QSY excursions.  The problem
with that is with a free-spinning knob, the knob may move after it is
stopped, so the frequency you thought you stopped at will be changed
when you lift your fingers from the knob.  I have had several K2s sent
to me for repair that had no drag on the knob, and part of the reason
for sending the K2 for repair was that "the K2 drifts".
There must be some drag on the knob if this "drift" is to be avoided.

Lastly, if you install a heavy knob and then ship your radio for any
reason, you should remove the knob to assure that the encoder shaft will
not be damaged during shipment.

On 1/17/2017 6:11 PM, Niel Skousen wrote:
> Has anyone used the K3s knob on a K2 ?
>
> Does it fit, how do you like it ??

Re: Source for K3 weighted knobs

w0mu
Thank all for the info on the knobs.  I have ordered  the Neogrip to
give them a try first.

W0MU

On 1/17/2017 3:53 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> For those who have the K3 and want to upgrade the knob, the only thing
> you need to order is the Neoprene Soft Grip Ring - p/n NEOGRIP
>
> The underlying knob is the same as used on the K3S.

> On 1/17/2017 4:51 PM, lmarion wrote:
>> Ditto that,  the K3s/KPOD  knobs are deluxe!

Re: Source for K3 weighted knobs

Bill Frantz
I am quite happy with the knobs that Elecraft supplies, although
I might like a ball bearing dimple.

Given that most of the adjustments are digital in nature, what I
would really like is tactile feedback whenever the radio moves
to the next step, like I have on the heater controls in my car,
and have had on the controls for some stereo equipment. For
example, I could then adjust RIT/XIT by feel without having to
look at the radio. I don't know if the many-step encoders
Elecraft uses can be had with tactile feedback, but I would be
very nice.

73 Bill AE6JV

Re: Source for K3 weighted knobs

Don Wilhelm
Bill,

I fear if detented encoders would be used, there would be many who would
complain about the lack of analog control between the encoder steps.  I
for one prefer the non-detented controls.

On 1/18/2017 2:59 PM, Bill Frantz wrote:

> I am quite happy with the knobs that Elecraft supplies, although I might
> like a ball bearing dimple.
>
> Given that most of the adjustments are digital in nature, what I would
> really like is tactile feedback whenever the radio moves to the next
> step, like I have on the heater controls in my car, and have had on the
> controls for some stereo equipment. For example, I could then adjust
> RIT/XIT by feel without having to look at the radio. I don't know if the
> many-step encoders Elecraft uses can be had with tactile feedback, but I
> would be very nice.
>
> 73 Bill AE6JV

Re: Source for K3 weighted knobs

Honestly VFO A is perfect with the neoprene ring, but VFO B is a just a tad too small and needs a neoprene ring too, IMHO.  For my taste, a neoprene ring for VFO B would solve the size issue.  But then, I am just a user of the product.  :-)
73,
Bob/AA6VB

Both the stock VFO A knob and VFO B knob are weighted. The VFO A knob also has a soft-touch rubber ring.

I have to admit I'm a little baffled as to why any different knobs would be desirable. We tried to optimize for both function and aesthetics. But hey, I'm just an engineer :)

Re: Source for K3 weighted knobs

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604
I put a bit of bicycle inner tube on my VFO-B and it did the trick.