Stereo Speaker for K3

w5sum
    I’m interested in getting a nice stereo speaker for my K3 so I can listen to both of my rx’s at the same time without having to wear cans. What can be recommended?

Thanks

Ronnie W5SUM

Re: Stereo Speaker for K3

Robin Moseley
Phonema speakers,  I have them,,  they sound great!

Re: Stereo Speaker for K3

hf4me
DO you listen to FM radio on your K3?  If not, get communication speakers and not music speakers.  73, Jim KG0KP

    I’m interested in getting a nice stereo speaker for my K3 so I can listen to both of my rx’s at the same time without having to wear cans. What can be recommended?

Thanks

Ronnie W5SUM

Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Stereo Speaker for K3

Ronnie,

Find yourself a pair of 'bookshelf' speakers normally used for "HiFi
stereo" installations.
Those small speakers were popular some time ago.  I picked up a pair of
Radio Shack Optimus speakers in a second hand store for $5 and they work
great with my K3 - those speakers are 5 inch cubes.  They are not
powered - just speakers, so no worry about RF getting into the amplifier.
Alternately, build your own small speaker enclosure and mount a good
high fidelity speaker inside (look at the audiophile sites).
Get a full range speaker - the speaker should not restrict the audio
frequency response, the K3 has the RX EQ which will allow you to tailor
the audio response that you want to hear.

With my KX3, I needed amplified speakers, and after many trials with PC
speakers which howled during transmit, I 'bit the bullet' and ordered a
pair of West Mountain Radio COMspkrs - shielded and nary a sound of RF
feedback from them even with the KXPA100.  They are a bit larger than I
would like, but they do work fine.  They will work great with the K3.

On 11/21/2015 6:24 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>      I’m interested in getting a nice stereo speaker for my K3 so I can listen to both of my rx’s at the same time without having to wear cans. What can be recommended?

Re: Stereo Speaker for K3

Bob McGraw - K4TAX
Small bookshelf type non amplified speakers.  I don't suggest "computer
types" as they are typically amplified.  I found some Radio
Shack/Realistic speakers being discontinued as catalog #40-1313.  They
work quite nice.

73
Bob, K4TAX

On 11/21/2015 5:24 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> I’m interested in getting a nice stereo speaker for my K3 so I can listen to both of my rx’s at the same time without having to wear cans. What can be recommended?

Re: Stereo Speaker for K3

Bob McGraw - K4TAX
I have a pair of Optimus that I no longer use.   Contact me off
reflector for more details.

73
Bob, K4TAX

On 11/21/2015 6:02 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
> I picked up a pair of Radio Shack Optimus speakers in a second hand
> store for $5 and they work great with my K3 - those speakers are 5
> inch cubes.  They are not powered - just speakers, so no worry about
> RF getting into the amplifier.

Re: Stereo Speaker for K3

Steve Ellington-2
​I'm surprised nobody mentioned the SP3.
I like mine. It's hard to find any mention of it on the Elecraft web site
however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2EmW46zgDw
Steve N4LQ​

On Sat, Nov 21, 2015 at 6:24 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

>     I’m interested in getting a nice stereo speaker for my K3 so I can
> listen to both of my rx’s at the same time without having to wear cans.
> What can be recommended?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ronnie W5SUM

Re: Stereo Speaker for K3

Bill-3
I use the Behringer MS40 amplified speakers. RF has never bothered them
(1 kW) and they have two channels of input - so you can use left/right
K3 (each RX) and the other for left/right from your computer.

If you want something a little less expensive, the Creative Inspire T10
amplified computer speakers do fine also and are not bothered by RF.

Of course, this is my experience, nay-sayers and others my not
experience the same.

Bill W2BLC K-Line

Re: Stereo Speaker for K3

w5sum

Thanks for the positive responses y'all, I'll pick up some speakers soon.

as for the unpositive responses off the list, dang.. I'm new to this list
and didn't realize there were so many hateful people. I didn't know this had
been hashed over before on this list.

I shall not bother y'all further.

Ronnie W5SUM

Re: Stereo Speaker for K3

Bob McGraw - K4TAX
Indeed true on both points.    While I find the the product to be really
quite nice,  based on some private or personal e-mails I've received
since joining the list in July, I'd say the "people" have a long way to
go in terms of quality to measure up to the company and the product.  It
is amazing what lurks hiding behind the keyboard.

73
Bob, K4TAX
K3S s/n 10163

On 11/22/2015 5:12 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> I'm new to this list and didn't realize there were so many hateful
> people.   I didn't know this had
> been hashed over before on this list.

Re: Stereo Speaker for K3

Ian Kahn, KM4IK
Ronnie,

Please don't let the few bad eggs in this group color your opinion of this
entire group. We've all asked questions here which were repeats of questions
asked, answered, and the responses archived. I find the archives for this
group to be sometimes a bit overwhelming and cumbersome to work with. It is
possible to miss something that is in there. Most of the members of this
group will simply either ignore the fact the question has been asked and
answered, or answer the question, and then point out that you can also
search the archive for previous questions/responses. And you will NEVER get
a mean-spirited or nasty response from any of the Elecraft employees who
monitor this list. I know I sound like a Kool-Aid drinker (I prefer to think
I go head-first into the punchbowl, myself :-) ), but Eric and Wayne have
gone out of their way to hire staff who are not only very knowledgeable in
their particular areas, but who strive to help us poor users make sure we
have the best experience possible, regardless of which piece of Elecraft
gear we own.

Keep posting those questions, and they'll keep getting answered properly.

73 de,

--Ian
Ian Kahn, KM4IK
Roswell, GA  EM74ua
[hidden email]
10-10 #74624, North Georgia Chapter #2038
PODXS 070 #1962
K3# 281, P3 #688, KAT500 #860, KPA500 #1468

Re: Stereo Speaker for K3

Fred Smith
Waited for a while to reply on this as "Don" gave an excellent reply as far
as speakers when he suggested the West Mountain Radio COMspkr for about $50
a pair. These work as well as some I have bought for $250 ea. from makers of
different radios I have owned, "own" as these that I have used on my K3 for
well over 4 yrs now. Even with a legal limit amp 2' away from them never a
single issue with this set of powered speakers.

73,
Fred/N0AZZ
K3 Ser # 6730--KX3 # 5210--K2/100 # 6470-KAT100
P3/SVGA--KAT500--W2
Amps Elecraft KPA500 HF/6m--Alpha's 9500 HF--87A HF--Mirage B-5030-G
300+w--(2) B-5016-G's 165w 2m

Indeed true on both points.    While I find the the product to be really
quite nice,  based on some private or personal e-mails I've received since
joining the list in July, I'd say the "people" have a long way to go in
terms of quality to measure up to the company and the product.  It is
amazing what lurks hiding behind the keyboard.

73
Bob, K4TAX
K3S s/n 10163

On 11/22/2015 5:12 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> I'm new to this list and didn't realize there were so many hateful
> people.   I didn't know this had
> been hashed over before on this list.

Re: Stereo Speaker for K3

bhemmis
I’m surprised no-one has mentioned the small Bose powered speakers that have been so popular on the Flex group. As an audiophile I always poo-pooed Bose products in general.
Saw them at Sam’s club for under a hundred bucks a couple years ago and figured I’d try ‘em then do a return if I wasn’t pleased.
Fast forward- I now have 4 pairs of them in 2 shacks !
Small, powerful, highly RF proof, look great and you can hook up 2 radios to each set.
If you have a nearby Sam’s club I’d suggest giving them a try.
Brian K3USC (since 1962)

> On Nov 22, 2015, at 10:13 AM, Fred Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Waited for a while to reply on this as "Don" gave an excellent reply as far
> as speakers when he suggested the West Mountain Radio COMspkr for about $50
> a pair. These work as well as some I have bought for $250 ea. from makers of
> different radios I have owned, "own" as these that I have used on my K3 for
> well over 4 yrs now. Even with a legal limit amp 2' away from them never a
> single issue with this set of powered speakers.
>

> 73,
> Fred/N0AZZ
> K3 Ser # 6730--KX3 # 5210--K2/100 # 6470-KAT100
> P3/SVGA--KAT500--W2
> Amps Elecraft KPA500 HF/6m--Alpha's 9500 HF--87A HF--Mirage B-5030-G
> 300+w--(2) B-5016-G's 165w 2m

There are many newcomers to this list, and I for one do not mind
repeating an answer to something that has been hashed over before. Sorry
to hear that you have encountered some "nasty spoilsports".  I may
encourage newcomers to review the list archives to provide additional
information, but I will never admonish a newcomer for asking a
question.  This is an email list, and not a FAQ listing.

Back to the speakers question, Elecraft has recently released the SP3
which works great with the K3 and K3S, but if you have the KX3 in your
home station, you really need amplified speakers.  As I stated before,
shielded speakers are a 'must' because most amplified computer speakers
will 'howl' in the presence of RF (it depends on the band).  At the
workbench, I have that situation with my standard issue computer
speakers even at 10 watts working into a dummy load. Since I know what
to expect (and I am just testing at the workbench, not operating, I
ignore it, but that would not be tolerated for the hamshack).
If you need good shielded and amplified speakers, I can vouch for the
West Mountain Radio COMspkr.  It works FB with my KX3 with KXPA100.
With the K3, non-amplified speakers work fine, and I will continue to
use my bargain basement RS Optimus speakers.  If you have the K3 or K3S
and are looking for speakers, the Elecraft SP3 is a great choice (it is
not an amplified speaker) and matches the K3, K3S for those who like
matching components.

On 11/22/2015 6:12 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Thanks for the positive responses y'all, I'll pick up some speakers soon.
>
> as for the unpositive responses off the list, dang.. I'm new to this list
> and didn't realize there were so many hateful people. I didn't know
> this had
> been hashed over before on this list.
>
> I shall not bother y'all further.

Re: Stereo Speaker for K3

Peter Pauly
What's the model number Brian?

On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 11:26 AM, Brian Hemmis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’m surprised no-one has mentioned the small Bose powered speakers that
> have been so popular on the Flex group. As an audiophile I always poo-pooed
> Bose products in general.
> Saw them at Sam’s club for under a hundred bucks a couple years ago and
> figured I’d try ‘em then do a return if I wasn’t pleased.
> Fast forward- I now have 4 pairs of them in 2 shacks !
> Small, powerful, highly RF proof, look great and you can hook up 2 radios
> to each set.
> If you have a nearby Sam’s club I’d suggest giving them a try.
> Brian K3USC (since 1962)

Re: Stereo Speaker for K3

bhemmis
Bose Companion 3. Don’t see them listed on the Sam’s site now-maybe Amazon or eBay.
Here’s more than you ever wanted to know about Bose computer speakers:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bose_computer_speakers
73, Brian USC

> On Nov 22, 2015, at 11:31 AM, Peter Pauly <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What's the model number Brian?
>
> On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 11:26 AM, Brian Hemmis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I’m surprised no-one has mentioned the small Bose powered speakers that
>> have been so popular on the Flex group. As an audiophile I always poo-pooed
>> Bose products in general.
>> Saw them at Sam’s club for under a hundred bucks a couple years ago and
>> figured I’d try ‘em then do a return if I wasn’t pleased.
>> Fast forward- I now have 4 pairs of them in 2 shacks !
>> Small, powerful, highly RF proof, look great and you can hook up 2 radios
>> to each set.
>> If you have a nearby Sam’s club I’d suggest giving them a try.
>> Brian K3USC (since 1962)

Re: Stereo Speaker for K3

I used 6" bookshelf speakers for several years with very good results
until I got tired of the extra room they took on the desk.  About a
year ago I picked up a set of Pye PCB3BK 3.5" cube speakers ... a
perfect size to set on either side of the "K-Line" ... for about
$25 on Amazon.com.  Since then, I've picked up several other pairs
for my second K3 and other rigs.

I like the PCB3BK because its 90 Hz - 18 KHz response is far more
appropriate for "communications".  They do not rumble and turn muddy
with low frequency noise like the larger bookshelf speakers and/or
amplified speaker systems while the high frequency response is more
than enough to prevent distortion on the high end.  They are efficient
enough that the K3's audio amplifier is capable of creating more than
90 dBa sound levels without running into apparent distortion.

On 11/22/2015 1:00 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

> Ouch! Those complaining do not represent the Ham community at large or this
> list membership. There is only one "list moderator" and that's Eric at
> Elecraft. If someone complains about a post here, even off of the reflector,
> let Eric know.
>
> Don gave you a very complete answer. The SP3 sounds great. I also have a
> pair of 6-inch speakers in "bookshelf" enclosures (dating from the 1970's -
> one advantage of being an O.T.) that also work FB.
>
> 73, Ron AC7AC

Re: Stereo Speaker for K3

Fred Smith
I agree don't worry about those who complain, as I said earlier Don's suggestions were right on target on a low cost speaker for any radio.

73,
Fred/N0AZZ

Sent from my iPad

> On Nov 22, 2015, at 12:00 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ouch! Those complaining do not represent the Ham community at large or this
> list membership. There is only one "list moderator" and that's Eric at
> Elecraft. If someone complains about a post here, even off of the reflector,
> let Eric know.
>
> Don gave you a very complete answer. The SP3 sounds great. I also have a
> pair of 6-inch speakers in "bookshelf" enclosures (dating from the 1970's -
> one advantage of being an O.T.) that also work FB.
>
> 73, Ron AC7AC

Re: Stereo Speaker for K3

Kevin Stover
Sorry about the bad attitude from some. Bet they like to troll around DX
pileups and send/yell UP!! as well.
Vote number three for the West Mountain CommSPKR's. I have two pair, one
on the shack computer and one on the radio. The only thing done to mine
is lengthening the short, my opinion, cable.

--
R. Kevin Stover
AC0H

---

Re: Stereo Speaker for K3

Stephen Hanes
Another speaker to consider would be the Palstar SP30B.

73,

Steve Hanes, K4VWS

Sent from Windows Mail