Straight Key in parallel with PC keying

K4GM-George
Currently I manually switch between PC keying via a Microham Winkeyer
which keys via N1MM and a straight key by unplugging and re-plugging in
the back of the radio.  I have been reluctant to simply parallel the two
by means of a Y cable for fear that sending with the straight key would
place a direct short across the output of the winkeyer and wreak havoc
on my winkeyer.   Am I being unduly concerned??  Or is there enough
isolation built into the Winkeyer so that all will be well??   If I
could use a Y cable I would have the PC, the paddle, and the straight
key all available all the time which would be great.   Thanks in advance
to all who respond.

73, George K4GM

Re: Straight Key in parallel with PC keying

Merv Schweigert
I just made up a small box with 6 jacks on it,  for 6 different keys,
keyers or whatever,
all that is needed are some cheap diodes to "steer" the keyer in use.
Diodes block
whatever is being done from going back down the line to another
device.   Another
jack goes to a cable to the K3.
No switches to throw,  nothing to worry about.  Think I used 1n4007 or
some such
cheap diode.   Been using the same box on many radios for the past 20 years
with no problems.
73 Merv K9FD/KH6

> Currently I manually switch between PC keying via a Microham Winkeyer
> which keys via N1MM and a straight key by unplugging and re-plugging
> in the back of the radio.  I have been reluctant to simply parallel
> the two by means of a Y cable for fear that sending with the straight
> key would place a direct short across the output of the winkeyer and
> wreak havoc on my winkeyer.   Am I being unduly concerned??  Or is
> there enough isolation built into the Winkeyer so that all will be
> well??   If I could use a Y cable I would have the PC, the paddle, and
> the straight key all available all the time which would be great.
> Thanks in advance to all who respond.
>
> 73, George K4GM

Re: Straight Key in parallel with PC keying

> I have been reluctant to simply parallel the two by means of a Y
> cable for fear that sending with the straight key would place a
> direct short across the output of the winkeyer and wreak havoc on my
> winkeyer. Am I being unduly concerned??

Yes, you are being overly concerned <G>.

The CW output of all microHAM keyers is an open collector NPN
transistor capable of handling +48V DC and at least 100 mA.  Unless
your key generated a negative voltage when it is open, there is no
issue connecting a straight key directly in parallel with the CW
output of any microHAM keyer.

On 9/12/2013 12:54 PM, K4GM-George wrote:

> Currently I manually switch between PC keying via a Microham Winkeyer
> which keys via N1MM and a straight key by unplugging and re-plugging in
> the back of the radio.  I have been reluctant to simply parallel the two
> by means of a Y cable for fear that sending with the straight key would
> place a direct short across the output of the winkeyer and wreak havoc
> on my winkeyer.   Am I being unduly concerned??  Or is there enough
> isolation built into the Winkeyer so that all will be well??   If I
> could use a Y cable I would have the PC, the paddle, and the straight
> key all available all the time which would be great.   Thanks in advance
> to all who respond.
>
> 73, George K4GM

Re: Straight Key in parallel with PC keying

sfbonk
Have an order in for a Winkeyer USB, had a few hangs doing direct computer CW with N1MM, so it was a question I was having. I usually do the straight key and a paddle into the K3 keyer.

A related question, got a Signallink up and running last week. Unplugged the foot switch on the PTT line and was wondering if I could just do a Y off the PTT jack with the Signalink and foot switch. Good post on the diodes, have done that with amp keying for isolation.

W3OU Steve