Subjecting W2 V/UHF Sensor to more than 200W

Subjecting W2 V/UHF Sensor to more than 200W

M0XDF
Not that I’m planning to do that, but does anyone know it’s max tolerance over a few seconds if one was to exceed the 200W by mistake?
73 de David, M0XDF (K3 #174, P3 #108)
--
The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose
from. -Andrew Tannenbaum, computer science professor (1944- )

Re: Subjecting W2 V/UHF Sensor to more than 200W

Robert Friess
Exceed by how much?

Bob

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 4:27 AM, David Ferrington, M0XDF <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not that I’m planning to do that, but does anyone know it’s max tolerance
> over a few seconds if one was to exceed the 200W by mistake?
> 73 de David, M0XDF (K3 #174, P3 #108)
> --
> The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose
> from. -Andrew Tannenbaum, computer science professor (1944- )

Re: Subjecting W2 V/UHF Sensor to more than 200W

M0XDF
I don’t know, potentially by 100W, but I’m looking to know what might be ok.
Thank everyone who calls out your faults, your anger, your impatience, your egotism; do this consciously, voluntarily.
-Jean Toomer, poet and novelist (1894-1967)

> On 26 Apr 2016, at 17:52, Robert Friess <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Exceed by how much?
>
> Bob
>
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 4:27 AM, David Ferrington, M0XDF <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> Not that I’m planning to do that, but does anyone know it’s max tolerance over a few seconds if one was to exceed the 200W by mistake?
> 73 de David, M0XDF (K3 #174, P3 #108)
> --
> The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose
> from. -Andrew Tannenbaum, computer science professor (1944- )
> Post: mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net <http://www.qsl.net/>
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html <http://www.qsl.net/donate.html>
> Message delivered to [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: Subjecting W2 V/UHF Sensor to more than 200W

Robert Friess
300 watts for a second or two will do no harm.

Bob, N6CM

Designer of the Sensor

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 10:55 AM, David Ferrington, M0XDF <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don’t know, potentially by 100W, but I’m looking to know what might be
> ok.
> Thank everyone who calls out your faults, your anger, your impatience,
> your egotism; do this consciously, voluntarily.
> -Jean Toomer, poet and novelist (1894-1967)
>
> On 26 Apr 2016, at 17:52, Robert Friess <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Exceed by how much?
>
> Bob
>
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 4:27 AM, David Ferrington, M0XDF <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Not that I’m planning to do that, but does anyone know it’s max tolerance
>> over a few seconds if one was to exceed the 200W by mistake?
>> 73 de David, M0XDF (K3 #174, P3 #108)
>> --
>> The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose
>> from. -Andrew Tannenbaum, computer science professor (1944- )

Re: Subjecting W2 V/UHF Sensor to more than 200W

M0XDF
Thank you Bob, that is potentially the max output from the amp - but I’m planning on driving it from an XV144 (which I haven’t built yet) and will set that for a lower output, so I don’t get more than 200W on the sensor at the mast head

73 de David, M0XDF (K3 #174, P3 #108)
--
As a well spent day brings happy sleep, so life well used brings happy
death. -Leonardo da Vinci, painter, engineer, musician, and scientist

> On 26 Apr 2016, at 19:03, Robert Friess <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> 300 watts for a second or two will do no harm.
>
> Bob, N6CM
>
> Designer of the Sensor
>
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 10:55 AM, David Ferrington, M0XDF <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> I don’t know, potentially by 100W, but I’m looking to know what might be ok.
> Thank everyone who calls out your faults, your anger, your impatience, your egotism; do this consciously, voluntarily.
> -Jean Toomer, poet and novelist (1894-1967)
>
>> On 26 Apr 2016, at 17:52, Robert Friess <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> Exceed by how much?
>>
>> Bob
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 4:27 AM, David Ferrington, M0XDF <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>> Not that I’m planning to do that, but does anyone know it’s max tolerance over a few seconds if one was to exceed the 200W by mistake?
>> 73 de David, M0XDF (K3 #174, P3 #108)
>> --
>> The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose
>> from. -Andrew Tannenbaum, computer science professor (1944- )
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>
>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net <http://www.qsl.net/>
>> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html <http://www.qsl.net/donate.html>
>> Message delivered to [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: Subjecting W2 V/UHF Sensor to more than 200W

David,

I doubt that Elecraft has subjected it to destructive testing, but rates
their products on the conservative side.

I would guess that it will survive occasional excessive power (like
accidental short term), but I would not subject it to those levels on a
regular basis.