Subreceiver

Ruben Navarro Huedo-2
Hello friends:
Today we have been testing the K3 (with sub installed) for our S04R
expedition.
We want listen Subreceiver (and only sub) in both ears, not only the right.
Is this possible?

TNX a lot.

--
Rubén Navarro Huedo - EA5BZ
http://www.palotes.com

Re: Subreceiver

Greg - AB7R
Not at this time and not sure if this is one of the audio routing scenarios being considered.  Lyle??

That said....You can make an adapter if you wish.  On the front panel and back panel phone jacks the tip is the
main rx and the ring is the sub RX audio.  If you make an adapter that has both ears connected to the ring
connection when you turn the Sub Rx on you should hear only sub audio in both ears.

In fact with the K3's two phones connections you can probably use the front jack in normal operation...left=main
and right=sub and use the rear panel with the adapter so a spotter hears only the sub.  But the op using the
front panel jack will hear both the main and the sub.  Unless of course you build another adapter opposite of
the rear panel...putting both ears to the tip.

VERY IMPORTANT...don't use mono plugs...always use stereo plugs!!

-------------------------
73,
Greg - AB7R
Whidbey Island WA
NA-065

On Fri Apr 10 11:31 , Ruben Navarro Huedo  sent:

>Hello friends:
>Today we have been testing the K3 (with sub installed) for our S04R
>expedition.
>We want listen Subreceiver (and only sub) in both ears, not only the right.
>Is this possible?
>
>TNX a lot.
>
>--
>Rubén Navarro Huedo - EA5BZ
>http://www.palotes.com
>Post: [hidden email]','','','')">[hidden email]

Re: Subreceiver

Peter Wollan-2
Sorry, I don't see what's wanted here.  How is listening to only the
subreceiver any different from operating split?

On Fri Apr 10 11:31 , Ruben Navarro Huedo  sent:

>Hello friends:
>Today we have been testing the K3 (with sub installed) for our S04R
>expedition.
>We want listen Subreceiver (and only sub) in both ears, not only the right.
>Is this possible?
>
>TNX a lot.
>
>--
>Rubén Navarro Huedo - EA5BZ
>http://www.palotes.com

Re: Subreceiver

David Gilbert

He wants to hear the subreceiver, and ONLY the subreceiver, in both ears
when he operates split.  Many operators, myself included, hear better
when the signal spatially sounds like it is between their ears.  And
since this is a DXpedition that plans to operate split almost 100% of
the time, they don't need or want to listen on the main receiver ....
except maybe to initially look for a clear frequency.

As best I can tell, the only way for him to accomplish that on the K3 is
with external audio adapters.

Dave   AB7E

Peter Wollan wrote:

> Sorry, I don't see what's wanted here.  How is listening to only the
> subreceiver any different from operating split?
>

> On Fri Apr 10 11:31 , Ruben Navarro Huedo  sent:
>

>> Hello friends:
>> Today we have been testing the K3 (with sub installed) for our S04R
>> expedition.
>> We want listen Subreceiver (and only sub) in both ears, not only the right.
>> Is this possible?
>>
>> TNX a lot.
>>
>> --
>> Rubén Navarro Huedo - EA5BZ
>> http://www.palotes.com
>>
> _

Re: Subreceiver

Dick Grolleman
Well if you one to run a pile up in split, why not transmit on VFO b, and
dail the main VFO to listen, You have the volume on both ears, easy as that.
If you want to hear your own freq. just push sub, and you can hear your own
QRG on the Sub. and switch it of again.

Nothing required.

73 de Dick PA3FQA

Peter Wollan wrote:

> Sorry, I don't see what's wanted here.  How is listening to only the
> subreceiver any different from operating split?
>

> On Fri Apr 10 11:31 , Ruben Navarro Huedo  sent:
>

>> Hello friends:
>> Today we have been testing the K3 (with sub installed) for our S04R
>> expedition.
>> We want listen Subreceiver (and only sub) in both ears, not only the
>> right.
>> Is this possible?
>>
>> TNX a lot.
>>
>> --
>> Rubén Navarro Huedo - EA5BZ
>> http://www.palotes.com
>>
> _

Re: Subreceiver

WILLIS COOKE

I don't see and advantage to doing that rather than operating split with the main receiver unless he wants to use a beverage or other receive only antenna, but you can do that by operating regular split with the main receiver and selecting Antenna #2.  The other way is to use a mono headset connected to only the right channel.  With the Labtec speakers that I use I can still hear the speakers with a head set plugged in, so it would offer a lot of possibilities using the speaker volume, K3 AF gains and the speaker balance.

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ

> He wants to hear the subreceiver, and ONLY the subreceiver,
> in both ears
> when he operates split.  Many operators, myself included,
> hear better
> when the signal spatially sounds like it is between their
> ears.  And
> since this is a DXpedition that plans to operate split
> almost 100% of
> the time, they don't need or want to listen on the main
> receiver ....
> except maybe to initially look for a clear frequency.
>
> As best I can tell, the only way for him to accomplish that
> on the K3 is
> with external audio adapters.
>
> Dave   AB7E
>

> Peter Wollan wrote:
> > Sorry, I don't see what's wanted here.  How is
> listening to only the
> > subreceiver any different from operating split?
> >

> > On Fri Apr 10 11:31 , Ruben Navarro Huedo  sent:
> >

> >> Hello friends:
> >> Today we have been testing the K3 (with sub
> installed) for our S04R
> >> expedition.
> >> We want listen Subreceiver (and only sub) in both
> ears, not only the right.
> >> Is this possible?
> >>
> >> TNX a lot.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Rubén Navarro Huedo - EA5BZ
> >> http://www.palotes.com
> >>
> > _

> Please help support this email list:
> http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: Subreceiver

Ken Wagner K3IU
If he is going to be operating *split* then he can only  transmit on the
SubRx Frequency(VFO B) and listen on the Main. You cannot transmit on
the main and listen on the Sub in Split mode. At least I haven't found a
way. :-)
73, Ken K3IU

David Gilbert wrote:

> He wants to hear the subreceiver, and ONLY the subreceiver, in both ears
> when he operates split.  Many operators, myself included, hear better
> when the signal spatially sounds like it is between their ears.  And
> since this is a DXpedition that plans to operate split almost 100% of
> the time, they don't need or want to listen on the main receiver ....
> except maybe to initially look for a clear frequency.
>
> As best I can tell, the only way for him to accomplish that on the K3 is
> with external audio adapters.
>
> Dave   AB7E
>

> Peter Wollan wrote:
>
>> Sorry, I don't see what's wanted here.  How is listening to only the
>> subreceiver any different from operating split?
>>

>> On Fri Apr 10 11:31 , Ruben Navarro Huedo  sent:
>>

>>> Hello friends:
>>> Today we have been testing the K3 (with sub installed) for our S04R
>>> expedition.
>>> We want listen Subreceiver (and only sub) in both ears, not only the right.
>>> Is this possible?
>>>
>>> TNX a lot.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Rubén Navarro Huedo - EA5BZ
>>> http://www.palotes.com
>>>

>> _

Re: Subreceiver

Greg - AB7R
I suspect he wants two ops at the radio...one as a spotter listening ONLY to the sub and the actual operator using
the main or main and sub.

-------------------------
73,
Greg - AB7R
Whidbey Island WA
NA-065

On Fri Apr 10 13:36 , "Dick Grolleman"  sent:

>Well if you one to run a pile up in split, why not transmit on VFO b, and
>dail the main VFO to listen, You have the volume on both ears, easy as that.
>If you want to hear your own freq. just push sub, and you can hear your own
>QRG on the Sub. and switch it of again.
>
>Nothing required.
>
>73 de Dick PA3FQA

w0mu
It would be nice to have some type of fader control from main to sub.  It is
sometimes nice to hear both at the same time in both ears and level up one
or the other.

CC Packet Cluster W0MU-1
W0MU.NET or  67.40.148.194

never get over." Ben Franklin

Peter Wollan wrote:

> Sorry, I don't see what's wanted here.  How is listening to only the
> subreceiver any different from operating split?
>

> On Fri Apr 10 11:31 , Ruben Navarro Huedo  sent:
>

>> Hello friends:
>> Today we have been testing the K3 (with sub installed) for our S04R
>> expedition.
>> We want listen Subreceiver (and only sub) in both ears, not only the
right.
>> Is this possible?
>>
>> TNX a lot.
>>
>> --
>> Rubén Navarro Huedo - EA5BZ
>> http://www.palotes.com
>>
> _

Re: Subreceiver

David Gilbert

I agree, and Peter pointed out the same thing to me privately.  I'm not
sure why Ruben wanted to listen with both ears only to the subreceiver,
but I'm pretty sure that's not possible without outside hardware.
Hopefully he would describe what he is really trying to do and I'm sure
somebody would have a good suggestion to accomplish it.

73,
Dave   AB7E

Dick Grolleman wrote:

> Well if you one to run a pile up in split, why not transmit on VFO b,
> and dail the main VFO to listen, You have the volume on both ears,
> easy as that. If you want to hear your own freq. just push sub, and
> you can hear your own QRG on the Sub. and switch it of again.
>
> Nothing required.
>
> 73 de Dick PA3FQA
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "David Gilbert"
> <[hidden email]>

Re: Subreceiver

Ruben Navarro Huedo-2
TNX a lot to all for your answer.
Main use of it is 160m with 2 beverage and one K3 with second receiver
and without RX Input.
With this... we want listen the beverage conected to aux input and tx on
  the 160m vertical.
Problem this evening was that we only could listen the second receiver
in the right side.
We will have to use the hardware solution.

--
Rubén Navarro Huedo - EA5BZ
http://www.palotes.com

Re: Subreceiver

Don Wilhelm-4
Ruben,

If I were building such an adapter, I would add a 3 position switch (2
poles would be required) - one position would put both ears on the main
(left channel), the center position would be normal, and the third
position would have both ears on the sub (right channel).  If you only
want to listen to the sub, then your adapter could be less complex.

Ruben Navarro Huedo wrote:

> TNX a lot to all for your answer.
> Main use of it is 160m with 2 beverage and one K3 with second receiver
> and without RX Input.
> With this... we want listen the beverage conected to aux input and tx on
>   the 160m vertical.
> Problem this evening was that we only could listen the second receiver
> in the right side.
> We will have to use the hardware solution.

Re: Subreceiver

Bill W4ZV

Ruben Navarro Huedo-2 wrote
TNX a lot to all for your answer.
Main use of it is 160m with 2 beverage and one K3 with second receiver
and without RX Input.
With this... we want listen the beverage conected to aux input and tx on
  the 160m vertical.
Problem this evening was that we only could listen the second receiver
in the right side.
We will have to use the hardware solution.
I'm still not 100% sure what you are attempting to do but there may be a way without an external splitter.

1.  Connect your Beverage to RX ANT.
2.  HOLD RX ANT to toggle Sub to MAIN.
3.  You will TX on ANT1 and both RXs will use your Beverage on RX ANT via the internal splitter inside the K3.
4.  If you want the RX ANT on both ears, go into DIVERSTY and SPLIT.  You will TX on the VFO frequency B and RX (both receivers) on VFO frequency A.

I use an external splitter so I can feed my Beverage to RX ANT AND AUX RF.  Then I can choose both RXs on the Beverage, both RXs on the TX antenna or one on each in DIVERSTY.  Here's a previous summary:

http://mailman.qth.net/pipermail/elecraft/2008-November/099738.html

Although a Magic-T splitter is preferred, you could also use a simple T if you have connected AUX RF to your KRX3.

73,  Bill  W4ZV

Re: Subreceiver

Mike K2MK
Hi Bill:

You have to re-read Ruben's quote. He wants it for his second K3 that does
NOT include the RX input which means he does NOT have a KXV3 board. If you
take the KXV3 out of the equation his request makes perfect sense.

73,
Mike K2MK

Bill W4ZV
Sat, 11 Apr 2009 03:19:21 -0700

[...]

dave-281

When the topic involves only the K3, many of us would appreciate
everyone having the courtesy of putting K3 in the subject line.

73 de dave
ab9ca

K2MK wrote:

> Hi Bill:
>
> You have to re-read Ruben's quote. He wants it for his second K3 that does
> NOT include the RX input which means he does NOT have a KXV3 board. If you
> take the KXV3 out of the equation his request makes perfect sense.
>
> 73,
> Mike K2MK
>

> Bill W4ZV
> Sat, 11 Apr 2009 03:19:21 -0700
>

> TNX a lot to all for your answer.
> Main use of it is 160m with 2 beverage and one K3 with second receiver
> and without RX Input.
> With this... we want listen the beverage conected to aux input and tx on
>   the 160m vertical.
> Problem this evening was that we only could listen the second receiver
> in the right side.
> We will have to use the hardware solution.
>

> I'm still not 100% sure what you are attempting to do but there may be a way
> without an external splitter.
>
> 1.  Connect your Beverage to RX ANT.
> 2.  HOLD RX ANT to toggle Sub to MAIN.
> 3.  You will TX on ANT1 and both RXs will use your Beverage on RX ANT via
> the
> internal splitter inside the K3.
> 4.  If you want the RX ANT on both ears, go into DIVERSTY and SPLIT.  You
> will
> TX on the VFO frequency B and RX (both receivers) on VFO frequency A.
>
> I use an external splitter so I can feed my Beverage to RX ANT AND AUX RF.
> Then I can choose both RXs on the Beverage, both RXs on the TX antenna or
> one
> on each in DIVERSTY.  Here's a previous summary:
>
> http://mailman.qth.net/pipermail/elecraft/2008-November/099738.html
>
> Although a Magic-T splitter is preferred, you could also use a simple T if
> you
> have connected AUX RF to your KRX3.
>
> 73,  Bill  W4ZV

Re: Subreceiver

Bob Garrett
Dave,

Hey, we'll all get right on that!  Last time I checked, the K3 was the only
Elecraft radio that had a subreceiver.
73,  Bob K3UL

Re: Subreceiver

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Subreceiver

Benny Aumala
Use stereo speaker !!
You can then use both ears for both receivers with
individual volume control.
Place the speakers as you wish for best spatial readability.

Benny OH9NB

Re: Subreceiver

Bill W4ZV
On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 7:44 AM, K2MK <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You have to re-read Ruben's quote. He wants it for his second K3 that does
> NOT include the RX input which means he does NOT have a KXV3 board. If you
> take the KXV3 out of the equation his request makes perfect sense.

I don't think he has a "second K3".  The SO4R expedition only has ONE K3
plus 3 IC-7000s according to their website below.

http://www.dxfriends.com/s04r/plans.php

I believe he''s saying his KRX3 has not been wired for AUX RF, but it's
really not clear.

EA5BZ wrote:

TNX a lot to all for your answer.
> Main use of it is 160m with 2 beverage and one K3 with second receiver
> and without RX Input.
> With this... we want listen the beverage conected to aux input and tx on
>  the 160m vertical.
> Problem this evening was that we only could listen the second receiver
> in the right side.

If he has a KXV3 but KRX3 was not wired for AUX RF, what I suggested will
allow him to have the RX ANT Beverage applied to both Main and Sub without
an external splitter (by using the one internal to the K3).His description
is incomplete.  Whether he has a KXV3, whether he has a KAT3 and how the
KRX3 is wired internally (to AUX RF or to KAT3's ANT2 input) are all unknown
but necessary to answer his question.  Hopefully the K3 manual descriptions
on pages 40-42 of the four different KANT3/KAT3/KXV3 combinations will be
enough for him to figure it out himself.

73,  Bill  W4ZV