Switching to Linux

Bill-3
I have been a user of HRD for years, however, am now seriously
considering a change to Linux Mint.

Is there a good rig control or memory manager for the K3 written for
Linux users. I do no DX or contesting and I do not use any of the new
digital stuff - so I don't need all that extra weight, unless it is
easily ignored or removed.

For the interim, I am using the very capable Pigknob and may just opt
for David Cole's new cottage industry keypad supreme.

Suggestions would be appreciated. Please note that I am going Linux -
not dual boot or VM.

Thanks,

Bill W2BLC K-Line

Re: Switching to Linux

Mike Markowski-2
Bill,

Popular packages to consider:

1. Rig control: hamlib at http://sourceforge.net/p/hamlib/wiki/Hamlib/
2. Light weight logger: xlog at http://www.nongnu.org/xlog/
3. dxcluster: xdx at http://sourceforge.net/projects/xdxclusterclient/

4. Heavy weight logger: cqrlog at https://www.cqrlog.com/

Cqrlog is worth considering because it handles up/downloading to many
qsl sites like Log of the Word, Clublog, etc.  But it uses MySql and
sounds like it isn't the more minimal set up you're looking for.

I don't know of any linux K3 memory editors.

Good luck and you'll enjoy the change!  73,
Mike ab3ap

On 01/22/2016 03:27 PM, Bill wrote:
> [...]
> Is there a good rig control or memory manager for the K3 written for
> Linux users. I do no DX or contesting and I do not use any of the new
> digital stuff - so I don't need all that extra weight, unless it is
> easily ignored or removed.[...]

Re: Switching to Linux

Hajo Dezelski
Hello,

Cqrlog for logging. I used it as my main logging program.
Hamlib is ok, but you need an interface. Cqrlog does it, but I would
recommend Fldigi. There is even a logging program integrated.

One thing I would consider: Although Mint is ok and the group is active,
but it is always some months behind of the development. So you will not
always get the newest versions of the software. This would be not a big
problem, but the important fixes are also not delivered in a timely
fashion. So I switched to Debian. There you could also choose interfaces
like Cinnamon.

73 de Hajo

Gruss
Hajo

---
Cela est bien dit, mais il faut cultiver notre jardin.

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 9:27 PM, Bill <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have been a user of HRD for years, however, am now seriously considering
> a change to Linux Mint.
>
> Is there a good rig control or memory manager for the K3 written for Linux
> users. I do no DX or contesting and I do not use any of the new digital
> stuff - so I don't need all that extra weight, unless it is easily ignored
> or removed.
>
> For the interim, I am using the very capable Pigknob and may just opt for
> David Cole's new cottage industry keypad supreme.
>
> Suggestions would be appreciated. Please note that I am going Linux - not
> dual boot or VM.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill W2BLC K-Line

Re: Switching to Linux

NK7Z
One hint about your Linux Switch, if you use Google Chrome, make sure
you install the 64 bit version of Linux, not the 32 bit version.  Google
just announced it is dropping 32 bit chrome.
--
Thanks and 73's,
www.nk7z.net

For MixW support see;
For MM-SSTV see:

On Fri, 2016-01-22 at 16:34 -0500, Mike Markowski wrote:

> Bill,
>
> Popular packages to consider:
>
> 1. Rig control: hamlib at http://sourceforge.net/p/hamlib/wiki/Hamlib/
> 2. Light weight logger: xlog at http://www.nongnu.org/xlog/
> 3. dxcluster: xdx at http://sourceforge.net/projects/xdxclusterclient/
>
> 4. Heavy weight logger: cqrlog at https://www.cqrlog.com/
>
> Cqrlog is worth considering because it handles up/downloading to many
> qsl sites like Log of the Word, Clublog, etc.  But it uses MySql and
> sounds like it isn't the more minimal set up you're looking for.
>
> I don't know of any linux K3 memory editors.
>
> Good luck and you'll enjoy the change!  73,
> Mike ab3ap
>
> On 01/22/2016 03:27 PM, Bill wrote:
> > [...]
> > Is there a good rig control or memory manager for the K3 written for
> > Linux users. I do no DX or contesting and I do not use any of the new
> > digital stuff - so I don't need all that extra weight, unless it is
> > easily ignored or removed.[...]

Re: Switching to Linux

Nate Bargmann
* On 2016 22 Jan 15:36 -0600, Mike Markowski wrote:

> I don't know of any linux K3 memory editors.

My understanding is that the memory protocol has to be reverse
engineered.

Such a project was started:

https://github.com/ik5pvx/k3mem

It has a rather hefty disclaimer, etc.  The last commit to the
repository was in Sept 2011.

73, Nate, N0NB

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Re: Switching to Linux

Mike Markowski-2
The funny thing, Nate, is this is a project that Pf ik5pvx and I started
back then.  There is a tradeoff between taking time to reverse engineer
and time to get on the air.  After a decent amount of success, we opted
for air time instead!  :-)  Especially after a week at work, a weekend
making contacts was more fun.  I wouldn't recommend using the code
except as a starting point for further reverse engineering.

I think someone else got further on such a project but can't recall the
program name.  Maybe someone else can.

73,
Mike ab3ap

On 01/22/2016 06:24 PM, Nate Bargmann wrote:

> * On 2016 22 Jan 15:36 -0600, Mike Markowski wrote:
>
>> I don't know of any linux K3 memory editors.
>
> My understanding is that the memory protocol has to be reverse
> engineered.
>
> Such a project was started:
>
> https://github.com/ik5pvx/k3mem
>
> It has a rather hefty disclaimer, etc.  The last commit to the
> repository was in Sept 2011.
>
> 73, Nate, N0NB

Re: Switching to Linux

Nate Bargmann
* On 2016 22 Jan 17:39 -0600, Mike Markowski wrote:
> I think someone else got further on such a project but can't recall the
> program name.  Maybe someone else can.

There is the CHiRP project:

http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

I don't see the K3 listed, although there is an open issue for it:

http://chirp.danplanet.com/issues/248

I'm not involved in that project, but am aware of its existence.

73, Nate, N0NB

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Re: Switching to Linux

NZ0T
GenLog is for Windows but runs well in Linux using WINE.  Good contest logger.  I have not been able to get the K3 memory editor to work using WINE however.

Re: Switching to Linux

daleputnam
I'm using WINE, on Mint, with N1MM+ that works very well for contests..
I am also using Win32 for a logger. Too bad I can't find something that does both.

Have a great day,

Dale - WC7S in Wy