TX3X K3/KPA500 DXpedition to Chesterfield Islands on the air

TX3X K3/KPA500 DXpedition to Chesterfield Islands on the air

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
TX3X on the the Chesterfield Islands is rolling along with their K3s and KPA500s.

See:  www.tx3x.com
and
http://www.dxsummit.fi/#/?dx_calls=TX3X

73,

Eric
/elecraft.com/

Re: TX3X K3/KPA500 DXpedition to Chesterfield Islands on the air

Wes (N7WS)
Rolling along?  Twelve ops, seven complete 500W stations and ton of antennas and
21K Q's in 6 days.

E6GG with seven ops and four radios made ~ 49k Q's in 12 days.

Just sayin'

On 10/6/2015 10:22 AM, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:

> TX3X on the the Chesterfield Islands is rolling along with their K3s and KPA500s.
>
> See:  www.tx3x.com
> and
> http://www.dxsummit.fi/#/?dx_calls=TX3X
>
> 73,
>
> Eric
> /elecraft.com/

Re: TX3X K3/KPA500 DXpedition to Chesterfield Islands on the air

Maybe the TX3X team actually has a life? (Snorkeling, beer, group sing-a-longs, sleeping, leisurely brunch, more beer....)

Wayne

On Oct 6, 2015, at 11:08 AM, "Wes (N7WS)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Rolling along?  Twelve ops, seven complete 500W stations and ton of antennas and 21K Q's in 6 days.
>
> E6GG with seven ops and four radios made ~ 49k Q's in 12 days.
>
> Just sayin'
>

> On 10/6/2015 10:22 AM, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:
>> TX3X on the the Chesterfield Islands is rolling along with their K3s and KPA500s.
>>
>> See:  www.tx3x.com
>> and
>> http://www.dxsummit.fi/#/?dx_calls=TX3X
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Eric
>> /elecraft.com/

Re: TX3X K3/KPA500 DXpedition to Chesterfield Islands on the air

K6MM has been in contact with several of the ops at TX3X. They have been
experiencing pretty awful WX, lots of rain, very high winds. Too much
wind to get the 80M and 160M antennas up -- although they have been QRV
on 80 in the last 12 hours.

I worked them yesterday with 5W on 10M SSB.

Here's what he posted to the NCDXC reflector yesterday.

73, Jim K9YC

=   =   =   =   =

Thus far I have been able to work these "local" TX3X operators on SSB:

40MTom, ND2T
20MRoss, K6GFJ
17MSteve, W1SRD
15MKevin, K6TD

I volunteered to keep in touch with their families while they're on the
DXpedition.

My general sense from these "quick chats", is that they are having a
miserable time coping with the high winds, rain, sleeping conditions,
and Mother Nature in general on Chesterfield.  Some of this is
documented on the internet, the latest yesterday:

http://www.dx-world.net/tx3x-chesterfield-island-dxpedition-2015/

Unfortunately their website and log search function has been down for
several hours now: http://TX3X.com
Hopefully this is temporary.

The biggest problem has been installing their antennas, especially for
80M and 160M because of the high winds.  Thus far, they have not been
able to activate those bands.  The team is still in good spirits,
however, and determined to overcome these visits from Murphy.  They'll
be there another week.  Let's wish them good luck.  Fingers crossed.

My advice:  If you've already worked them, try to resist the temptation
to rack up a lot of band-modes until the group has had a chance to put
as many ATNO QSOs in the log as possible this week.  And keep watching
those DX cluster spots.

73,
John, K6MM

On Tue,10/6/2015 11:08 AM, Wes (N7WS) wrote:
> Rolling along?  Twelve ops, seven complete 500W stations and ton of
> antennas and 21K Q's in 6 days.
>
> E6GG with seven ops and four radios made ~ 49k Q's in 12 days.
>
> Just sayin'

Re: TX3X K3/KPA500 DXpedition to Chesterfield Islands on the air

KEN-3
On 10/6/15 2:13 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:
> Maybe the TX3X team actually has a life? (Snorkeling, beer, group sing-a-longs, sleeping, leisurely brunch, more beer....)

They can do all of that at home!   LOL

On the serious side, they and T2GC were both on 40 CW the other morning
about 30 kHz apart, both working "UP".   The synchronized responses on
the panadapter took up at least 60 kHz of the band!  I think it was
worse than K1N Navassa!

Ken WA8JXM

Re: TX3X K3/KPA500 DXpedition to Chesterfield Islands on the air

Yngvi (TF3Y)
Propagation has been pretty awful at Northern latitudes.
Never heard over here in TF.

73, Yngvi TF3Y

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 6:31 PM, Jim Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> K6MM has been in contact with several of the ops at TX3X. They have been
> experiencing pretty awful WX, lots of rain, very high winds. Too much wind
> to get the 80M and 160M antennas up -- although they have been QRV on 80 in
> the last 12 hours.
>
> I worked them yesterday with 5W on 10M SSB.
>
> Here's what he posted to the NCDXC reflector yesterday.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC
>
> =   =   =   =   =
>
> Thus far I have been able to work these "local" TX3X operators on SSB:
>
> 40MTom, ND2T
> 20MRoss, K6GFJ
> 17MSteve, W1SRD
> 15MKevin, K6TD
>
> I volunteered to keep in touch with their families while they're on the
> DXpedition.
>
> My general sense from these "quick chats", is that they are having a
> miserable time coping with the high winds, rain, sleeping conditions, and
> Mother Nature in general on Chesterfield.  Some of this is documented on
> the internet, the latest yesterday:
>
> http://www.dx-world.net/tx3x-chesterfield-island-dxpedition-2015/
>
> Unfortunately their website and log search function has been down for
> several hours now: http://TX3X.com
> Hopefully this is temporary.
>
> The biggest problem has been installing their antennas, especially for 80M
> and 160M because of the high winds.  Thus far, they have not been able to
> activate those bands.  The team is still in good spirits, however, and
> determined to overcome these visits from Murphy.  They'll be there another
> week.  Let's wish them good luck.  Fingers crossed.
>
> My advice:  If you've already worked them, try to resist the temptation to
> rack up a lot of band-modes until the group has had a chance to put as many
> ATNO QSOs in the log as possible this week.  And keep watching those DX
> cluster spots.
>
> 73,
> John, K6MM
>

> On Tue,10/6/2015 11:08 AM, Wes (N7WS) wrote:
>
>> Rolling along?  Twelve ops, seven complete 500W stations and ton of
>> antennas and 21K Q's in 6 days.
>>
>> E6GG with seven ops and four radios made ~ 49k Q's in 12 days.
>>
>> Just sayin'

http://www.tf3y.net

Re: TX3X K3/KPA500 DXpedition to Chesterfield Islands on the air

Matthew Cook
Ahh.,...That would be why they sounded so great on 20m & 15m over the
weekend when were testing/tuning up our portable QRO OCDX contest
station...  it was K-line to K-line (*grin*)...

http://www.areg.org.au/?p=1793

Five of our ops had a crack at the pileups on both bands, although our
geography gave us something of an advantage.

73

Matthew
VK5ZM

On 7 October 2015 at 03:52, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> TX3X on the the Chesterfield Islands is rolling along with their K3s and
> KPA500s.
>
> See:  www.tx3x.com
> and
> http://www.dxsummit.fi/#/?dx_calls=TX3X
>
> 73,
>
> Eric
> /elecraft.com/

Re: TX3X K3/KPA500 DXpedition to Chesterfield Islands onthe air

Gary Gregory-2
My kinda lifestyle:-)

Maybe the TX3X team actually has a life? (Snorkeling, beer, group sing-a-longs, sleeping, leisurely brunch, more beer....)

Wayne

On Oct 6, 2015, at 11:08 AM, "Wes (N7WS)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Rolling along?  Twelve ops, seven complete 500W stations and ton of antennas and 21K Q's in 6 days.
>
> E6GG with seven ops and four radios made ~ 49k Q's in 12 days.
>
> Just sayin'
>

> On 10/6/2015 10:22 AM, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:
>> TX3X on the the Chesterfield Islands is rolling along with their K3s and KPA500s.
>>
>> See:  www.tx3x.com
>> and
>> http://www.dxsummit.fi/#/?dx_calls=TX3X
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Eric
>> /elecraft.com/

Re: TX3X K3/KPA500 DXpedition to Chesterfield Islands onthe air

ae4pb
Not hearing them at all

Maybe the TX3X team actually has a life? (Snorkeling, beer, group sing-a-longs, sleeping, leisurely brunch, more beer....)

Wayne

On Oct 6, 2015, at 11:08 AM, "Wes (N7WS)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Rolling along?  Twelve ops, seven complete 500W stations and ton of antennas and 21K Q's in 6 days.
>
> E6GG with seven ops and four radios made ~ 49k Q's in 12 days.
>
> Just sayin'
>

> On 10/6/2015 10:22 AM, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:
>> TX3X on the the Chesterfield Islands is rolling along with their K3s and KPA500s.
>>
>> See:  www.tx3x.com
>> and
>> http://www.dxsummit.fi/#/?dx_calls=TX3X
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Eric
>> /elecraft.com/

Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: TX3X K3/KPA500 DXpedition to Chesterfield Islands onthe air

Jack Brindle-2
They are on. The Elecraft rigs sound great (of course, I’m a bit biased)…
I worked them on 21285 SSB a short time ago. They are presently very readable here in Northern California.
Propagation conditions are much better today than yesterday with much lower QRN caused by solar
conditions (geomagnetic storming).

Keep trying. They are weak but workable. The K6TU propagation charts accessible from the TX3X web site
are definitely a help. Stu has done a great job with his propagation site, worth checking out.

73!

Jack, W6FB

> On Oct 10, 2015, at 12:16 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Not hearing them at all

The issue is likely because my dipole is oriented towards EU.. I need to lookup the bearing from SC and probably move the ends of my dipole (not easily done).
Jer

They are on. The Elecraft rigs sound great (of course, I’m a bit biased)… I worked them on 21285 SSB a short time ago. They are presently very readable here in Northern California.
Propagation conditions are much better today than yesterday with much lower QRN caused by solar conditions (geomagnetic storming).

Keep trying. They are weak but workable. The K6TU propagation charts accessible from the TX3X web site are definitely a help. Stu has done a great job with his propagation site, worth checking out.

73!

Jack, W6FB

> On Oct 10, 2015, at 12:16 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Not hearing them at all

Tim Herrick
Well, unfortunately here in the east, the solar flares have really made it difficult to hear them. I do not believe it is operator fault. Just unlucky that the sun decide to burp at the beginning and keep the A and K indexes up high.

Now this may be a problem. I worked them on 12 CW and the QSO never showed. I did not work them on 10 SSB yet it shows a QSO there. So I have worked them finally both bands and now 12 CW shows but not 10 CW although they were worked 40 minutes apart. Oh well, maybe next time.

73,
Tim Herrick, KQ8M
[hidden email]

AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.homedns.org
User Ports: 23, 7373  with local skimmer, 7374 without local skimmer

The issue is likely because my dipole is oriented towards EU.. I need to lookup the bearing from SC and probably move the ends of my dipole (not easily done).
Jer

They are on. The Elecraft rigs sound great (of course, I’m a bit biased)… I worked them on 21285 SSB a short time ago. They are presently very readable here in Northern California.
Propagation conditions are much better today than yesterday with much lower QRN caused by solar conditions (geomagnetic storming).

Keep trying. They are weak but workable. The K6TU propagation charts accessible from the TX3X web site are definitely a help. Stu has done a great job with his propagation site, worth checking out.

73!

Jack, W6FB

> On Oct 10, 2015, at 12:16 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Not hearing them at all

Milt -- N5IA
Has anyone received information re when they will be able to get a 160M TX
antenna going?

Tnx for any info.

Milt, N5IA

Re: TX3X K3/KPA500 DXpedition to Chesterfield Islands onthe air

KEN-3
According to the spotting network, they were on 160 this morning (EDT).

I think they may be their last day of operation?

Ken WA8JXM

On 10/10/15 5:00 PM, Milt -- N5IA wrote:
> Has anyone received information re when they will be able to get a
> 160M TX antenna going?
>
> Tnx for any info.

Re: TX3X K3/KPA500 DXpedition to Chesterfield Islands onthe air

Steve Lund
Yes, they were on 160m from approximately 1100z to 1200z.

The 30m RTTY op went QRX.

About 10 minutes later they showed up on 1826.5. Very weak signal with long
and deep QSB. Definitely needed the K3 NR. The LP-PAN helped to determine
who was calling. Mostly 9's and 0's getting in the log at their sunrise.
KA6BIM and I from Oregon also made Qs. I'm curious what their antenna was.
With the wind and it being the last day, I'm guessing that they loaded up
one of the other antennas.

Steve, K6UM