The market for Full Kit Radios?

Elecraft mailing list
For me a large part of the enjoyment of Amateur radio is the process of building the radios and accessories.

I tend to like kits because all the truly hard work making the board punching and painting the case etc has been done for me and I get the fun of building it and then using something that I have built.

I would love to see an updated version of the K2 as a full kit, but that leaves me wondering is there really a market for full kits?

I was curious as to what others think about the market for full kit radios.

Re: The market for Full Kit Radios?

Kevin - K4VD
Hey Harry... I hope you don't mind if I toss another idea out there. It has
to do with a conversation going on in another forum I'm part of and thought
it might make an interesting addition to your thoughts.

I do not believe the homebrew spirit of Amateur Radio is dead. I do believe
that there has been somewhat of a shift in thinking. As much a part of any
ham radio station today I think software falls right in there with
antennas, tuners and transceivers.

What if, instead of buying a hardware kit, you could buy the components of
software. Maybe some brilliant programmers can put together the building
blocks of the next great logging or PSK-31 terminal program? These
entrepreneurial programmers put together "kits" that you and I could key in
to something free like Visual Studio or whatever the current Linux or Apple
environment is. Along with the keying in, the programmers are guiding us
through the software from maybe simple how-to-program to more complex how
to interface with a certain rig's API.

I like to think that today's keyboard is equivalent to yesterday's
soldering iron. Both are responsible for the start of a lot of creativity.

Just a thought.

73,
Kev K4VD

On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 2:49 PM, Harry Yingst via Elecraft <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> For me a large part of the enjoyment of Amateur radio is the process of
> building the radios and accessories.
>
> I tend to like kits because all the truly hard work making the board
> punching and painting the case etc has been done for me and I get the fun
> of building it and then using something that I have built.
>
> I would love to see an updated version of the K2 as a full kit, but that
> leaves me wondering is there really a market for full kits?
>
> I was curious as to what others think about the market for full kit radios.

Re: The market for Full Kit Radios?

bdenley
I'd love a matching panadaptor kit for my K2 !

Brian Denley
KB1VBF
Sent from my iPad

> On Feb 12, 2017, at 3:11 PM, Kevin - K4VD <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey Harry... I hope you don't mind if I toss another idea out there. It has
> to do with a conversation going on in another forum I'm part of and thought
> it might make an interesting addition to your thoughts.
>
> I do not believe the homebrew spirit of Amateur Radio is dead. I do believe
> that there has been somewhat of a shift in thinking. As much a part of any
> ham radio station today I think software falls right in there with
> antennas, tuners and transceivers.
>
> What if, instead of buying a hardware kit, you could buy the components of
> software. Maybe some brilliant programmers can put together the building
> blocks of the next great logging or PSK-31 terminal program? These
> entrepreneurial programmers put together "kits" that you and I could key in
> to something free like Visual Studio or whatever the current Linux or Apple
> environment is. Along with the keying in, the programmers are guiding us
> through the software from maybe simple how-to-program to more complex how
> to interface with a certain rig's API.
>
> I like to think that today's keyboard is equivalent to yesterday's
> soldering iron. Both are responsible for the start of a lot of creativity.
>
> Just a thought.
>
> 73,
> Kev K4VD
>

> On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 2:49 PM, Harry Yingst via Elecraft <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> For me a large part of the enjoyment of Amateur radio is the process of
>> building the radios and accessories.
>>
>> I tend to like kits because all the truly hard work making the board
>> punching and painting the case etc has been done for me and I get the fun
>> of building it and then using something that I have built.
>>
>> I would love to see an updated version of the K2 as a full kit, but that
>> leaves me wondering is there really a market for full kits?

Re: The market for Full Kit Radios?

Elecraft mailing list
I second the panadaptor idea

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 12, 2017, at 4:46 PM, Brian Denley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'd love a matching panadaptor kit for my K2 !
>
> Brian Denley
> KB1VBF
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Feb 12, 2017, at 3:11 PM, Kevin - K4VD <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hey Harry... I hope you don't mind if I toss another idea out there. It has
>> to do with a conversation going on in another forum I'm part of and thought
>> it might make an interesting addition to your thoughts.
>>
>> I do not believe the homebrew spirit of Amateur Radio is dead. I do believe
>> that there has been somewhat of a shift in thinking. As much a part of any
>> ham radio station today I think software falls right in there with
>> antennas, tuners and transceivers.
>>
>> What if, instead of buying a hardware kit, you could buy the components of
>> software. Maybe some brilliant programmers can put together the building
>> blocks of the next great logging or PSK-31 terminal program? These
>> entrepreneurial programmers put together "kits" that you and I could key in
>> to something free like Visual Studio or whatever the current Linux or Apple
>> environment is. Along with the keying in, the programmers are guiding us
>> through the software from maybe simple how-to-program to more complex how
>> to interface with a certain rig's API.
>>
>> I like to think that today's keyboard is equivalent to yesterday's
>> soldering iron. Both are responsible for the start of a lot of creativity.
>>
>> Just a thought.
>>
>> 73,
>> Kev K4VD
>>

>> On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 2:49 PM, Harry Yingst via Elecraft <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> For me a large part of the enjoyment of Amateur radio is the process of
>>> building the radios and accessories.
>>>
>>> I tend to like kits because all the truly hard work making the board
>>> punching and painting the case etc has been done for me and I get the fun
>>> of building it and then using something that I have built.
>>>
>>> I would love to see an updated version of the K2 as a full kit, but that
>>> leaves me wondering is there really a market for full kits?

Re: The market for Full Kit Radios?

Raymond Sills
Not to rain on anyone’s parade, but I’d wager you would need at least several hundred, maybe thousands more serious buyers, for it to be financially viable for Elecraft (or a 3rd party) to make a panadapter for the K2.

BTW, is it not the case that the K2 is a traditional superhet?  That means you’d not have a “free ride” that you would have with an SDR… I/Q signals already available.  Maybe the P3 would be adaptable for the K2..

73 de Ray
K2ULR
KX3 #211

> On Feb 12, 2017, at 6:05 PM, Harlan Sherriff via Elecraft <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I second the panadaptor idea
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Feb 12, 2017, at 4:46 PM, Brian Denley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'd love a matching panadaptor kit for my K2 !
>>
>> Brian Denley
>> KB1VBF
>> Sent from my iPad
>>

>>> 73,
>>> Kev K4VD

Re: The market for Full Kit Radios?

I recall seeing a Panadapter someone made for a KX3 out of a Raspberry Pi, combined that with a Softrock Lite (for the I/Q), mount in a Matching K2 chassis.

I'd love a matching panadaptor kit for my K2 !

Brian Denley
KB1VBF
Sent from my iPad

> On Feb 12, 2017, at 3:11 PM, Kevin - K4VD <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey Harry... I hope you don't mind if I toss another idea out there. It has
> to do with a conversation going on in another forum I'm part of and thought
> it might make an interesting addition to your thoughts.
>
> I do not believe the homebrew spirit of Amateur Radio is dead. I do believe
> that there has been somewhat of a shift in thinking. As much a part of any
> ham radio station today I think software falls right in there with
> antennas, tuners and transceivers.
>
> What if, instead of buying a hardware kit, you could buy the components of
> software. Maybe some brilliant programmers can put together the building
> blocks of the next great logging or PSK-31 terminal program? These
> entrepreneurial programmers put together "kits" that you and I could key in
> to something free like Visual Studio or whatever the current Linux or Apple
> environment is. Along with the keying in, the programmers are guiding us
> through the software from maybe simple how-to-program to more complex how
> to interface with a certain rig's API.
>
> I like to think that today's keyboard is equivalent to yesterday's
> soldering iron. Both are responsible for the start of a lot of creativity.
>
> Just a thought.
>
> 73,
> Kev K4VD
>

> On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 2:49 PM, Harry Yingst via Elecraft <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> For me a large part of the enjoyment of Amateur radio is the process of
>> building the radios and accessories.
>>
>> I tend to like kits because all the truly hard work making the board
>> punching and painting the case etc has been done for me and I get the fun
>> of building it and then using something that I have built.
>>
>> I would love to see an updated version of the K2 as a full kit, but that
>> leaves me wondering is there really a market for full kits?

Re: The market for Full Kit Radios?

Alan Bloom
The P3 will work with the K2, although you need to modify the K2 to get
an IF output signal.  In the P3 menu, go to "Xcvr Sel" and select "4915
kHz" or "4915 kHz (inverted)" depending on which band you're on.

The P3 display does not indicate the K2 frequency, receive bandwidth,
etc. so it's not a full integration, but it does work.

Alan N1AL

On 02/12/2017 03:28 PM, Ray Sills wrote:

> Not to rain on anyone’s parade, but I’d wager you would need at least
> several hundred, maybe thousands more serious buyers, for it to be
> financially viable for Elecraft (or a 3rd party) to make a panadapter
> for the K2.
>
> BTW, is it not the case that the K2 is a traditional superhet?  That
> means you’d not have a “free ride” that you would have with an SDR…
> I/Q signals already available.  Maybe the P3 would be adaptable for
> the K2..
>
> 73 de Ray K2ULR KX3 #211
>

>> On Feb 12, 2017, at 6:05 PM, Harlan Sherriff via Elecraft
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I second the panadaptor idea
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Feb 12, 2017, at 4:46 PM, Brian Denley <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd love a matching panadaptor kit for my K2 !
>>>
>>> Brian Denley KB1VBF Sent from my iPad

Re: The market for Full Kit Radios?

bdenley
There are a lot of K2s out there...

Brian Denley
KB1VBF
Sent from my iPad

>> On 02/12/2017 03:28 PM, Ray Sills wrote:
>> Not to rain on anyone’s parade, but I’d wager you would need at least
>> several hundred, maybe thousands more serious buyers, for it to be
>> financially viable for Elecraft (or a 3rd party) to make a panadapter
>> for the K2.
>>
>> BTW, is it not the case that the K2 is a traditional superhet?  That
>> means you’d not have a “free ride” that you would have with an SDR…
>> I/Q signals already available.  Maybe the P3 would be adaptable for
>> the K2..
>>
>> 73 de Ray K2ULR KX3 #211

Re: The market for Full Kit Radios?

Ray,

If you provide the K2 with an IF output, the P3 will work just fine as a
panadapter.  You need a buffer amplifier for the IF output.
LP-Pan will also work, but you need software running on the computer -
NaP3 or Win4K3 should work nicely.

On 2/12/2017 6:28 PM, Ray Sills wrote:
> Not to rain on anyone’s parade, but I’d wager you would need at least several hundred, maybe thousands more serious buyers, for it to be financially viable for Elecraft (or a 3rd party) to make a panadapter for the K2.
>
> BTW, is it not the case that the K2 is a traditional superhet?  That means you’d not have a “free ride” that you would have with an SDR… I/Q signals already available.  Maybe the P3 would be adaptable for the K2..

Re: The market for Full Kit Radios?

Kev Schache
Show me as interested.

Kev Schache   VK5KS  K2 #7xxx

On 13/02/2017 2:08 PM, Brian Denley wrote:

> There are a lot of K2s out there...
>
> Brian Denley
> KB1VBF
> Sent from my iPad
>
>>> On 02/12/2017 03:28 PM, Ray Sills wrote:
>>> Not to rain on anyone’s parade, but I’d wager you would need at least
>>> several hundred, maybe thousands more serious buyers, for it to be
>>> financially viable for Elecraft (or a 3rd party) to make a panadapter
>>> for the K2.
>>>
>>> BTW, is it not the case that the K2 is a traditional superhet?  That
>>> means you’d not have a “free ride” that you would have with an SDR…
>>> I/Q signals already available.  Maybe the P3 would be adaptable for
>>> the K2..
>>>
>>> 73 de Ray K2ULR KX3 #211

Re: The market for Full Kit Radios?

I'm building one now sn 77xx so yes there are a lot of them out there

>> On 02/12/2017 03:28 PM, Ray Sills wrote:
>> Not to rain on anyone’s parade, but I’d wager you would need at least
>> several hundred, maybe thousands more serious buyers, for it to be
>> financially viable for Elecraft (or a 3rd party) to make a panadapter
>> for the K2.
>>
>> BTW, is it not the case that the K2 is a traditional superhet?  That
>> means you’d not have a “free ride” that you would have with an SDR…
>> I/Q signals already available.  Maybe the P3 would be adaptable for
>> the K2..
>>
>> 73 de Ray K2ULR KX3 #211

Re: The market for Full Kit Radios?

Leroy
Clifton Web used to make a precision IF buffer with a SMA connector
Out of the back of the k2.
I have one in my K2. That circuit schematic is on the web, there you

Leroy AB7CE

Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to [hidden email]