This will effect pilots and Hams throughout the Western US

This will effect pilots and Hams throughout the Western US

Fred Townsend-2

This Is Likely Why The Navy Is Causing A Massive And Mysterious GPS Outage
In The Western US - The Drive

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3865/this-is-likely-why-the-navy-is-cau
sing-a-massive-and-mysterious-gps-outage-in-the-western-us

Fred, AE6QL

Re: This will effect pilots and Hams throughout the Western US

John Huggins, kx4o
Time to refit my Rose bag for a sextant and charts... and a fine watch?

John, kx4o

On Fri, June 10, 2016 20:03, Fred Townsend wrote:

> This Is Likely Why The Navy Is Causing A Massive And Mysterious GPS
> Outage
> In The Western US - The Drive
>

> http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3865/this-is-likely-why-the-navy-is-
> cau sing-a-massive-and-mysterious-gps-outage-in-the-western-us
>
> Fred, AE6QL

Re: This will effect pilots and Hams throughout the Western US

Phil Wheeler-2
Read this

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/notices/2016/Jun/CHLK_16-08_GPS_Flight_Advisory.pdf

Phil W7OX

On 6/10/16 1:31 PM, John Huggins, kx4o wrote:
> >http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3865/this-is-likely-why-the-navy-is-
> >cau sing-a-massive-and-mysterious-gps-outage-in-the-western-us

Re: This will effect pilots and Hams throughout the Western US

briancom
Related to this.  The Naval Academy has started teaching Celestial
Navigation again.  It had been discontinued.

The Coast Guard never discontinued it.

I also understand the old surplussed 10 kW Collins HF transmitters are
being reacquired by the military.  Can teaching of CW be next?

73 de Brian/K3KO

On 6/10/2016 20:31 PM, John Huggins, kx4o wrote:

> Time to refit my Rose bag for a sextant and charts... and a fine watch?
>
> John, kx4o
>
> On Fri, June 10, 2016 20:03, Fred Townsend wrote:
>>

>> This Is Likely Why The Navy Is Causing A Massive And Mysterious GPS
>> Outage
>> In The Western US - The Drive
>>

>> http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3865/this-is-likely-why-the-navy-is-
>> cau sing-a-massive-and-mysterious-gps-outage-in-the-western-us
>>
>> Fred, AE6QL

Re: This will effect pilots and Hams throughout the Western US

Grant Youngman
Don't forget your star finder, tables and a copy of Bowditch for good measure.

A celestial fix is a beautiful thing -- especially since you don't have to worry about pulling it off in anything approaching a trial by fire state 5-6 sea :)

Grant NQ5T

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 10, 2016, at 3:31 PM, John Huggins, kx4o <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Time to refit my Rose bag for a sextant and charts... and a fine watch?
>
> John, kx4o

Re: This will effect pilots and Hams throughout the Western US

Kevin - K4VD
Testing and practice all make sense but what isn't making sense about this
is that we're disrupting GPS. Lots of stuff other than military rely on GPS
and - just my humble opinion - It seems a little freaky that they are
testing commercial aircraft.

Wouldn't as valid a test simply be to turn off the GPS receiver? I mean
testing for a power outage at a commercial data center doesn't require
turning off power to the city.

It all kind of seems strange to me.

Kev

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 5:07 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When I was servicing shipboard electronics systems in the 90's, one of my
> regular "charges" as a civilian contractor was the Naval Hospital ship USNS
> Mercy ported in San Francisco, CA. I went to sea on her several times to
> check/calibrate nav systems, radars, direction finders, GPS gear, etc.
> under
> operational conditions.
>
> On one trip I noticed officers on the grabbing sextants and heading out
> onto
> the bridge wings. I asked the Captain if the US Navy still used sextants to
> navigate in this day and age. He smiled and said, "If we go to war, most of
> that stuff up there (pointing to the sky) will be disabled in the first
> hour. My officers will know how to get us wherever we're needed without
> it!"
>

> 73, Ron AC7AC

Wes Stewart-2
How times have changed.  Back in 1997, when I was working as a contractor for my
old company, Hughes Missile Systems (now Raytheon), I worked on implementing
some jamming tests on the Tomahawk missile GPS.  FWIW, we put the missile
section on a wooden pedestal covered in RF absorber on top of the rotating plate
(also covered in absorber cones) under "The Arc" as seen here:
http://www.kgun9.com/news/local-news/test-facility-at-ft-huachuca-assures-working-communications-equipment-for-soldiers

Just for giggles, I climbed (took the stairs) "The Red Tower", the top of which
would contain a good sized ham shack.  The tower is completely wooden and held
together by fiberglass bolts.  The "dish" that is behind the guy being
interviewed is actually a shaped reflector that in combination with a horn
located below ground level forms a folded "compact" range, for those who
understand such things. The leaning airfoil shaped tower holds the test subject
at the plane-wave focal point of the reflector.  An M1 Abrams tank can be
supported and rotated on top of this tower.

We had to do our testing in the wee hours of the morning, with secure
communications links to range people who could tell us to shut down at a moments
notice and our jammers were on a, few minutes on-lots of minutes off schedule.

Wes  N7WS

On 6/10/2016 1:03 PM, Fred Townsend wrote:
> This Is Likely Why The Navy Is Causing A Massive And Mysterious GPS Outage
> In The Western US - The Drive
>
> http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3865/this-is-likely-why-the-navy-is-cau
> sing-a-massive-and-mysterious-gps-outage-in-the-western-us
>
> Fred, AE6QL

Re: This will effect pilots and Hams throughout the Western US

Wes Stewart-2
I also follow the time-nuts reflector. One of he regulars is Tom Van Baak, who
had a part in the PBS series "Genius"
(http://www.pbs.org/genius-by-stephen-hawking/episodes/episode-1/) which was
largely filmed here in Tucson.

When I mentioned this to my friend Dan, AC6LA, he recommended the book,
"Longitude" by Dava Sobel. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longitude_(book)

The rest is probably self-explanatory.

On 6/10/2016 1:50 PM, brian wrote:
> Related to this.  The Naval Academy has started teaching Celestial Navigation
> again.  It had been discontinued.
>
> The Coast Guard never discontinued it.
>
> I also understand the old surplussed 10 kW Collins HF transmitters are being
> reacquired by the military.  Can teaching of CW be next?
>
> 73 de Brian/K3KO

Re: This will effect pilots and Hams throughout the Western US

Michael Walker
Notams where issued earlier this week for this.

It really isn't an Elecraft issue.  :)

Mike va3mw

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 6:01 PM, Wes Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How times have changed.  Back in 1997, when I was working as a contractor
> for my old company, Hughes Missile Systems (now Raytheon), I worked on
> implementing some jamming tests on the Tomahawk missile GPS.  FWIW, we put
> the missile section on a wooden pedestal covered in RF absorber on top of
> the rotating plate (also covered in absorber cones) under "The Arc" as seen
> here:
> http://www.kgun9.com/news/local-news/test-facility-at-ft-huachuca-assures-working-communications-equipment-for-soldiers
>
> Just for giggles, I climbed (took the stairs) "The Red Tower", the top of
> which would contain a good sized ham shack.  The tower is completely wooden
> and held together by fiberglass bolts.  The "dish" that is behind the guy
> being interviewed is actually a shaped reflector that in combination with a
> horn located below ground level forms a folded "compact" range, for those
> who understand such things. The leaning airfoil shaped tower holds the test
> subject at the plane-wave focal point of the reflector.  An M1 Abrams tank
> can be supported and rotated on top of this tower.
>
> We had to do our testing in the wee hours of the morning, with secure
> communications links to range people who could tell us to shut down at a
> moments notice and our jammers were on a, few minutes on-lots of minutes
> off schedule.
>
> Wes  N7WS
>

> On 6/10/2016 1:03 PM, Fred Townsend wrote:
>
>> This Is Likely Why The Navy Is Causing A Massive And Mysterious GPS Outage
>> In The Western US - The Drive
>>

>> http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3865/this-is-likely-why-the-navy-is-cau
>> sing-a-massive-and-mysterious-gps-outage-in-the-western-us
>>
>> Fred, AE6QL

Re: This will effect pilots and Hams throughout the Western US

Lynn W. Taylor, WB6UUT
Whatever they're testing, it isn't commercial aircraft.

The article seems to suggest that it's a jammer, and that makes some
sense.  They may be testing a system to detect intentionally distorted GPS.

While it may affect a whole lot of stuff (like the cell phone network),
an FAA Notice to Airmen would only cover things the FAA cares about.

73 -- Lynn

On 6/10/2016 2:56 PM, Kevin - K4VD wrote:
> Testing and practice all make sense but what isn't making sense about this
> is that we're disrupting GPS. Lots of stuff other than military rely on GPS
> and - just my humble opinion - It seems a little freaky that they are
> testing commercial aircraft.

Re: This will effect pilots and Hams throughout the Western US

Jim Sheldon
Actually it Is of concern to all K3 and K3S owners in and close to the affected area who use GPS disciplined oscillators to enhance frequency accuracy and stability via the K3EXREF module.

Jim - W0EB

Sent from my iPad

> On Jun 10, 2016, at 5:14 PM, Michael Walker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> It really isn't an Elecraft issue.  :)
>
> Mike va3mw
>

>> On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 6:01 PM, Wes Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> How times have changed.  Back in 1997, when I was working as a contractor
>> for my old company, Hughes Missile Systems (now Raytheon), I worked on
>> implementing some jamming tests on the Tomahawk missile GPS.  FWIW, we put
>> the missile section on a wooden pedestal covered in RF absorber on top of
>> the rotating plate (also covered in absorber cones) under "The Arc" as seen
>> here:
>> http://www.kgun9.com/news/local-news/test-facility-at-ft-huachuca-assures-working-communications-equipment-for-soldiers
>>
>> Just for giggles, I climbed (took the stairs) "The Red Tower", the top of
>> which would contain a good sized ham shack.  The tower is completely wooden
>> and held together by fiberglass bolts.  The "dish" that is behind the guy
>> being interviewed is actually a shaped reflector that in combination with a
>> horn located below ground level forms a folded "compact" range, for those
>> who understand such things. The leaning airfoil shaped tower holds the test
>> subject at the plane-wave focal point of the reflector.  An M1 Abrams tank
>> can be supported and rotated on top of this tower.
>>
>> We had to do our testing in the wee hours of the morning, with secure
>> communications links to range people who could tell us to shut down at a
>> moments notice and our jammers were on a, few minutes on-lots of minutes
>> off schedule.
>>
>> Wes  N7WS
>>

>>> On 6/10/2016 1:03 PM, Fred Townsend wrote:
>>>
>>> This Is Likely Why The Navy Is Causing A Massive And Mysterious GPS Outage
>>> In The Western US - The Drive
>>>

>>> http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3865/this-is-likely-why-the-navy-is-cau
>>> sing-a-massive-and-mysterious-gps-outage-in-the-western-us
>>>
>>> Fred, AE6QL

Re: This will effect pilots and Hams throughout the Western US

Michael Walker
If it is a concern to those with the K3EXREF, what happens to their
frequency stability?

Are they now off frequency?  What is plan B if your K3EXREF reference fails?

Does this even affect those?  If it does, than I am sure it will affect
most cell circuits as well.

Just curious.

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 6:32 PM, Jim Sheldon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Actually it Is of concern to all K3 and K3S owners in and close to the
> affected area who use GPS disciplined oscillators to enhance frequency
> accuracy and stability via the K3EXREF module.
>
> Jim - W0EB
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> > On Jun 10, 2016, at 5:14 PM, Michael Walker <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >

> > It really isn't an Elecraft issue.  :)
> >
> > Mike va3mw
> >

> >> On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 6:01 PM, Wes Stewart <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> How times have changed.  Back in 1997, when I was working as a
> contractor
> >> for my old company, Hughes Missile Systems (now Raytheon), I worked on
> >> implementing some jamming tests on the Tomahawk missile GPS.  FWIW, we
> put
> >> the missile section on a wooden pedestal covered in RF absorber on top
> of
> >> the rotating plate (also covered in absorber cones) under "The Arc" as
> seen
> >> here:
> >>
> http://www.kgun9.com/news/local-news/test-facility-at-ft-huachuca-assures-working-communications-equipment-for-soldiers
> >>
> >> Just for giggles, I climbed (took the stairs) "The Red Tower", the top
> of
> >> which would contain a good sized ham shack.  The tower is completely
> wooden
> >> and held together by fiberglass bolts.  The "dish" that is behind the
> guy
> >> being interviewed is actually a shaped reflector that in combination
> with a
> >> horn located below ground level forms a folded "compact" range, for
> those
> >> who understand such things. The leaning airfoil shaped tower holds the
> test
> >> subject at the plane-wave focal point of the reflector.  An M1 Abrams
> tank
> >> can be supported and rotated on top of this tower.
> >>
> >> We had to do our testing in the wee hours of the morning, with secure
> >> communications links to range people who could tell us to shut down at a
> >> moments notice and our jammers were on a, few minutes on-lots of minutes
> >> off schedule.
> >>
> >> Wes  N7WS

> Outage
> >>>

> http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3865/this-is-likely-why-the-navy-is-cau

> >> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
> >>
> >> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> >> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
> >> Message delivered to [hidden email]

> > Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: This will effect pilots and Hams throughout the Western US

NK7Z
On Fri, 2016-06-10 at 17:32 -0500, Jim Sheldon wrote:
> Actually it Is of concern to all K3 and K3S owners in and close to the
> affected area who use GPS disciplined oscillators to enhance frequency
> accuracy and stability via the K3EXREF module.
>
> Jim - W0EB

Well connected Jim.  :)
--
73's, and thanks,
Dave (NK7Z)

Re: This will effect pilots and Hams throughout the Western US

Jim Sheldon
That's going to be difficult to answer without knowing just what effect these "events" will have on the signals received by the GPSDO's control receiver. If the GPS signals are "spoofed" the GPSDO could very well be driven off frequency, causing the K3EXREF to cause the radio's frequency to be off by quite a bit, actual amount and direction unknown. If the signal simply is blocked, the effect will probably be very minimal and will vary by the frequency and stability of the GPSDO's unlocked crystal oscillator.

Without knowing exactly what they are doing, and exactly how that will affect the actual reception of the GPS (or GLONASS) signals, it will be impossible to predict exactly what will happen and that's why it should be of concern.

Jim - W0EB

> On Jun 10, 2016, at 5:35 PM, Michael Walker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> If it is a concern to those with the K3EXREF, what happens to their
> frequency stability?
>
> Are they now off frequency?  What is plan B if your K3EXREF reference fails?
>
> Does this even affect those?  If it does, than I am sure it will affect
> most cell circuits as well.
>
> Just curious.
>

>> On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 6:32 PM, Jim Sheldon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Actually it Is of concern to all K3 and K3S owners in and close to the
>> affected area who use GPS disciplined oscillators to enhance frequency
>> accuracy and stability via the K3EXREF module.
>>
>> Jim - W0EB
>>
>> Sent from my iPad

>>> wrote:
>>>

>>> It really isn't an Elecraft issue.  :)
>>>
>>> Mike va3mw

>> contractor
>> put
>> of
>> seen
>> http://www.kgun9.com/news/local-news/test-facility-at-ft-huachuca-assures-working-communications-equipment-for-soldiers

>> of
>> wooden
>> guy
>> with a
>> those
>> test
>> tank

>> Outage
>> http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3865/this-is-likely-why-the-navy-is-cau

>>> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: This will effect pilots and Hams throughout the Western US

Kevin Cozens-2
On 16-06-10 06:32 PM, Jim Sheldon wrote:
> Actually it Is of concern to all K3 and K3S owners in and close to the
> affected area who use GPS disciplined oscillators

The planned outage was cancelled two days ago.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2016/june/08/navy-cancels-planned-gps-outage-in-southern-california

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
                                 | powerful!"
#include <disclaimer/favourite> |             --Chris Hardwick

Re: This will effect pilots and Hams throughout the Western US

Kevin Stover
You forgot to add "and are related to Kevin Bacon".

On 6/10/2016 5:32 PM, Jim Sheldon wrote:

> Actually it Is of concern to all K3 and K3S owners in and close to the affected area who use GPS disciplined oscillators to enhance frequency accuracy and stability via the K3EXREF module.
>
> Jim - W0EB
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Jun 10, 2016, at 5:14 PM, Michael Walker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> It really isn't an Elecraft issue.  :)
>>
>> Mike va3mw
>>

>>> On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 6:01 PM, Wes Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> How times have changed.  Back in 1997, when I was working as a contractor
>>> for my old company, Hughes Missile Systems (now Raytheon), I worked on
>>> implementing some jamming tests on the Tomahawk missile GPS.  FWIW, we put
>>> the missile section on a wooden pedestal covered in RF absorber on top of
>>> the rotating plate (also covered in absorber cones) under "The Arc" as seen
>>> here:
>>> http://www.kgun9.com/news/local-news/test-facility-at-ft-huachuca-assures-working-communications-equipment-for-soldiers
>>>
>>> Just for giggles, I climbed (took the stairs) "The Red Tower", the top of
>>> which would contain a good sized ham shack.  The tower is completely wooden
>>> and held together by fiberglass bolts.  The "dish" that is behind the guy
>>> being interviewed is actually a shaped reflector that in combination with a
>>> horn located below ground level forms a folded "compact" range, for those
>>> who understand such things. The leaning airfoil shaped tower holds the test
>>> subject at the plane-wave focal point of the reflector.  An M1 Abrams tank
>>> can be supported and rotated on top of this tower.
>>>
>>> We had to do our testing in the wee hours of the morning, with secure
>>> communications links to range people who could tell us to shut down at a
>>> moments notice and our jammers were on a, few minutes on-lots of minutes
>>> off schedule.
>>>
>>> Wes  N7WS

>>> Message delivered to [hidden email]

R. Kevin Stover
AC0H
ARRL
FISTS #11993
SKCC #215
NAQCC #3441

---

Re: This will effect pilots and Hams throughout the Western US

Andy McMullin
Disrupting isn’t the same as turning off!

As was found during a test over here, a number of systems rely upon GPS time signals and can happily revert to their own internal clock for a while if the GPS is off — but not if the GPS signal is disrupted. The primary network clock for the main broadband supplier in the country was an example.

Personally I’d prefer to fly in a plane where there’s an alternative that’s been tried and tested in the [OK, it seem unlikely at the moment] event that the GPS system gets fried.

Andy

> On 10 Jun 2016, at 22:56, Kevin - K4VD <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Testing and practice all make sense but what isn't making sense about this
> is that we're disrupting GPS. Lots of stuff other than military rely on GPS
> and - just my humble opinion - It seems a little freaky that they are
> testing commercial aircraft.
>
> Wouldn't as valid a test simply be to turn off the GPS receiver? I mean
> testing for a power outage at a commercial data center doesn't require
> turning off power to the city.
>
> It all kind of seems strange to me.
>
> Kev
>

> On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 5:07 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> When I was servicing shipboard electronics systems in the 90's, one of my
>> regular "charges" as a civilian contractor was the Naval Hospital ship USNS
>> Mercy ported in San Francisco, CA. I went to sea on her several times to
>> check/calibrate nav systems, radars, direction finders, GPS gear, etc.
>> under
>> operational conditions.
>>
>> On one trip I noticed officers on the grabbing sextants and heading out
>> onto
>> the bridge wings. I asked the Captain if the US Navy still used sextants to
>> navigate in this day and age. He smiled and said, "If we go to war, most of
>> that stuff up there (pointing to the sky) will be disabled in the first
>> hour. My officers will know how to get us wherever we're needed without
>> it!"
>>

>> 73, Ron AC7AC

Gary Smith-2
As a precaution for those in the affected area using the K3EXREF
module, you might go to ref cal, wait for the asterisk to flash, hit
A/B once and disconnect the GPS till the test is over.

73,

Gary
KA1J

> On Fri, 2016-06-10 at 17:32 -0500, Jim Sheldon wrote:
> > Actually it Is of concern to all K3 and K3S owners in and close to the
> > affected area who use GPS disciplined oscillators to enhance frequency
> > accuracy and stability via the K3EXREF module.
> >
> > Jim - W0EB

for sale k3

Jeff Griffin
I have a K3/10 serial 1516, along with a 2m module and a 2.1 filter that is
in excess to my needs. All mods are up to date. Asking price is 2000$
shipped CONUS. I will ship elsewhere, shipping will be actual cost.

73 Jeff kb2m

for sale k3

Jeff Griffin
The K3 is sold, awaiting funds. Thanks for all the interest....

73 Jeff kb2m