Too much of a good thing is just fine

Edward A. Dauer
Curious about something, if I may ask a personal question.  As others on
the reflector have said, buying Elecraft kits can be habit-forming. I have
the K3, KPA500, KAT500, P3, KX3, PX3, KXPA100, K2/100, KPA100, every
accessory for every one of them, and a handful of the mini kits (noise
generator, balun, power meter, etc.)  Last week I ordered a K1; it should
be here tomorrow.  I haven¹t the slightest idea what I¹m going to do with
it after I build it.

I so enjoyed building the K2 that I am seriously thinking about buying
another, as you did.  But I don¹t know what I would do with that either.
And so, just wondering about your doing the same . . .

Is there a support group somewhere that we can all go to, forthrightly to
confess our addiction?  Or is that actually what the reflector is for . .
. finding forgiveness in the resonance with others. . . ?

Ted, KN1CBR

>------------------------------
>
>Message: 27
>Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 19:18:30 -0700 (MST)
>From: TFJM <[hidden email]>
>To: [hidden email]
>Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Just Received my New KX3
>

>Funny you should say that. I have only had my KX3 a week and I'm already
>looking at and reading about the K3S. I better get a hold of myself - at
>least until I get back from Dayton in May.
>
>73=Tom
>W1PDI

Re: Too much of a good thing is just fine

Phil Hystad-3
I had that addiction.  I was doomed, on my way to continually build every kit offered by Elecraft for the rest of my days.

I was saved by my other hobby of woodworking — instead of soldering iron in my hand, I hold a hand-plane.  Instead of exotic components, I work with exotic woods.  Instead of resulting with a radio sitting on the shelf collecting dust, I have furniture that collects dust.

73, phil, K7PEH

> On Mar 24, 2016, at 8:00 AM, Dauer, Edward <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Curious about something, if I may ask a personal question.  As others on
> the reflector have said, buying Elecraft kits can be habit-forming. I have
> the K3, KPA500, KAT500, P3, KX3, PX3, KXPA100, K2/100, KPA100, every
> accessory for every one of them, and a handful of the mini kits (noise
> generator, balun, power meter, etc.)  Last week I ordered a K1; it should
> be here tomorrow.  I havenąt the slightest idea what Iąm going to do with
> it after I build it.
>
> I so enjoyed building the K2 that I am seriously thinking about buying
> another, as you did.  But I donąt know what I would do with that either.
> And so, just wondering about your doing the same . . .
>
> Is there a support group somewhere that we can all go to, forthrightly to
> confess our addiction?  Or is that actually what the reflector is for . .
> . finding forgiveness in the resonance with others. . . ?
>
> Ted, KN1CBR
>

>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 27
>> Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 19:18:30 -0700 (MST)
>> From: TFJM <[hidden email]>
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Just Received my New KX3
>>

>> Funny you should say that. I have only had my KX3 a week and I'm already
>> looking at and reading about the K3S. I better get a hold of myself - at
>> least until I get back from Dayton in May.
>>
>> 73=Tom
>> W1PDI

Gary Smith-2
Ted et al,

The first step is understanding you have no addiction.

The second step is acknowledging your have a dedicated avocation.

You could be forever buying non-working lottery tickets with what you
spend but instead you are wisely constructing something tangible that
is useful and with that dedication, you're making quality items from
quality materials and assembled in a Quality Controlled environment.

So here's an idea for what you can do with what otherwise would be
superfluous by duplication, Elecraft equipment: Contact your local
ham club, do you have an auction or better yet, a hamfest? No? Is
there one local enough, that would do. Now go and talk to the powers
that be and offer your time and assembly skills with them buying the
kit in mind and raffling it off. If it flies as it likely will, they
may want to do the same again the following year. And then you get to
build for free.

Win Win & Easy Peasy

Cheers & 73,

Gary
KA1J
Who keeps adding to his K3s...

> Curious about something, if I may ask a personal question.  As others on
> the reflector have said, buying Elecraft kits can be habit-forming. I have
> the K3, KPA500, KAT500, P3, KX3, PX3, KXPA100, K2/100, KPA100, every
> accessory for every one of them, and a handful of the mini kits (noise
> generator, balun, power meter, etc.)  Last week I ordered a K1; it should
> be here tomorrow.  I haven¹t the slightest idea what I¹m going to do with
> it after I build it.
>
> I so enjoyed building the K2 that I am seriously thinking about buying
> another, as you did.  But I don¹t know what I would do with that either.
> And so, just wondering about your doing the same . . .
>
> Is there a support group somewhere that we can all go to, forthrightly to
> confess our addiction?  Or is that actually what the reflector is for . .
> . finding forgiveness in the resonance with others. . . ?
>
> Ted, KN1CBR

Re: Too much of a good thing is just fine

lstavenhagen
sorry, gents, I'm not going to be any help to you at _all_ LOL. The only effective treatment available is probably a 2nd job or a rich XYL hi hi. Other than that, I think we're just screwed...

73,
LS
W5QD

Re: Too much of a good thing is just fine

Kevin Stover
Na, it could be worse.
You could be buying or building boats.
A boat being defined as a "hole in the water you pour money into".

--
R. Kevin Stover
AC0H

---

Re: Too much of a good thing is just fine

Ken K6MR
Or the other alternative:  “What makes an airplane fly?   MONEY”

Ken K6MR

--
R. Kevin Stover
AC0H

---

Re: Too much of a good thing is just fine

John Pitz
There is truth to the boat thing...  Anyone here interested in buying a
1978 San Juan 28 sailboat?  She has been very well maintained.
Currently she is in Saint Joseph, MI.