USB to RS232 cable or adapter

Bob-270
The issue of USB to serial converters comes up quite often. It has just recently
in the last few days. While hunting for another item I stumbled across this:

http://www.amazon.com/Serial-RS232-Cable-FTDI-chipset/dp/B005WZZUZI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1373840589&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+serial+ftdi+two+rs232

USB to two separate RS232 ports using the preferred FTDI chipset for a puny $8.

So, ordered but untried.

73,
Bob
K2TK

Re: USB to RS232 cable or adapter

Richard Fjeld
It will require quite a test using HRD, or something more demanding.
Let us know, or at least me.

Dick, n0ce

>The issue of USB to serial converters comes up quite often. It has just
>recently in the last few days. While hunting for another item I
>stumbled across this:
>
>http://www.amazon.com/Serial-RS232-Cable-FTDI-chipset/dp/B005WZZUZI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1373840589&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+serial+ftdi+two+rs232
>
>USB to two separate RS232 ports using the preferred FTDI chipset for a
>puny $8.
>
>So, ordered but untried.
>
>73,
>Bob
>K2TK

Re: USB to RS232 cable or adapter

Fred Smith
Some of the ones from China work but some do not at all with a lot of my
programs.

Don't ask how I know or the "Deal?" I got on them.

73,
Fred/N0AZZ
K3 Ser # 6730--KX3 # 2573--K2/100 # 6470-KAT100
P3/SVGA--KPA500--KAT500--W2

The issue of USB to serial converters comes up quite often. It has just
recently in the last few days. While hunting for another item I stumbled
across this:

http://www.amazon.com/Serial-RS232-Cable-FTDI-chipset/dp/B005WZZUZI/ref=sr_1
_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1373840589&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+serial+ftdi+two+rs232

USB to two separate RS232 ports using the preferred FTDI chipset for a puny
$8.

So, ordered but untried.

73,
Bob
K2TK

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: USB to RS232 cable or adapter

Richard Fjeld
In the past, I thought one or two of these worked okay until certain conditions happened and something would burp, or worse.  It was the adapter. A good deal is still possible, but will take time to prove.

Dick, n0ce

Re: USB to RS232 cable or adapter

Chester Alderman
The below is a post I made to the N1MM Logger group and may be of some
interest here. For more detail information, copy the wa8lmf URL in the K3CT
post, into your browser.

I recently purchased 'my last PC' and it's running on Windows 8 64-bit op
system. This new PC, while it has a ton of bells and whistles, it, of
course, has no serial or parallel ports.

Based on John's post referencing the article by WA8LMF, I went to the Gearmo
web page and purchased two of their USA-FTDI2X USB 2.0 to RS-232 converters.
Even though I did not ask for it, I received my order the day after ordering
it! After removing the eight Com ports automatically loaded on this PC, I
configured the two converters for Com 1 through 4  and set up N1MM to
operate with my K3.  These converters, USB input and two RS-232 DB9 outputs,
work excellent with my N1MM setup, both CW and RTTY operation is the same as
with my prior PC with internal serial ports. In addition, these converters
also work well with my K3 when I am QSO'ing using my old YPlog (QRQ) logging
program.

I would recommend these converters to anyone upgrading their PC that has no
serial ports.

73,
Tom - W4BQF

Re: USB to RS232 cable or adapter

Alan Hawrylyshen
All;

I have this exact cable, I paid full price for it over a year ago. It is connected to my K3 and I use it with my XG3, TM-D710, D72 and a large collection of devices. It is a real FTDI chipset (dual UART) and there have been ZERO problems. This is not a Prolific clone.

At the listed price I will likely buy another.

73
Alan
K2ACK

On Jul 14, 2013, at 16:56 , Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The issue of USB to serial converters comes up quite often. It has just recently in the last few days. While hunting for another item I stumbled across this:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Serial-RS232-Cable-FTDI-chipset/dp/B005WZZUZI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1373840589&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+serial+ftdi+two+rs232
>
> USB to two separate RS232 ports using the preferred FTDI chipset for a puny $8.
>
> So, ordered but untried.
>
> 73,
> Bob
> K2TK

Re: USB to RS232 cable or adapter

Jack Berry
I opted for an 8 port adapter. I paid more but I'll never run out of ports - I hope! I'm currently using 3 of the 8 but have used more with different equipment arrangements. I can assign any com port to any of the 8 RS232 ports as long as I don't duplicate. I also have a 4 port USB hub and can see a day coming when I'll have to move to a bigger hub - all 4 ports are in use including one to the RS232 hub.

God Bless & 73!
Jack - WE5ST

________________________________
I have this exact cable, I paid full price for it over a year ago. It is connected to my K3 and I use it with my XG3, TM-D710, D72 and a large collection of devices. It is a real FTDI chipset (dual UART) and there have been ZERO problems. This is not a Prolific clone.

At the listed price I will likely buy another.

73
Alan
K2ACK

On Jul 14, 2013, at 16:56 , Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The issue of USB to serial converters comes up quite often. It has just recently in the last few days. While hunting for another item I stumbled across this:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Serial-RS232-Cable-FTDI-chipset/dp/B005WZZUZI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1373840589&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+serial+ftdi+two+rs232
>
> USB to two separate RS232 ports using the preferred FTDI chipset for a puny $8.
>
> So, ordered but untried.
>
> 73,
> Bob
> K2TK

Re: USB to RS232 cable or adapter

Fred Smith
While searching for a new hub recently I came across one I had not seen
before. I had been using 2 7 port hubs but had ran out of ports on them, yes
I have a lot of things on the desk requiring several USB ports.

I was looking at the Manhattan web site as I had used them for some time
because of their Lifetime Warranty. It was there I found the" USB Hub 28
ports total 14 plug in on the top and 14 on the sides. Each port has its own
lighted switch  so that each port can be turned on or off easily. 4 of the
posts are USB3.0 the remaining 20 USB 2.0 your computer does need at least 1
USB 3 port to have them on the hub. I am currently using 18 of the ports and
finally able to have most all hooked up at one time.

The hub is extremely well built and works perfectly I wish I had found one
like a long time ago. It retails for $99 but I found mine online at
Amazon.com for $58 free shipping. It you need a large hub with switches to
turn ports on or off this is it and as always it has their Lifetime
Warranty.

73,
Fred/N0AZZ
K3 Ser # 6730--KX3 # 2573--K2/100 # 6470-KAT100
P3/SVGA--KPA500--KAT500--W2

I have this exact cable, I paid full price for it over a year ago. It is
connected to my K3 and I use it with my XG3, TM-D710, D72 and a large
collection of devices. It is a real FTDI chipset (dual UART) and there have
been ZERO problems. This is not a Prolific clone.

At the listed price I will likely buy another.

73
Alan
K2ACK

On Jul 14, 2013, at 16:56 , Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The issue of USB to serial converters comes up quite often. It has just
recently in the last few days. While hunting for another item I stumbled
across this:

> http://www.amazon.com/Serial-RS232-Cable-FTDI-chipset/dp/B005WZZUZI/re
> f=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1373840589&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+serial+ftdi+two+rs
> 232
>
> USB to two separate RS232 ports using the preferred FTDI chipset for a
puny $8.

> So, ordered but untried.
>
> 73,
> Bob