Quantcast

Ultimatic keying in KX1/K1?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Ultimatic keying in KX1/K1?

n2htt-2
I hope I'm not reviving an old discussion here, but I searched the reflector archives and didn't find too much on the subject....

I have discovered that Ultimatic style keying is a lot easier for me and I send a lot better using it rather than iambic A/B.  Is there any room in the KX1 or K1 roms for adding this mode in some future release?

(Not asking about K2 'cause I don't own one... yet.  K3 seems like more radio than I need, but awesome nevertheless.)

Thanks,
Mike N2HTT
_______________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Post to: [hidden email]
You must be a subscriber to post to the list.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, sub, unsub etc.):
 http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft   

Help: http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft web page: http://www.elecraft.com

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: Ultimatic keying in KX1/K1?

k7nhb
Mike,
It's my understanding that the MODE is a function of the chip being
used. At this time I know of three Ultimatic units. The cube keyer
that goes with that mini Palm paddle key (the newer cube), the
offerings from Jackson Harbor - I think the PK4 chip (that's used the
new Palm), and there's a keyer for about $17 that is constantly for
sale on that Auction site (I think it comes up when searching on QRP)
Unfortunately, I don't believe the older PK3 chip is plug to plug
compatible. That is, you can't take a keyer based on the PK3 Chip and
plug in the PK4.

I think the circuit board for the basic keyer (not a lot of memories)
is pretty small. So you might be able to stick in inside the rig and
just wire it to the key jack - or you can install it as a small box
at the key end - sort of in-line with your key.

I became aware of ultramatic - an old Ten Tec mode - in discussion in
the FISTS newsgroup. Like you (and me) many did not like the iambic
keyer action but wanted to use a dual paddle. There was a great cheer
in the newsgroup when a member reminded them of Ultramatic mode. It
was just what they wanted.

Good luck and 73,
Paul
_______________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Post to: [hidden email]
You must be a subscriber to post to the list.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, sub, unsub etc.):
 http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft   

Help: http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft web page: http://www.elecraft.com

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Ultimatic keying in KX1/K1?

Don Wilhelm-3
The K1EL keyers also support Ultimatic mode.  They are small inexpensive
PC boards.  I use the K12 to provide Ultimatic mode, much easier for me.

I too would like to see the KX1 and K1 rigs provide Ultimatic keying.
The K2 is not a problem for me - the external keyer works fine, but it
would be nice to have Ultimatic 'inside' the K2 and K3 too.

73,
Don W3FPR

Paul wrote:

> Mike,
> It's my understanding that the MODE is a function of the chip being
> used. At this time I know of three Ultimatic units. The cube keyer that
> goes with that mini Palm paddle key (the newer cube), the offerings from
> Jackson Harbor - I think the PK4 chip (that's used the new Palm), and
> there's a keyer for about $17 that is constantly for sale on that
> Auction site (I think it comes up when searching on QRP) Unfortunately,
> I don't believe the older PK3 chip is plug to plug compatible. That is,
> you can't take a keyer based on the PK3 Chip and plug in the PK4.
>
> I think the circuit board for the basic keyer (not a lot of memories) is
> pretty small. So you might be able to stick in inside the rig and just
> wire it to the key jack - or you can install it as a small box at the
> key end - sort of in-line with your key.
_______________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Post to: [hidden email]
You must be a subscriber to post to the list.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, sub, unsub etc.):
 http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft   

Help: http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft web page: http://www.elecraft.com

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Ultimatic keying in KX1/K1?

n2htt-2
In reply to this post by n2htt-2
Thanks to all who offered comments.... I went with an N0XAS PicoKeyer (hamgadgets.com) - this is pretty much the same keyer as the RockMite upgrade chip, in a small stand-alone board.Easy build, works great and has Ultimatic mode.Still, someday in some future rom upgrade it would be nice to have Ultimatic keying on board in the K* rigs.73,Mike
_______________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Post to: [hidden email]
You must be a subscriber to post to the list.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, sub, unsub etc.):
 http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft   

Help: http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft web page: http://www.elecraft.com

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Ultimatic keying in KX1/K1?

k6dgw
[hidden email] wrote:
> Still, someday in some future rom upgrade it
> would be nice to have Ultimatic keying on board in the K*
> rigs.

If anyone would like to refresh my memory on Ultimatic keyers, I'd be
happy to read it.  I remember a QST article at least 200 years ago about
it, I think it might have been on the cover too.  I know about Iambic, I
have an Iambic-A keying type [and O+ blood type].  Iambic-B is hard for
me, however I don't really know the technical difference between them, I
just know that B adds dits I didn't send.

Given the amount of traffic on the Elecraft list these days, it would be
good [and kind to everyone else who undoubtedly all know the answer] to
reply to me direct :-)

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2007 CQP Oct 6-7
- www.cqp.org
_______________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Post to: [hidden email]
You must be a subscriber to post to the list.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, sub, unsub etc.):
 http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft   

Help: http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft web page: http://www.elecraft.com

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Ultimatic keying in KX1/K1?

Sam Morgan
Fred Jensen wrote:
> If anyone would like to refresh my memory on Ultimatic keyers, I'd be
> happy to read it.  
>
http://www.ac6rm.net/mailarchive/html/elecraft-list/2005-02/msg00563.html

--
GB & 73's
KA5OAI
Sam Morgan
_______________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Post to: [hidden email]
You must be a subscriber to post to the list.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, sub, unsub etc.):
 http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft   

Help: http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft web page: http://www.elecraft.com

Loading...