Using K3 with AMP

K4GM-George
For several years I keyed my Dentron Clipperton L amp from the jack on
my Pro II. I did not use any buffer and it always worked fine because
the voltage/current being keyed are w/i limitations of the Pro II.
Without powering up the AMP I ran a cable from the AMP to the jack on
the K3 I just received.  I noticed that WITHOUT AC power to the amp when
I moved the standby switch to operate the K3 PTT was keyed and the rig
put out normal power.  This is w/o the AMP being ON.  Any thoughts from
anyone? I do have an AMPKEYER available to use between the units but
thought I could key the AMP  directly. Why would my STANDY/OPERATE
switch on the amp operate as a PTT switch?  Do I need to set a parameter
in the K3?  Of course all equipment share a common ground connection.

73, K4GM George

Re: Using K3 with AMP

Don Wilhelm-4
George,

What K3 jack are you connecting the amp to?  You should be connecting to
the KEYOUT jack.  If you have connected to the K3 PTT input instead, I
could understand that you might have difficulties like you describe.

K4GM-George wrote:

> For several years I keyed my Dentron Clipperton L amp from the jack on
> my Pro II. I did not use any buffer and it always worked fine because
> the voltage/current being keyed are w/i limitations of the Pro II.
> Without powering up the AMP I ran a cable from the AMP to the jack on
> the K3 I just received.  I noticed that WITHOUT AC power to the amp
> when I moved the standby switch to operate the K3 PTT was keyed and
> the rig put out normal power.  This is w/o the AMP being ON.  Any
> thoughts from anyone? I do have an AMPKEYER available to use between
> the units but thought I could key the AMP  directly. Why would my
> STANDY/OPERATE switch on the amp operate as a PTT switch?  Do I need
> to set a parameter in the K3?  Of course all equipment share a common
> ground connection.

Re: Using K3 with AMP

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML

Don Wilhelm wrote:
> George,
>
> What K3 jack are you connecting the amp to?  You should be connecting to
> the KEYOUT jack.  If you have connected to the K3 PTT input instead, I
> could understand that you might have difficulties like you describe.

Or to the "KEY" input next to it, it if was in CW mode...

     ~Iain