Using USB mode for PSK31 rather than DATA A

Using USB mode for PSK31 rather than DATA A

Steven.Zabarnick
After all this discussion of power control in DATA A mode vs SSB, I decided
to try using PSK31 with USB mode, rather than DATA A. I changed the MIC SEL
menu item to Line IN and adjusted the ALC meter to 4-5 bars using the MIC
GAIN control. The PSK31 power output appeared to closely match the K3 power
setting. Unfortunately, I received horrendous feedback about the widthand
IMD of my signal -- when I returned to DATA A mode, my signal width and IMD
returned back to acceptable values.

Steve N9SZ

Re: Using USB mode for PSK31 rather than DATA A

Bob Cunnings NW8L
Did you turn compression off?

Bob NW8L

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 12:12 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After all this discussion of power control in DATA A mode vs SSB, I decided
> to try using PSK31 with USB mode, rather than DATA A. I changed the MIC SEL
> menu item to Line IN and adjusted the ALC meter to 4-5 bars using the MIC
> GAIN control. The PSK31 power output appeared to closely match the K3 power
> setting. Unfortunately, I received horrendous feedback about the widthand
> IMD of my signal -- when I returned to DATA A mode, my signal width and IMD
> returned back to acceptable values.
>
> Steve N9SZ

Re: Using USB mode for PSK31 rather than DATA A

Steven.Zabarnick
No I did not turn off compression. I will give this a try. Has anyone else
tried using PSK31 with USB mode?

wrote:
> After all this discussion of power control in DATA A mode vs SSB, I
decided
> to try using PSK31 with USB mode, rather than DATA A. I changed the MIC
SEL
> menu item to Line IN and adjusted the ALC meter to 4-5 bars using the MIC
> GAIN control. The PSK31 power output appeared to closely match the K3
power
> setting. Unfortunately, I received horrendous feedback about the widthand
> IMD of my signal -- when I returned to DATA A mode, my signal width and
IMD
> returned back to acceptable values.
>
> Steve N9SZ

Re: Using USB mode for PSK31 rather than DATA A

Bob Cunnings NW8L
That's it - you must turn compression off, one of the virtues of DATA
A is that it does this for you automatically. With compression off it
should work fine.

See pg. 31 of the K3 Owner's Manual where it says:

"Soundcard-based data communications can be done
using LSB or USB mode. However, DATA modes
offer several benefits not available in SSB modes.
If you prefer to use LSB or USB, you'll need to
manually set CMP to 0 to prevent data signal
distortion..."

Bob NW8L

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 12:47 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No I did not turn off compression. I will give this a try. Has anyone else
> tried using PSK31 with USB mode?
>
>>Did you turn compression off?
>>
>>Bob NW8L
>
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 12:12 PM,  <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> After all this discussion of power control in DATA A mode vs SSB, I
> decided
>> to try using PSK31 with USB mode, rather than DATA A. I changed the MIC
> SEL
>> menu item to Line IN and adjusted the ALC meter to 4-5 bars using the MIC
>> GAIN control. The PSK31 power output appeared to closely match the K3
> power
>> setting. Unfortunately, I received horrendous feedback about the widthand
>> IMD of my signal -- when I returned to DATA A mode, my signal width and
> IMD
>> returned back to acceptable values.
>>
>> Steve N9SZ

Re: Using USB mode for PSK31 rather than DATA A

Bill Johnson-9
If you used the equalizer you will also need to flatten the response as
well.  I have not used it in SSB mode.  I prefer using narrower filter.

73,

Bill
K9YEQ
K2 #35; KX1 #35; K3 #1744; mini mods

wrote:
> After all this discussion of power control in DATA A mode vs SSB, I
decided
> to try using PSK31 with USB mode, rather than DATA A. I changed the MIC
SEL
> menu item to Line IN and adjusted the ALC meter to 4-5 bars using the MIC
> GAIN control. The PSK31 power output appeared to closely match the K3
power
> setting. Unfortunately, I received horrendous feedback about the widthand
> IMD of my signal -- when I returned to DATA A mode, my signal width and
IMD
> returned back to acceptable values.
>
> Steve N9SZ

Re: Using USB mode for PSK31 rather than DATA A

Julian, G4ILO

Bob Cunnings wrote
That's it - you must turn compression off, one of the virtues of DATA
A is that it does this for you automatically. With compression off it
should work fine.
Yes, you must turn it off. I forget every time I try this, which is one of the reasons it's not a good workaround as far as I am concerned.

Also, you don't need 4 or 5 bars of ALC to keep the output flat across the passband. Unfortunately the K3 ALC is not very progressive - on mine it's one increment of the input to go from no bars to a flashing 3 bars. If you set the level until ALC starts to appear, that will probably be all you need.
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222 KX3 #110
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html
* KTune - http://www.g4ilo.com/ktune.html

Re: Using USB mode for PSK31 rather than DATA A

hb9ari@bluewin.ch
Steve,

With my K3 , i use USB for PSK31 and i've set the
button "PWR" to 100W, the "LINE" (rear line input) to 50
and i adjust the output level of my sound card
with "Tune" mode of Digipan (a ~ single tone) to get ~ 50W average
output; during PSK31 transmission, i've an
average output power between 15 and 25 W depending upon transmitted text.
Sometimes, i do a little adjustment by lowering the audio
drive to NEVER get an average output power over 25W
(measured with LP-100A with a SWR <= 1.4:1 and 1.1:1 on the
K3 (ATU ON) )
I do test with a 2nd instance of Digipan running
with a 2nd TX/RX (FT857) and a 2nd sound card; i get an IMD between
-24 and -28dB; it should be a little better "ON AIR",
because i've a little "proximity" effect with my "Winter"
antenna at only 3 meters from my FT857....at the balcony.
Anyway, these values are not too bad and are a little bit
better than the average of received stations (between -16 and -24dB).

73 QRO de Rudolf, HB9ARI

PS May be it's not the best setup, but it work for me and
i announce a 25W to my correspondents.

[hidden email] wrote:

> No I did not turn off compression. I will give this a try. Has anyone else
> tried using PSK31 with USB mode?
>

>> Did you turn compression off?
>>
>> Bob NW8L
>>

> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 12:12 PM,  <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> After all this discussion of power control in DATA A mode vs SSB, I
>>
> decided
>
>> to try using PSK31 with USB mode, rather than DATA A. I changed the MIC
>>
> SEL
>
>> menu item to Line IN and adjusted the ALC meter to 4-5 bars using the MIC
>> GAIN control. The PSK31 power output appeared to closely match the K3
>>
> power
>
>> setting. Unfortunately, I received horrendous feedback about the widthand
>> IMD of my signal -- when I returned to DATA A mode, my signal width and
>>
> IMD
>
>> returned back to acceptable values.
>>
>> Steve N9SZ

Re: Using USB mode for PSK31 rather than DATA A

Ed K3IXD
I do PSK31 in USB and RTTY in LSB. No problems. And make sure the
compressor is off.
73, Ed
K3IXD
K3 #1726

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 14:47:32 -0500
From: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Using USB mode for PSK31 rather than DATA A
To: [hidden email]

wrote:
 > > After all this discussion of power control in DATA A mode vs SSB, I
decided
 > > to try using PSK31 with USB mode, rather than DATA A. I changed the MIC
SEL
 > > menu item to Line IN and adjusted the ALC meter to 4-5 bars using
the MIC
 > > GAIN control. The PSK31 power output appeared to closely match the K3
power
 > > setting. Unfortunately, I received horrendous feedback about the
widthand
 > > IMD of my signal -- when I returned to DATA A mode, my signal width and
IMD
 > > returned back to acceptable values.
 > >
 > > Steve N9SZ

Re: Using USB mode for PSK31 rather than DATA A

K4GM-George
Why do u prefer to data modes?

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 14:47:32 -0500
From: [hidden email]