Quantcast

Wait For The K4 Direct RF Sampled SDR?

Bob Schumacher
Given the advances in direct RF sampled SDRs (currently available QS1R, soon to be released Flex-6000, etc.), Elecraft must be quietly working on on an RF sampled K4 SDR. Maybe we will see an anouncement in May at Dayton? I am wondering if I should take the leap with the Flex or wait for Elecraft? I suspect that Elecraft will provide a higher value solution. Any speculation on this point by Elecraft fans?

Thanks,

W9DBR

Re: Wait For The K4 Direct RF Sampled SDR?

Edward Dickinson III
Speculation..?  Visalia, not Dayton.  I think I like the idea of a variable
page, touch screen interface.  .not sure about how successful such an
implementation might be.

Dick - KA5KKT

  _____

Given the advances in direct RF sampled SDRs (currently available QS1R, soon
to be released Flex-6000, etc.), Elecraft must be quietly working on on an
RF sampled K4 SDR. Maybe we will see an anouncement in May at Dayton? I am
wondering if I should take the leap with the Flex or wait for Elecraft? I
suspect that Elecraft will provide a higher value solution. Any speculation
on this point by Elecraft fans?

Thanks,

W9DBR

Re: Wait For The K4 Direct RF Sampled SDR?

Gary Gregory-2
But will it make my coffee?

74
Gary

Sent from my Galaxy SIII
On 13/03/2013 2:16 PM, "Edward Dickinson III" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Speculation..?  Visalia, not Dayton.  I think I like the idea of a variable
> page, touch screen interface.  .not sure about how successful such an
> implementation might be.
>

> Dick - KA5KKT
>
>   _____
>
> Given the advances in direct RF sampled SDRs (currently available QS1R,
> soon
> to be released Flex-6000, etc.), Elecraft must be quietly working on on an
> RF sampled K4 SDR. Maybe we will see an anouncement in May at Dayton? I am
> wondering if I should take the leap with the Flex or wait for Elecraft? I
> suspect that Elecraft will provide a higher value solution. Any speculation
> on this point by Elecraft fans?
>

> Thanks,
>

> W9DBR

Re: Wait For The K4 Direct RF Sampled SDR?

No need to speculate. There is no such project underway at Elecraft.

Direct RF-sampling receivers, for all their technology, still lag well
behind the K3 in blocking dynamic range, and probably will continue to
for years to come. We're quite happy with our superhet architecture.
Also, any advancement we make to the K3 will be retrofittable to
existing K3s, so your investment is safe.

On Mar 12, 2013, at 8:04 PM, Bob Schumacher wrote:

> Given the advances in direct RF sampled SDRs (currently available
> QS1R, soon to be released Flex-6000, etc.), Elecraft must be quietly
> working on on an RF sampled K4 SDR. Maybe we will see an anouncement
> in May at Dayton? I am wondering if I should take the leap with the
> Flex or wait for Elecraft? I suspect that Elecraft will provide a
> higher value solution. Any speculation on this point by Elecraft fans?
>
> Thanks,
>
> W9DBR

Re: Wait For The K4 Direct RF Sampled SDR?

Barry K3NDM
I'm sort of curious about what Flex is doing with their new radio. The
heart of it has to be a very good A/D converter, but the best thing I'm
aware of is an Analog Devices 16 bit, 100 Msp/s one that ain't exactly
cheap. To approach the dynamic range in the KX3 and the K3, 16 bits may
be a might short.

I, too, believe that direct sampling and high dynamic range is still a
bit off particularly if you want to be able to afford one. I like the
magic of my KX3 when used with NaP3 and a 24 bit, ASIO compliant sound
card. As a practical matter, it serves for the 95% situations. those
last five will include a lightning storm over my house or someone like
W3LPL moving next door.

73,
Barry
K3NDM

On 3/13/2013 9:49 AM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> No need to speculate. There is no such project underway at Elecraft.
>
> Direct RF-sampling receivers, for all their technology, still lag well
> behind the K3 in blocking dynamic range, and probably will continue to
> for years to come. We're quite happy with our superhet architecture.
> Also, any advancement we make to the K3 will be retrofittable to
> existing K3s, so your investment is safe.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>

> On Mar 12, 2013, at 8:04 PM, Bob Schumacher wrote:
>
>> Given the advances in direct RF sampled SDRs (currently available
>> QS1R, soon to be released Flex-6000, etc.), Elecraft must be quietly
>> working on on an RF sampled K4 SDR. Maybe we will see an anouncement
>> in May at Dayton? I am wondering if I should take the leap with the
>> Flex or wait for Elecraft? I suspect that Elecraft will provide a
>> higher value solution. Any speculation on this point by Elecraft fans?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> W9DBR

Re: Wait For The K4 Direct RF Sampled SDR?

WB4SON
"those last five will include a lightning storm over my house or
someone like W3LPL moving next door."

Been there, done that!

1) Antenna struck by lightning while radio was on.  Can you say
bye-bye antenna, coax, radio, power supply, computer, monitor, rig
interface, etc.?

2) Lived next door to Jim Lawson's (W2PV) super-station in
Schenectady, New York.  When he was on the air, you could hold a 4
foot long florescent lamp in your hand and walk in my side-yard and it
would flash along with the CW.  Kept me off the air most weekends.

These days I'm pretty sure that my K3 would survive #2.

73, Bob, WB4SON

73, Bob, WB4SON

Re: Wait For The K4 Direct RF Sampled SDR?

Michael Poteet
Maybe not a K4 but why not a K2A?   Not to do a Flex 6000 or whatever but is there a way to replace the current mixer, direct conversion design with an (older, cheaper) direct sampling config?  And  leave most of the remainder of the design in place.  Be a chance to explore some new tech and Elecraft could still  keep most of the radio a true kit.

Mike     W5FTD

> No need to speculate. There is no such project underway at Elecraft.
>
> Direct RF-sampling receivers, for all their technology, still lag
> well behind the K3 in blocking dynamic range, and probably will
> continue to for years to come. We're quite happy with our superhet
> architecture. Also, any advancement we make to the K3 will be
> retrofittable to existing K3s, so your investment is safe.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR

Re: Wait For The K4 Direct RF Sampled SDR?

wb4jfi
I love my K3/P3/SVGA and my KX3 as well.  I do want to mention that the new
Flex 6000 series uses a 16-bit A/D, with over 245Ms/s sample clock, much
better than 100Ms/s.  Processing gain is real, and should help the 16-bit
range somewhat, but 16-bits is not really 16-bits in the real world.  Throw
away at least 1/2 bit, and maybe more.

It will be very interesting to see what a Flex 6000 series finally does in
various receive parameters, especially dynamic range.  They claim to handle
a very large dynamic range, even without the various RF filters.

I can't wait to see the Sherwood report on the 6000 series.
73, Terry, WB4JFI

I'm sort of curious about what Flex is doing with their new radio. The
heart of it has to be a very good A/D converter, but the best thing I'm
aware of is an Analog Devices 16 bit, 100 Msp/s one that ain't exactly
cheap. To approach the dynamic range in the KX3 and the K3, 16 bits may
be a might short.

I, too, believe that direct sampling and high dynamic range is still a
bit off particularly if you want to be able to afford one. I like the
magic of my KX3 when used with NaP3 and a 24 bit, ASIO compliant sound
card. As a practical matter, it serves for the 95% situations. those
last five will include a lightning storm over my house or someone like
W3LPL moving next door.

73,
Barry
K3NDM

On 3/13/2013 9:49 AM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> No need to speculate. There is no such project underway at Elecraft.
>
> Direct RF-sampling receivers, for all their technology, still lag well
> behind the K3 in blocking dynamic range, and probably will continue to for
> years to come. We're quite happy with our superhet architecture. Also, any
> advancement we make to the K3 will be retrofittable to existing K3s, so
> your investment is safe.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>

> On Mar 12, 2013, at 8:04 PM, Bob Schumacher wrote:
>
>> Given the advances in direct RF sampled SDRs (currently available QS1R,
>> soon to be released Flex-6000, etc.), Elecraft must be quietly working on
>> on an RF sampled K4 SDR. Maybe we will see an anouncement in May at
>> Dayton? I am wondering if I should take the leap with the Flex or wait
>> for Elecraft? I suspect that Elecraft will provide a higher value
>> solution. Any speculation on this point by Elecraft fans?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> W9DBR

Re: Wait For The K4 Direct RF Sampled SDR?

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

 > I can't wait to see the Sherwood report on the 6000 series.

Yes, it will be interesting.  I hope Rob can do some notched noise
power testing to see just how well the performance holds up with
real world receive power levels when the receiver is operated in
its multi-band mode (separate, simultaneous receiver "windows" in
multiple octaves).

On 3/14/2013 5:03 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> I love my K3/P3/SVGA and my KX3 as well.  I do want to mention that the
> new Flex 6000 series uses a 16-bit A/D, with over 245Ms/s sample clock,
> much better than 100Ms/s.  Processing gain is real, and should help the
> 16-bit range somewhat, but 16-bits is not really 16-bits in the real
> world.  Throw away at least 1/2 bit, and maybe more.
>
> It will be very interesting to see what a Flex 6000 series finally does
> in various receive parameters, especially dynamic range.  They claim to
> handle a very large dynamic range, even without the various RF filters.
>
> I can't wait to see the Sherwood report on the 6000 series.
> 73, Terry, WB4JFI
>

> -----Original Message----- From: Barry LaZar
> Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 10:13 AM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Wait For The K4 Direct RF Sampled SDR?
>
> I'm sort of curious about what Flex is doing with their new radio. The
> heart of it has to be a very good A/D converter, but the best thing I'm
> aware of is an Analog Devices 16 bit, 100 Msp/s one that ain't exactly
> cheap. To approach the dynamic range in the KX3 and the K3, 16 bits may
> be a might short.
>
> I, too, believe that direct sampling and high dynamic range is still a
> bit off particularly if you want to be able to afford one. I like the
> magic of my KX3 when used with NaP3 and a 24 bit, ASIO compliant sound
> card. As a practical matter, it serves for the 95% situations. those
> last five will include a lightning storm over my house or someone like
> W3LPL moving next door.
>
> 73,
> Barry
> K3NDM
>

> On 3/13/2013 9:49 AM, Wayne Burdick wrote:
>> No need to speculate. There is no such project underway at Elecraft.
>>
>> Direct RF-sampling receivers, for all their technology, still lag well
>> behind the K3 in blocking dynamic range, and probably will continue to
>> for years to come. We're quite happy with our superhet architecture.
>> Also, any advancement we make to the K3 will be retrofittable to
>> existing K3s, so your investment is safe.
>>
>> 73,
>> Wayne
>> N6KR
>>

>> On Mar 12, 2013, at 8:04 PM, Bob Schumacher wrote:
>>
>>> Given the advances in direct RF sampled SDRs (currently available
>>> QS1R, soon to be released Flex-6000, etc.), Elecraft must be quietly
>>> working on on an RF sampled K4 SDR. Maybe we will see an anouncement
>>> in May at Dayton? I am wondering if I should take the leap with the
>>> Flex or wait for Elecraft? I suspect that Elecraft will provide a
>>> higher value solution. Any speculation on this point by Elecraft fans?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> W9DBR

Re: Wait For The K4 Direct RF Sampled SDR?

Gary Gregory-2
If it ran on Linux i would  be confident but running in a Windows
environment is a concern for me.
The annual licence fee is also a concern for me.
I guess we wait and see.

Gary
Vk1ZZ
K3, KX3, KPA500, KAT500,P3.
On 15/03/2013 7:24 AM, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > I can't wait to see the Sherwood report on the 6000 series.
>
> Yes, it will be interesting.  I hope Rob can do some notched noise
> power testing to see just how well the performance holds up with
> real world receive power levels when the receiver is operated in
> its multi-band mode (separate, simultaneous receiver "windows" in
> multiple octaves).
>
> 73,
>
>    ... Joe, W4TV

>> I love my K3/P3/SVGA and my KX3 as well.  I do want to mention that the
>> new Flex 6000 series uses a 16-bit A/D, with over 245Ms/s sample clock,
>> much better than 100Ms/s.  Processing gain is real, and should help the
>> 16-bit range somewhat, but 16-bits is not really 16-bits in the real
>> world.  Throw away at least 1/2 bit, and maybe more.
>>
>> It will be very interesting to see what a Flex 6000 series finally does
>> in various receive parameters, especially dynamic range.  They claim to
>> handle a very large dynamic range, even without the various RF filters.
>>
>> I can't wait to see the Sherwood report on the 6000 series.
>> 73, Terry, WB4JFI
>>

>> -----Original Message----- From: Barry LaZar
>> Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 10:13 AM
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Wait For The K4 Direct RF Sampled SDR?
>>
>> I'm sort of curious about what Flex is doing with their new radio. The
>> heart of it has to be a very good A/D converter, but the best thing I'm
>> aware of is an Analog Devices 16 bit, 100 Msp/s one that ain't exactly
>> cheap. To approach the dynamic range in the KX3 and the K3, 16 bits may
>> be a might short.
>>
>> I, too, believe that direct sampling and high dynamic range is still a
>> bit off particularly if you want to be able to afford one. I like the
>> magic of my KX3 when used with NaP3 and a 24 bit, ASIO compliant sound
>> card. As a practical matter, it serves for the 95% situations. those
>> last five will include a lightning storm over my house or someone like
>> W3LPL moving next door.
>>
>> 73,
>> Barry
>> K3NDM
>>

>> On 3/13/2013 9:49 AM, Wayne Burdick wrote:
>>
>>> No need to speculate. There is no such project underway at Elecraft.
>>>
>>> Direct RF-sampling receivers, for all their technology, still lag well
>>> behind the K3 in blocking dynamic range, and probably will continue to
>>> for years to come. We're quite happy with our superhet architecture.
>>> Also, any advancement we make to the K3 will be retrofittable to
>>> existing K3s, so your investment is safe.
>>>
>>> 73,
>>> Wayne
>>> N6KR
>>>

>>> On Mar 12, 2013, at 8:04 PM, Bob Schumacher wrote:
>>>
>>>  Given the advances in direct RF sampled SDRs (currently available

>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email].**net <[hidden email]>

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email].**net <[hidden email]>

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email].**net <[hidden email]>

> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.**htm<http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm>
> Post: mailto:[hidden email].**net <[hidden email]>

Re: Wait For The K4 Direct RF Sampled SDR?

Barry K3NDM
I suspected that was the case. I'm a little out of being current, but S/N on some of the devices I remember were not that great as compared to the better sound cards. 16 bits, ideally should allow 96 db dynamic range. However, you are correct, you don't get the full 16 bits. The oversampling and processing does buy you improvement, but you still need to contend with the 16 bits of quantization and the need to put some amplification ahead of the A/D to improve SNR. That gain should negatively impact on dynamic range. I, too, am waiting to see what Sherwood has to say. It should be interesting.

I do know this. Operating FD last year with a K3 and a KX3 using QRP power and from the same RV. The only problem we had was my KX3 LO being picked up by the K3. I forgot to turn on the isolation amplifier. Other than that, there was no problem. In the chaos of Field Day, the filtering appeared to be superb.

73,
Barry
K3NDM

I'm sort of curious about what Flex is doing with their new radio. The
heart of it has to be a very good A/D converter, but the best thing I'm
aware of is an Analog Devices 16 bit, 100 Msp/s one that ain't exactly
cheap. To approach the dynamic range in the KX3 and the K3, 16 bits may
be a might short.

I, too, believe that direct sampling and high dynamic range is still a
bit off particularly if you want to be able to afford one. I like the
magic of my KX3 when used with NaP3 and a 24 bit, ASIO compliant sound
card. As a practical matter, it serves for the 95% situations. those
last five will include a lightning storm over my house or someone like
W3LPL moving next door.

73,
Barry
K3NDM

On 3/13/2013 9:49 AM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> No need to speculate. There is no such project underway at Elecraft.
>
> Direct RF-sampling receivers, for all their technology, still lag well
> behind the K3 in blocking dynamic range, and probably will continue to for
> years to come. We're quite happy with our superhet architecture. Also, any
> advancement we make to the K3 will be retrofittable to existing K3s, so
> your investment is safe.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>

> On Mar 12, 2013, at 8:04 PM, Bob Schumacher wrote:
>
>> Given the advances in direct RF sampled SDRs (currently available QS1R,
>> soon to be released Flex-6000, etc.), Elecraft must be quietly working on
>> on an RF sampled K4 SDR. Maybe we will see an anouncement in May at
>> Dayton? I am wondering if I should take the leap with the Flex or wait
>> for Elecraft? I suspect that Elecraft will provide a higher value
>> solution. Any speculation on this point by Elecraft fans?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> W9DBR

Re: Wait For The K4 Direct RF Sampled SDR?

ve3dvy
Glad to hear it Wayne

I cant say that there is much more I want in a radio that the K3 or the
K line can't offer now.   Mind you if there are some cool toys coming
for the K3... well new toys are always fun!

David Moes

[hidden email]
VE3DVY

On 3/13/2013 9:49 AM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> No need to speculate. There is no such project underway at Elecraft.
>
> Direct RF-sampling receivers, for all their technology, still lag well
> behind the K3 in blocking dynamic range, and probably will continue to
> for years to come. We're quite happy with our superhet architecture.
> Also, any advancement we make to the K3 will be retrofittable to
> existing K3s, so your investment is safe.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>

> On Mar 12, 2013, at 8:04 PM, Bob Schumacher wrote:
>
>> Given the advances in direct RF sampled SDRs (currently available
>> QS1R, soon to be released Flex-6000, etc.), Elecraft must be quietly
>> working on on an RF sampled K4 SDR. Maybe we will see an anouncement
>> in May at Dayton? I am wondering if I should take the leap with the
>> Flex or wait for Elecraft? I suspect that Elecraft will provide a
>> higher value solution. Any speculation on this point by Elecraft fans?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> W9DBR

Re: Wait For The K4 Direct RF Sampled SDR?

glen@worstell.com
If you are waiting to see what the Flex 6000 is like you might take a
look at the Apache-Labs ANAN-10 or ANAN-100d. The advantages:
- software is free forever.
- different versions of software are available for both windows and linux.
- source code and hardware schematics are available.
- it is actually available.

My in-the-shack evaluation (without test equipment) is:
- KX3 and ANAN-10 receive performance is equal (excellent).
- both are better than my Kenwood TS-480 (no surprise).
- panadapter on ANAN-10 is quite a bit better than NaP3, but NaP3 is
good enough for my operating style.
- ANAN-10 requires a computer (only required for KX3 NaP3 panadapter).
- KX3 is the 'only' choice for backpacking or portable.
- ANAN-10 will receive on two or more different bands at the same time.
If this is important I'd choose either the ANAN or a loaded K3.

If I had to choose for a home station I'd pick (barely) the KX3.

Of course for quite a bit more $ my first choice would be a loaded  K3
and large screen panadapter.

g.

Re: Wait For The K4 Direct RF Sampled SDR?

Rick Stealey

Speaking of competitive rigs, I see QST just reviewed the FT3000.  The number that caught
my eye (well actually the chart) was composit noise.  A whopping -120 dbc at 10 KHz
and beyond !  Yikes.  The K3 was -140 dbc at 10 KHz abd -155 at 100 KHz.
You sure don't want one of those noise generators at your next Field Day.
If someone shows up with one, put him on 10 meters at the far end of
the field.

Re: Wait For The K4 Direct RF Sampled SDR?

wayne burdick
Rick Stealey wrote:

> Speaking of competitive rigs, I see QST just reviewed the FT3000.
> The number that caught
> my eye (well actually the chart) was composit noise.  A whopping
> -120 dbc at 10 KHz
> and beyond !  Yikes.  The K3 was -140 dbc at 10 KHz and -155 at 100
> KHz.

Just to clarify for those who aren't used to hearing these numbers,
-140 dBc phase noise is significantly better than -120 dBc. It could
mean the difference between having two transceivers coexist or not
when in close proximity -- hence Rick's example of Field Day.

> You sure don't want one of those noise generators at your next Field
> Day.
> If someone shows up with one, put him on 10 meters at the far end of
> the field.

Re: Wait For The K4 Direct RF Sampled SDR?

Vic Rosenthal K2VCO
CW looked a little clicky, too.

On 3/15/2013 6:01 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> Rick Stealey wrote:
>
>> Speaking of competitive rigs, I see QST just reviewed the FT3000.  The number that caught
>> my eye (well actually the chart) was composit noise.  A whopping -120 dbc at 10 KHz
>> and beyond !  Yikes.  The K3 was -140 dbc at 10 KHz and -155 at 100 KHz.
>
> Just to clarify for those who aren't used to hearing these numbers, -140 dBc phase noise
> is significantly better than -120 dBc. It could mean the difference between having two
> transceivers coexist or not when in close proximity -- hence Rick's example of Field Day.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>

>> You sure don't want one of those noise generators at your next Field Day.
>> If someone shows up with one, put him on 10 meters at the far end of
>> the field.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/

Re: Wait For The K4 Direct RF Sampled SDR?

David Gilbert

The transmit IMD specs are pretty poor as well ... and the interesting
thing is that neither deficiency was even discussed in the narrative
portion of the review.

73,
Dave  AB7E

On 3/15/2013 5:30 PM, Rick Stealey wrote:

> Speaking of competitive rigs, I see QST just reviewed the FT3000.  The number that caught
> my eye (well actually the chart) was composit noise.  A whopping -120 dbc at 10 KHz
> and beyond !  Yikes.  The K3 was -140 dbc at 10 KHz abd -155 at 100 KHz.
> You sure don't want one of those noise generators at your next Field Day.
> If someone shows up with one, put him on 10 meters at the far end of
> the field.

Re: Wait For The K4 Direct RF Sampled SDR?

N0AZZ
Yes this is sad being that the 3000 was supposed to have the same receiver
as the 5000 and it did not in fact nowhere near it.

I'm of that yahoo group as well as the 5000 and finally after seeing the QST
numbers they told the story of what I had been hearing. But they all were
saying was how great they were, then I showed them a comparison between base
model K3/100 no options and the 3000 at $500 more and less radio. All they
can say in reply usually is they wanted a big radio without a lot of menu's
well I hate to tell them but the 3000 has a bunch also.

73,Fred/N0AZZ

K3 Ser #'s 6730/5299--KX3 # 2573--K2/100--KAT/100
P3/SVGA--KPA500--KAT500--W2

> Speaking of competitive rigs, I see QST just reviewed the FT3000.
> The number that caught
> my eye (well actually the chart) was composit noise.  A whopping
> -120 dbc at 10 KHz
> and beyond !  Yikes.  The K3 was -140 dbc at 10 KHz and -155 at 100
> KHz.

Just to clarify for those who aren't used to hearing these numbers,
-140 dBc phase noise is significantly better than -120 dBc. It could mean
the difference between having two transceivers coexist or not when in close
proximity -- hence Rick's example of Field Day.

> You sure don't want one of those noise generators at your next Field
> Day.
> If someone shows up with one, put him on 10 meters at the far end of
> the field.

-----
No virus found in this message.

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: Wait For The K4 Direct RF Sampled SDR?

alsopb
Did you notice the reported 6M sensitivity number?
1.25 microvolt compared to 0.16 microvolt on 1.8-30MHz.
This may be a misprint as the MDS values are close to the same.

73 de Brian/K3KO