Was there a 1500w amp from Elecraft in our past?

Was there a 1500w amp from Elecraft in our past?

Edward A. Dauer
Go to Google Images, enter KPA1500, see numerous images of both.  Nice looking equipment.  I wonder what happened?

Ted, KN1CBR

------------------------------

Message: 30
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2016 15:48:10 -0400
From: Scott Manthe <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Is there a 1500w amp from Elecraft in our
        future??

Yes, from 2006. Two versions of the amp were on display at Dayton, the
KPA800 and KPA1500. Both were working prototypes and both were putting
out power, the KPA1500 at 1800+ watts continuously into a dummy load, if
I recall properly. Both were things of beauty and planted the Elecraft
seed in my brain that eventually resulted in my having a complete
K-line, minus the KAT500.

73,
Scott N9AA

On 7/29/16 10:33 PM, Ken Arck wrote:

> From 2006? Really?
>

> At 07:28 PM 7/29/2016, [hidden email] wrote:
>> Here are those pics:
>> http://www.n6ie.com/Elecraft.html
>>
>> I'm thinking it's the next logical major item for Elecraft to offer.
>>
>> John AE5X
>> http://ae5x.blogspot.com/
>
> President and CTO - Arcom Communications
> Makers of repeater controllers and accessories.
> http://www.arcomcontrollers.com/
> Authorized Dealers for Kenwood and Telewave and
> we offer complete repeater packages!
> AH6LE/R - IRLP Node 3000
> http://www.irlp.net
> "We don't just make 'em. We use 'em!"

You must be a subscriber to post.

Re: Was there a 1500w amp from Elecraft in our past?

Phil Wheeler-2
Sanity prevailed?:-)

Phil W7OX

On 7/30/16 5:53 PM, Dauer, Edward wrote:

> Go to Google Images, enter KPA1500, see numerous images of both.  Nice looking equipment.  I wonder what happened?
>
> Ted, KN1CBR
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 30
> Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2016 15:48:10 -0400
> From: Scott Manthe <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Is there a 1500w amp from Elecraft in our
> future??
>
> Yes, from 2006. Two versions of the amp were on display at Dayton, the
> KPA800 and KPA1500. Both were working prototypes and both were putting
> out power, the KPA1500 at 1800+ watts continuously into a dummy load, if
> I recall properly. Both were things of beauty and planted the Elecraft
> seed in my brain that eventually resulted in my having a complete
> K-line, minus the KAT500.
>
> 73,
> Scott N9AA

Re: Was there a 1500w amp from Elecraft in our past?

Jim AB3CV
IMO the 1K5 amp market is a bit of a mess. I own a KPA500 and continue to
consider purchasing a legal limit amp. I'm not impressed by the offerings.

Most of amps that I've seen seem to be offered by unstable suppliers with
unstable supply chains. I'm not eager to plop down serious cash for
something that is likely to be an orphan before the warrantee is up. Plus
some of the "legal limit" offerings are pretty dirty when run full out.

I'd like the feature set of the KPA500 and legal limit and from a supplier
that has some legs. I'd like an Elecraft legal limit amp.

jim ab3cv

On Sat, Jul 30, 2016 at 8:59 PM, Phil Wheeler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sanity prevailed?:-)
>
> Phil W7OX
>
> On 7/30/16 5:53 PM, Dauer, Edward wrote:
>
>> Go to Google Images, enter KPA1500, see numerous images of both.  Nice
>> looking equipment.  I wonder what happened?
>>
>> Ted, KN1CBR
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 30
>> Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2016 15:48:10 -0400
>> From: Scott Manthe <[hidden email]>
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Is there a 1500w amp from Elecraft in our
>>         future??
>>
>> Yes, from 2006. Two versions of the amp were on display at Dayton, the
>> KPA800 and KPA1500. Both were working prototypes and both were putting
>> out power, the KPA1500 at 1800+ watts continuously into a dummy load, if
>> I recall properly. Both were things of beauty and planted the Elecraft
>> seed in my brain that eventually resulted in my having a complete
>> K-line, minus the KAT500.
>>
>> 73,
>> Scott N9AA

Re: Was there a 1500w amp from Elecraft in our past?

Jim Brown-10
On Sat,7/30/2016 6:12 PM, Jim Miller wrote:
> IMO the 1K5 amp market is a bit of a mess.

I'm pretty happy with my three Ten Tec Titans, first built in the early
80s. Designed by K4XU. All bought used for a combined cost of less than
$4,000. Two are in my SO2R setup, the third is a spare (T/R relays fail,
not a good thing in the middle of a contest). I did some repairs to two
of the three right after I bought them, total cost about $250. Not
automatic anything, but they WORK, and they're clean. And I've been
using them for 11 years now.

Re: Was there a 1500w amp from Elecraft in our past?

Pete Smith N4ZR
I recall seeing that amp at Dayton one year, and knew at least one
person who had one for field testing.  Looks like a business decision to
me - plus that was a long time ago, and the state of the solid-state amp
art was a good deal less well along.  Presumably modern parts would
dictate a complete internal redesign, which might make it prohibitive
relative to the demand.

73, Pete N4ZR
Download the new N1MM Logger+ at
<http://N1MM.hamdocs.com>. Check
out the Reverse Beacon Network at
<http://reversebeacon.net>, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.

On 7/30/2016 8:59 PM, Phil Wheeler wrote:

> Sanity prevailed?:-)
>
> Phil W7OX
>
> On 7/30/16 5:53 PM, Dauer, Edward wrote:
>> Go to Google Images, enter KPA1500, see numerous images of both.
>> Nice looking equipment.  I wonder what happened?
>>
>> Ted, KN1CBR
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 30
>> Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2016 15:48:10 -0400
>> From: Scott Manthe <[hidden email]>
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Is there a 1500w amp from Elecraft in our
>>     future??
>>
>> Yes, from 2006. Two versions of the amp were on display at Dayton, the
>> KPA800 and KPA1500. Both were working prototypes and both were putting
>> out power, the KPA1500 at 1800+ watts continuously into a dummy load, if
>> I recall properly. Both were things of beauty and planted the Elecraft
>> seed in my brain that eventually resulted in my having a complete
>> K-line, minus the KAT500.
>>
>> 73,
>> Scott N9AA

Re: Was there a 1500w amp from Elecraft in our past?

Brendon Whateley
I believe they built a couple of prototypes to evaluate the feasibility of
making such a product. In the end, it was decided that it would not be an
economically viable addition to the product lineup and was shelved.

No conspiracy. Nothing sinister. But sadly for those who might want to buy
such a beast, nothing in sight along those lines.

- Brendon
KK6AYI

On Sat, Jul 30, 2016 at 5:53 PM, Dauer, Edward <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Go to Google Images, enter KPA1500, see numerous images of both.  Nice
> looking equipment.  I wonder what happened?
>
> Ted, KN1CBR
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 30
> Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2016 15:48:10 -0400
> From: Scott Manthe <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Is there a 1500w amp from Elecraft in our
>         future??
>
> Yes, from 2006. Two versions of the amp were on display at Dayton, the
> KPA800 and KPA1500. Both were working prototypes and both were putting
> out power, the KPA1500 at 1800+ watts continuously into a dummy load, if
> I recall properly. Both were things of beauty and planted the Elecraft
> seed in my brain that eventually resulted in my having a complete
> K-line, minus the KAT500.
>
> 73,
> Scott N9AA
>

> On 7/29/16 10:33 PM, Ken Arck wrote:
> > From 2006? Really?
> >

> > At 07:28 PM 7/29/2016, [hidden email] wrote:
> >> Here are those pics:
> >> http://www.n6ie.com/Elecraft.html
> >>
> >> I'm thinking it's the next logical major item for Elecraft to offer.
> >>
> >> John AE5X
> >> http://ae5x.blogspot.com/

> > President and CTO - Arcom Communications
> > Makers of repeater controllers and accessories.
> > http://www.arcomcontrollers.com/
> > Authorized Dealers for Kenwood and Telewave and
> > we offer complete repeater packages!
> > AH6LE/R - IRLP Node 3000
> > http://www.irlp.net
> > "We don't just make 'em. We use 'em!"

> > Message delivered to [hidden email]

> You must be a subscriber to post.

Was there a 1500w amp from Elecraft in our past?

Edward A. Dauer

If one were to construct a demand curve (or surface) with three axes – predicting units sold as a function of price and RF power – I would bet there would be a significant discontinuity at about 600 – 700 watts.  Below that, an amp can run from ordinary home 117 VAC without a dedicated line, as I now run my KPA500.  Above that it begins to become dicey to do so; and at some point below 1.5 KW it requires 220 VAC to the desktop.  That means that even if the selling price of the amp were smoothly continuous with the power output, the total cost to many buyers would not be.  It would require some buyers’ investing in additional wiring to the shack, as mine would.  So I would expect the demand curve to have a so-called downward knee somewhere above 500 watts but lower than 1.5 KW, which could change the production investment analysis significantly.  Among other factors, that might have helped make the KPA500 a financially optimal choice.

Just my guess.

Ted, KN1CBR

Edward A. Dauer
Dean Emeritus and Professor Emeritus of Law
University of Denver

Re: Was there a 1500w amp from Elecraft in our past?

Wes Stewart-2
Good points.  I retired a Drake L-4B that gave me terrific service for years,
but was big, heavy, noisy, didn't cover 160 or 6 meters in favor of the KPA500.

I did have a dedicated 240V service that was totally safe, but technically not
to code because the conduit wasn't buried deep enough.  So I yanked it out,
saving my survivors the trouble.  I gained desk space and lowered the heat load
in my shack, which is in a big closet that is without A/C.

Wes  N7WS
www.qrz.com/db/n7ws