Weird K3 SSB problems

alsopb
I was using the K3 today.  The VOX kept cycling to transmit and back
with no voice input.

Sounded like an easy problem to fix.  Just touch up the antivox.

Nope.

Listening in the monitor, there is a rushing sound with clicking (like
fans in the background or something with a superimposed woodpecker).
Clearly that spurious noise is what was tripping the vox off/on.

Next removing the mike plug, the rushing sound was still there.

With no mike input where is it coming from?  Unlikely to be RFI since it
is there at 1 watt.

Setting the mike gain to zero and compression doesn't fix it.
Compression level does substantial increase or decrease it.

Any suggestions?

73 de Brian/K3KO

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: Weird K3 SSB problems

Mike Reublin
Any sound card input?

73, Mike NF4L

On Dec 25, 2013, at 12:28 PM, Brian Alsop <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was using the K3 today.  The VOX kept cycling to transmit and back with no voice input.
>
> Sounded like an easy problem to fix.  Just touch up the antivox.
>
> Nope.
>
> Listening in the monitor, there is a rushing sound with clicking (like fans in the background or something with a superimposed woodpecker).
> Clearly that spurious noise is what was tripping the vox off/on.
>
> Next removing the mike plug, the rushing sound was still there.
>
> With no mike input where is it coming from?  Unlikely to be RFI since it is there at 1 watt.
>
> Setting the mike gain to zero and compression doesn't fix it. Compression level does substantial increase or decrease it.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> 73 de Brian/K3KO
>

> -----
> No virus found in this message.

Re: Weird K3 SSB problems

John Lemay
Have you got anything connected to the line in socket ?

John G4ZTR

Weird K3 SSB problems fixed

alsopb
Thanks to tips from several people of the list this problem was solved.

It turns out that a scope showed there was a 300 mv audio signal on line
in.

Line in was not selected and I don't understand how it got to the mic
input. Bleed through?  I normally use line in for PSK in the data A mode.

Never the less, I had shot myself if the foot.  The SDR RX/Rocky
connected to the K3 normally has its audio sent to a sound card with no
speaker/earphones connected.  Today I listened to it a bit on a
different sound card.  Resetting the sound card choice, I'd sent it to
the SC used for PSK transmit tones.

73 de Brian/K3KO

On 12/25/2013 17:28, Brian Alsop wrote:

> I was using the K3 today.  The VOX kept cycling to transmit and back
> with no voice input.
>
> Sounded like an easy problem to fix.  Just touch up the antivox.
>
> Nope.
>
> Listening in the monitor, there is a rushing sound with clicking (like
> fans in the background or something with a superimposed woodpecker).
> Clearly that spurious noise is what was tripping the vox off/on.
>
> Next removing the mike plug, the rushing sound was still there.
>
> With no mike input where is it coming from?  Unlikely to be RFI since it
> is there at 1 watt.
>
> Setting the mike gain to zero and compression doesn't fix it.
> Compression level does substantial increase or decrease it.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> 73 de Brian/K3KO
>

> -----
> No virus found in this message.

> -----
> No virus found in this message.

-----
No virus found in this message.

Fwd: Weird K3 SSB problems fixed

alsopb
Please ignore this.  I found a 300 mv SDR audio signal on line in.

I don't understand how it got into the mic input-- it's only selected
that way for DATA A.  I thought the mike/line in inputs were isolated
from one another.

Guess not.  Removing the line-in signal solved the problem.

73 de Brian/K3KO

Thanks to tips from several people of the list this problem was solved.

It turns out that a scope showed there was a 300 mv audio signal on line
in.

Line in was not selected and I don't understand how it got to the mic
input. Bleed through?  I normally use line in for PSK in the data A mode.

Never the less, I had shot myself if the foot.  The SDR RX/Rocky
connected to the K3 normally has its audio sent to a sound card with no
speaker/earphones connected.  Today I listened to it a bit on a
different sound card.  Resetting the sound card choice, I'd sent it to
the SC used for PSK transmit tones.

73 de Brian/K3KO

On 12/25/2013 17:28, Brian Alsop wrote:

> I was using the K3 today.  The VOX kept cycling to transmit and back
> with no voice input.
>
> Sounded like an easy problem to fix.  Just touch up the antivox.
>
> Nope.
>
> Listening in the monitor, there is a rushing sound with clicking (like
> fans in the background or something with a superimposed woodpecker).
> Clearly that spurious noise is what was tripping the vox off/on.
>
> Next removing the mike plug, the rushing sound was still there.
>
> With no mike input where is it coming from?  Unlikely to be RFI since it
> is there at 1 watt.
>
> Setting the mike gain to zero and compression doesn't fix it.
> Compression level does substantial increase or decrease it.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> 73 de Brian/K3KO
>

> -----
> No virus found in this message.

> -----
> No virus found in this message.

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: Fwd: Weird K3 SSB problems fixed

Don Wilhelm-4
Brian,

Check in SSB mode to see if MIC + LINE has been inadvertently turned on.