Which hand-held PTT switch?

Peter Pauly
Which handheld PTT switch do you like and where did you get it? Did it
already have a RCA connector on it or did you have to rig one yourself?

I'm in the middle of the CQ WW contest and finding I could really use this.

Thanks

W0VLL

Re: Which hand-held PTT switch?

Ian Kahn, KM4IK
Not a direct answer to your question, but I use a foot pedal with a
headset/boom mic combination. That way, my hands are completely free for
logging and making station adjustments.

73 de,

Ian, KM4IK
On Oct 24, 2015 11:32 AM, "Peter Pauly" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Which handheld PTT switch do you like and where did you get it? Did it
> already have a RCA connector on it or did you have to rig one yourself?
>
> I'm in the middle of the CQ WW contest and finding I could really use this.
>
> Thanks
>
> W0VLL

Re: Which hand-held PTT switch?

N7US
I always use VOX, directional microphones, and headphones.  I can't imagine
depressing a footswitch every time I transmit.  I wouldn't want to tie up
one hand for a PTT switch in a contest either.

73, Jim N7US

Not a direct answer to your question, but I use a foot pedal with a
headset/boom mic combination. That way, my hands are completely free for
logging and making station adjustments.

73 de,

Ian, KM4IK
On Oct 24, 2015 11:32 AM, "Peter Pauly" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Which handheld PTT switch do you like and where did you get it? Did it
> already have a RCA connector on it or did you have to rig one yourself?
>
> I'm in the middle of the CQ WW contest and finding I could really use
this.

> Thanks
>
> W0VLL

Re: Which hand-held PTT switch?

Bob McGraw - K4TAX
Although I made my own applications, Bob Heil has a nice foot switch
that works as a "stomp to talk" switch.  Also Granger has an assortment
of foot switches although the may a bit over kill for the application.

For my station, I made a pigtail using some small coax like RG-177 or
174, {can't recall which} with a momentary switch attached and it is
then connected to the terminals inside the MIC connector.  This pigtail
just lays around on the desk and is easy to use.    Since I use a boom
mounted mike, this works and is convenient.    Then I made my own foot
switch using an old "stomp box" case obtained from a local music store.
Since it had two holes,  I have two switches on the "stomp box".  One
switch is momentary and one switch is latching thus "stomp to talk,
stomp to listen".

73
Bob, K4TAX

On 10/24/2015 10:30 AM, Peter Pauly wrote:
> Which handheld PTT switch do you like and where did you get it? Did it
> already have a RCA connector on it or did you have to rig one yourself?
>
> I'm in the middle of the CQ WW contest and finding I could really use this.
>
> Thanks
>
> W0VLL

Re: Which hand-held PTT switch?

George Winship, NC5G
Peter,

I am assuming that you are using a K3. On my K2 I use a headset. I have a hand key and a set of paddles hooked to the K2. On SSB I merely depress the hand key or the dot paddle to key the transmitter. Don't know if this works on the K3.

73, George NC5G

<quote author="Peter Pauly">
Which handheld PTT switch do you like and where did you get it? Did it
already have a RCA connector on it or did you have to rig one yourself?

I'm in the middle of the CQ WW contest and finding I could really use this.

Thanks

W0VLL

Re: Which hand-held PTT switch?

Ron Wetjen
http://www.pttpro.com/switches.htm

Picked one up for Field Day.  Some folks didn't like using a foot
switch, and too much noise QRM for VOX.

Looks like the price went up a bit since I ordered mine.

Ron, WD4AHZ

Re: Which hand-held PTT switch?

Jim Vohland
Don't use myself but another plus for the heil footset is the two position micro switch which allows keying two equipments. First would key the amp and then with slight delay, keys the transceiver. Lot of people like that feature. I like vox.

> To: [hidden email]
> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 12:07:27 -0400
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Which hand-held PTT switch?
>
> http://www.pttpro.com/switches.htm
>
> Picked one up for Field Day.  Some folks didn't like using a foot
> switch, and too much noise QRM for VOX.
>
> Looks like the price went up a bit since I ordered mine.
>
> Ron, WD4AHZ

Re: Which hand-held PTT switch?

Kevin Stover
I have the Heil Proset K2 and when contesting I use VOX
I did spend the cash and got the Heil trigger switch that plugs in the
PTT port of the adapter set.

--
R. Kevin Stover
AC0H

Re: Which hand-held PTT switch? OT

David Cutter
Sorry for the thread drift, but, has there ever been an investigation into
response time of hitting the PTT and beginning to speak?  Occasionally I
hear the first syllable being lost and I've wondered if this is due to time
delays in the equipment or the user, or both.  Brings back memories of
bucket-brigade delay-lines.

73
David
G3UNA

Re: Dropped First Syllable

k6dgw
The original meaning of the acronym PTT was "Push, Then Talk."
Somewhere in history, the comma was dropped and "Then" became "To.":-)

I had a colleague [retired Col] who essentially never mastered "Point
and Click" regardless of how many times I explained, "First point to the
'thing', then click."  He consistently would click, then move the mouse.
  Same kind of problem.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2016
- www.cqp.org

On 10/24/2015 11:52 AM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:
> I have seen that with both PTT and VOX in Ham and commercial operations. The
> VOX issue is well known. In PTT some operators develop the habit of starting
> to speak before fully depressing the PTT switch. I've watched operators do
> that repeatedly without realizing it even after they were aware that they
> tended to do that.
>
> 73, Ron AC7AC

Re: Dropped First Syllable

Grant Youngman
:-D

> I had a colleague [retired Col] who essentially never mastered "Point and Click" regardless of how many times I explained, "First point to the 'thing', then click."  He consistently would click, then move the mouse.  Same kind of problem.

Re: Which hand-held PTT switch? OT

Phil Kane-2
On 10/24/2015 10:36 AM, David Cutter wrote:

> Sorry for the thread drift, but, has there ever been an investigation
> into response time of hitting the PTT and beginning to speak?
> Occasionally I hear the first syllable being lost and I've wondered if
> this is due to time delays in the equipment or the user, or both.
> Brings back memories of bucket-brigade delay-lines.

I teach beginners to push the switch, take a breath, and then start
talking.  Works for VOX with some experience.

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
Elecraft K2/100   s/n 5402

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest
Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

Re: Which hand-held PTT switch? OT

Bill Frantz
It's a good habit for FM repeater use as well. Give the repeater
some unmodulated RF to switch itself on.

73 Bill AE6JV

On 10/24/15 at 6:51 PM, [hidden email] (Phil Kane) wrote:

>I teach beginners to push the switch, take a breath, and then start
>talking.  Works for VOX with some experience.

Re: Which hand-held PTT switch?

w7aqk
Seems like you got a lot of recommendations for a foot switch, but not too
many for a hand-held switch.  The one from Ron, WD4AHZ, looks nice, but the
price seems pretty stiff!  Seems to me something like that should only cost
$10-$15 at the most, but I'm probably still "living" in the 20th century!

Anyway, I don't have one, but I wish I did.  However, I use my CM500 headset
plugged into the back, and the Elecraft microphone (MH2) is plugged into the
front.  So, when I just want to use PTT, I simply hold down the Elecraft
microphone's PTT switch, but actually use the CM500 as my
microphone/headphone.

It seems to me that it would be pretty darned easy to just make one, and it
shouldn't cost much either.  For that matter, I could also take one of the
many old smaller HT microphones with PTT switches I've collected over the
years and simply change the plug.  The problem with that is that you have to
hold it on, and you might prefer a "click on-click off" switch.

The last time this thread went around I picked up a foot switch that
somebody recommended, but I haven't ever really used it.  I'm not one to
always have my feet in one place anyway!!!  Then again, I'm on SSB so rarely
that I just can't get motivated to do anything really creative!  Hi.

Dave W7AQK

Re: Which hand-held PTT switch?

Peter Pauly
Thanks to everyone that responded. I decided to make my own from these
parts at Mouser:

http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=0virtualkey0virtualkey172-1112
http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=0virtualkey0virtualkeyED913

Total cost was less than $20 plus shipping.

On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 8:03 PM, w7aqk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Seems like you got a lot of recommendations for a foot switch, but not too
> many for a hand-held switch.  The one from Ron, WD4AHZ, looks nice, but the
> price seems pretty stiff!  Seems to me something like that should only cost
> $10-$15 at the most, but I'm probably still "living" in the 20th century!
>
> Anyway, I don't have one, but I wish I did.  However, I use my CM500
> headset plugged into the back, and the Elecraft microphone (MH2) is plugged
> into the front.  So, when I just want to use PTT, I simply hold down the
> Elecraft microphone's PTT switch, but actually use the CM500 as my
> microphone/headphone.
>
> It seems to me that it would be pretty darned easy to just make one, and
> it shouldn't cost much either.  For that matter, I could also take one of
> the many old smaller HT microphones with PTT switches I've collected over
> the years and simply change the plug.  The problem with that is that you
> have to hold it on, and you might prefer a "click on-click off" switch.
>
> The last time this thread went around I picked up a foot switch that
> somebody recommended, but I haven't ever really used it.  I'm not one to
> always have my feet in one place anyway!!!  Then again, I'm on SSB so
> rarely that I just can't get motivated to do anything really creative!  Hi.
>
> Dave W7AQK

Re: Which hand-held PTT switch? OT

ab2tc

That is routinely tested by ARRL. From the K3/100 review in January 2009 QST:

Receive-transmit turnaround time (tx delay): SSB, 12 ms; FM, 9 ms. Unit is
Not specified. suitable for use on AMTOR.

So it's probably the user.

AB2TC - Knut

David Cutter wrote