Wide CW Signals

N5GE
Is there something wrong with my P3, or are all of those extremely
wide raged CW signals I see in the DX pile-ups really that bad?
ARS N5GE

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: Wide CW Signals

Bob McGraw - K4TAX
Depending on the radio they are using, some are really nasty!

And with some that seem to run their radio in QSK mode, but without a
QSK qualified amp, that makes things worse as they are likely arcing and
sparking the relays.  Nothing like a good old spark gap transmitter to
eat up lots of bandwidth.

73
Bob, K4TAX

On 1/14/2016 10:48 AM, Amateur Radio Operator N5GE wrote:

> Is there something wrong with my P3, or are all of those extremely
> wide raged CW signals I see in the DX pile-ups really that bad?
> ARS N5GE

Re: Wide CW Signals

Victor Rosenthal 4X6GP
My guess is that they are that bad.
Luckily, the ones that are hot-switching their relays won't be on the
air for too long. At least, not with high power.

73,
Vic, 4X6GP/K2VCO
Rehovot, Israel
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/

On 14 Jan 2016 18:56, Bob McGraw K4TAX wrote:

> Depending on the radio they are using, some are really nasty!
>
> And with some that seem to run their radio in QSK mode, but without a
> QSK qualified amp, that makes things worse as they are likely arcing and
> sparking the relays.  Nothing like a good old spark gap transmitter to
> eat up lots of bandwidth.
>
> 73
> Bob, K4TAX
>

> On 1/14/2016 10:48 AM, Amateur Radio Operator N5GE wrote:
>> Is there something wrong with my P3, or are all of those extremely
>> wide raged CW signals I see in the DX pile-ups really that bad?
>> ARS N5GE

Re: Wide CW Signals

N5GE
Below...

On Thu, 14 Jan 2016 10:56:05 -0600, you wrote:

>Depending on the radio they are using, some are really nasty!
>

>And with some that seem to run their radio in QSK mode, but without a
>QSK qualified amp, that makes things worse as they are likely arcing and
>sparking the relays.  Nothing like a good old spark gap transmitter to
>eat up lots of bandwidth.

Yes, I watched one yesterday in a pile-up and I could could hear the
sparking.  The signal was about a kHz or more wide.

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: Wide CW Signals

Rick WA6NHC-2
I've noticed that it is directly proportional to the signal strength,
but some ARE that wide (one brand in particular is more offensive).

Rick nhc

On 1/14/2016 9:24 AM, Vic Rosenthal 4X6GP/K2VCO wrote:

> My guess is that they are that bad.
> Luckily, the ones that are hot-switching their relays won't be on the
> air for too long. At least, not with high power.
>
> 73,
> Vic, 4X6GP/K2VCO
> Rehovot, Israel
> http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/
>
> On 14 Jan 2016 18:56, Bob McGraw K4TAX wrote:
>> Depending on the radio they are using, some are really nasty!
>>
>> And with some that seem to run their radio in QSK mode, but without a
>> QSK qualified amp, that makes things worse as they are likely arcing and
>> sparking the relays.  Nothing like a good old spark gap transmitter to
>> eat up lots of bandwidth.
>>
>> 73
>> Bob, K4TAX
>>

>> On 1/14/2016 10:48 AM, Amateur Radio Operator N5GE wrote:
>>> Is there something wrong with my P3, or are all of those extremely
>>> wide raged CW signals I see in the DX pile-ups really that bad?
>>> ARS N5GE

>>> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Wide CW Signals

K9MA
The old FT-1000D is notorious.  (I have one.)  I'm not sure about the
MP.  There's a mod, which helps, but it's still wide.  It's a big reason
I bought a K3.

--
Scott Ellington  K9MA
Madison, Wisconsin, USA

On 1/14/2016 11:26, Rick WA6NHC wrote:

> I've noticed that it is directly proportional to the signal strength,
> but some ARE that wide (one brand in particular is more offensive).
>
> Rick nhc
>

> On 1/14/2016 9:24 AM, Vic Rosenthal 4X6GP/K2VCO wrote:
>> My guess is that they are that bad.
>> Luckily, the ones that are hot-switching their relays won't be on the
>> air for too long. At least, not with high power.
>>
>> 73,
>> Vic, 4X6GP/K2VCO
>> Rehovot, Israel
>> http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/
>>
>> On 14 Jan 2016 18:56, Bob McGraw K4TAX wrote:
>>> Depending on the radio they are using, some are really nasty!
>>>
>>> And with some that seem to run their radio in QSK mode, but without a
>>> QSK qualified amp, that makes things worse as they are likely arcing
>>> and
>>> sparking the relays.  Nothing like a good old spark gap transmitter to
>>> eat up lots of bandwidth.
>>>
>>> 73
>>> Bob, K4TAX

Re: Wide CW Signals

I think your P3 is OK.  I believe they are, for the most part, really
wide.  Since I've been operating remote to W7RN with a very high
coefficient of airborne aluminum, I've discovered that the better the
antenna, the high the Key-Click volume on the band.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2016
- www.cqp.org

On 1/14/2016 8:48 AM, Amateur Radio Operator N5GE wrote:

> Is there something wrong with my P3, or are all of those extremely
> wide raged CW signals I see in the DX pile-ups really that bad?
> ARS N5GE

> -----
> No virus found in this message.

Re: Wide CW Signals

Hisashi T Fujinaka
I think that can generate x-ray bursts as well.

--
Hisashi T Fujinaka - [hidden email]
BSEE + BSChem + BAEnglish + MSCS + $2.50 = coffee

Re: Wide CW Signals

Wes (N7WS)
They're rotten. Nothing new tho.

http://www.arrl.org/news/the-old-man-rotten-damped-spark-stuff

On Jan 14, 2016, at 9:48 AM, Amateur Radio Operator N5GE <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there something wrong with my P3, or are all of those extremely
> wide raged CW signals I see in the DX pile-ups really that bad?
> ARS N5GE

Re: Wide CW Signals

On Thu,1/14/2016 10:17 AM, Fred Jensen wrote:
> I think your P3 is OK.  I believe they are, for the most part, really
> wide.

Yes and no. We must learn to understand the P3 display. It reads the
voltage at the antenna input vs frequency. A stronger signal produces
more voltage at every frequency at which it generates sidebands. What
tells us bandwidth is the DIFFERENCE between the peak of the waveform
and the sidebands, and to get a good read on that, we need to put the P3
in PEAK mode. The problem is that it's tough to do that in a pileup,
because all the other signals are contributing to what the P3 sees in
the sidebands.

Yes, some of those signals ARE wide, some are VERY wide. Many DXers only
get on the air for DXpeditions to rare ones, many are OTs with OT rigs.
:) There's one of these (but a contester, not a DXer) about 2 miles down
the road from me. He only works SSB DX contests, and he wipes out the
entire band with the trash from his rig. The good news is that he has an
alternate QTH 20 miles down the coast, and since I moved in ten years
ago, he now contests from there. :)

Re: Wide CW Signals

Wes (N7WS)
I've also been chasing NPOTA stations, most of whom are on 20 SSB. It is hard to believe until you hear one but there are fools running 12 KHz wide AM there.

On Jan 14, 2016, at 9:48 AM, Amateur Radio Operator N5GE <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there something wrong with my P3, or are all of those extremely
> wide raged CW signals I see in the DX pile-ups really that bad?
> ARS N5GE

Re: Wide CW Signals

Gary Gregory-2
As do many, I love looking at old gear and I marvel at the engineering skills of those who came before us youngsters, however, to use them on 20M in todays' conditions is nothing short of shameful.
15Khz wide, scratchy hard to listen to audio simply adds to the QRM and uses unnecessary bandwidth is not something I want to see/hear on the bands.
I wish these old museum pieces were placed in a museum instead.
Obviously saying anything less than glowing comments on the operators signal is greeted with scornful remarks.
I bought my K3 to get a tight, clean signal, most however it seems buy 'eye candy' over specs.
Just my devalued 2 cents worth.
Gary

I've also been chasing NPOTA stations, most of whom are on 20 SSB. It is hard to believe until you hear one but there are fools running 12 KHz wide AM there.

On Jan 14, 2016, at 9:48 AM, Amateur Radio Operator N5GE <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there something wrong with my P3, or are all of those extremely
> wide raged CW signals I see in the DX pile-ups really that bad?
> ARS N5GE

Re: Wide CW Signals

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
In the interest of reducing list overload, lets end this thread at this time.
Lots of good replies already and a ton of traffic.

73,

Eric
List modulator
/elecraft.com/

Re: Wide CW Signals

Those extremely wide ragged looking signals are probably all the hounds
chasing the DX fox.  You are seeing multiple signals, not one ragged one.

Buck
k4ia  K3 #101
Honor Roll 333
8B DXCC

On 1/14/2016 11:48 AM, Amateur Radio Operator N5GE wrote:

> Is there something wrong with my P3, or are all of those extremely
> wide raged CW signals I see in the DX pile-ups really that bad?
> ARS N5GE

Re: Wide CW Signals

David Glasser
I have a 1967, 7.2 liter, V8, all original Buick Riviera, why, because it is noisy and probably does not meet emission standards should I relegate it to the musem?
It is a thing of beauty admired by all, and no one cares about the consumption or the mileage on the tyres.
If it were not for that 1967 Buick many cars would not exist today!!
Just saying!!

I've also been chasing NPOTA stations, most of whom are on 20 SSB. It is hard to believe until you hear one but there are fools running 12 KHz wide AM there.

On Jan 14, 2016, at 9:48 AM, Amateur Radio Operator N5GE <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there something wrong with my P3, or are all of those extremely
> wide raged CW signals I see in the DX pile-ups really that bad?
> ARS N5GE

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to

Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Wide CW Signals

Bill Frantz
I have a screen capture from the P3 with a CW signal about 15KHz
wide during straight key night. He was calling CQ, but I didn't
copy the call sign. I suspect a boatanchor in very poor condition.

73 Bill AE6JV