Will the K4 look like this?

Elecraft mailing list
The MB1 Transceiver

http://sunsdr.eu/product/mb1/

Re: Will the K4 look like this?

lstavenhagen
Interesting, but I would have the following concerns just right off the bat:
- looks huge and therefore possibly fragile. Would it be able to stand up to /p and dxpedition shipping/handling?
- oh lordy the bugs, the bugs.... An entire computer inside a rig could also be a really buggy affair, and a LOT of software development/support infrastructure required at Ele.
- the touch-screen issue that has been the subject of other threads. Restraint and careful design would be required.

So those would be the negatives I would worry about off the top of my head. As for the positives, neat idea! Eliminating the external computer I think would be a great idea. An opportunity might exist for a happy medium in the "K4"?

73,
LS
W5QD

Re: Will the K4 look like this?

David Pratt
You will have to wait until the Dayton hamvention to find out.

73 de David G4DMP

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 09:49:31 -0400
Dan Atchison via Elecraft <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The MB1 Transceiver
>
> http://sunsdr.eu/product/mb1/

Re: Will the K4 look like this?

Bob Novas
Something I noticed from the video that I like is that the entire waterfall
display moves when you tune the radio -the waterfall doesn't smoosh out over
the screen.  I think that's an improvement over the equivalent mode on the
P3 where the waterfall fractures when you tune the radio.  Bob W3DK

David

> Pratt
> Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2016 11:07 AM
> To: Dan Atchison via Elecraft
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Will the K4 look like this?
>
> You will have to wait until the Dayton hamvention to find out.
>
> 73 de David G4DMP
>
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 09:49:31 -0400
> Dan Atchison via Elecraft <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > The MB1 Transceiver
> >
> > http://sunsdr.eu/product/mb1/

Message
> delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Will the K4 look like this?

NK7Z
On Tue, 2016-04-12 at 11:36 -0400, Bob Novas wrote:
I think that's an
improvement over the equivalent mode
on the P3 where the waterfall
fractures when you tune the radio.

Bob W3DK

Hi Bob,
What mode are you talking about?  I don't seem to remember anything but smooth movement of my Waterfall on my P3...  Perhaps I am not in the same mode you are talking about?
--
73's, and thanks,
Dave (NK7Z)

For software/hardware reviews see:
http://www.nk7z.net

For MixW support see:

For SSTV help see:

On Tue, 2016-04-12 at 11:36 -0400, Bob Novas wrote:
I think that's an improvement over the equivalent mode
on the P3 where the waterfall fractures when you tune the radio.

Bob W3DK

Re: Will the K4 look like this?

Bob Novas
you're gonna make me turn it on, aren't you.  Fix-Track mode, where the spectrum moves when you tune the radio. The waterfall that's already fell stays where it is and the new waterfall line moves with the spectrum. I think it'd be better If the whole waterfall moved with the spectrum.  Bob W3DK

Re: Will the K4 look like this?

Bob Darlington
This is what I hope they fix in Win4k3Suite.  Bugs the you know what out of
me.

-Bob N3XKB

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 10:27 AM, Bob Novas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> you're gonna make me turn it on, aren't you.  Fix-Track mode, where the
> spectrum moves when you tune the radio. The waterfall that's already fell
> stays where it is and the new waterfall line moves with the spectrum. I
> think it'd be better If the whole waterfall moved with the spectrum.  Bob
> W3DK

Re: Will the K4 look like this?

NK7Z

Sorry for making you turn it on...  :)  My waterfall does not track--
new data is inserted into a non tracking waterfall, so when I tune I
get a slanting line as I expect from a dead carrier...

I see no fragmenting, unless you are talking about the slanting line
left in the Waterfall as you tune.

Is this what you are indicating?  Do you want the waterfall to track as
well as the waveform above the waterfall?

--

On Tue, 2016-04-12 at 12:27 -0400, Bob Novas wrote:

> you're gonna make me turn it on, aren't you.  Fix-Track mode, where
> the spectrum moves when you tune the radio. The waterfall that's
> already fell stays where it is and the new waterfall line moves with
> the spectrum. I think it'd be better If the whole waterfall moved
> with the spectrum.  Bob W3DK

Re: Will the K4 look like this?

Bob Novas
yes, that's what I'm trying to say - I'd rather the old waterfall bits track the new waterfall so the lines don't slant.  You can see that in the video for the new MB1 transceiver, and that behavior makes more sense to me, or at least appeals to my sense of aesthetics. Bob W3DK

Re: Will the K4 look like this?

NK7Z
Hi Bob,
OK, what threw me was the word fragmented...  I understand now.  Thank
you!
--

On Tue, 2016-04-12 at 15:00 -0400, Bob Novas wrote:

> yes, that's what I'm trying to say - I'd rather the old waterfall
> bits track the new waterfall so the lines don't slant.  You can see
> that in the video for the new MB1 transceiver, and that behavior
> makes more sense to me, or at least appeals to my sense of
> aesthetics. Bob W3DK

Re: Will the K4 look like this?

Clay Autery
This year?

______________________
Clay Autery, KG5LKV
MONTAC Enterprises
(318) 518-1389

On 4/12/2016 10:06 AM, David Pratt wrote:

> You will have to wait until the Dayton hamvention to find out.
>
> 73 de David G4DMP
>
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 09:49:31 -0400
> Dan Atchison via Elecraft <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The MB1 Transceiver
>>
>> http://sunsdr.eu/product/mb1/

Re: Will the K4 look like this?

Clay Autery
I like the way it works now...  lets me know how far I've moved it...
especially with different spans on different bands...

Course, I mostly use the markers to jump from signal to signal right now...

______________________
Clay Autery, KG5LKV
MONTAC Enterprises
(318) 518-1389

On 4/12/2016 11:27 AM, Bob Novas wrote:

> you're gonna make me turn it on, aren't you.  Fix-Track mode, where the spectrum moves when you tune the radio. The waterfall that's already fell stays where it is and the new waterfall line moves with the spectrum. I think it'd be better If the whole waterfall moved with the spectrum.  Bob W3DK

Re: Will the K4 look like this?

 blockquote, div.yahoo_quoted { margin-left: 0 !important; border-left:1px #715FFA solid !important;  padding-left:1ex !important; background-color:white !important; }  I have no insight but I'd be very surprised to see a K4 soon given the very recent introduction of the K3S.
Bob AA6VB

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Tuesday, April 12, 2016, 12:41 PM, Clay Autery <[hidden email]> wrote:

This year?

______________________
Clay Autery, KG5LKV
MONTAC Enterprises
(318) 518-1389

On 4/12/2016 10:06 AM, David Pratt wrote:

> You will have to wait until the Dayton hamvention to find out.
>
> 73 de David G4DMP
>
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 09:49:31 -0400
> Dan Atchison via Elecraft <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The MB1 Transceiver
>>
>> http://sunsdr.eu/product/mb1/

Re: Will the K4 look like this?

alorona
I must rant: Good video quality... typically LOUSY audio quality. The internet is filled with videos of rigs where the rig's cheap internal speaker is being picked up by a camera mic several feet away in an echoey room. Haven't any of these poor guys ever heard of audio direct?

Al W6LX

Re: Will the K4 look like this?

NK7Z
What's audio direct?
--

On Tue, 2016-04-12 at 22:28 +0000, Al Lorona wrote:

> I must rant: Good video quality... typically LOUSY audio quality. The
> internet is filled with videos of rigs where the rig's cheap internal
> speaker is being picked up by a camera mic several feet away in an
> echoey room. Haven't any of these poor guys ever heard of audio
> direct?
>
> Al W6LX

Re: Will the K4 look like this?

riese-k3djc

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 16:17:34 -0700 Dave Cole <[hidden email]> writes:
> What's audio direct?
> --
> 73's, and thanks,
> Dave (NK7Z)
apparently sounds good

Bob K3DJC

Re: Will the K4 look like this?

Drew AF2Z
Seems like a nice blend of physical controls and screen controls. But
until such a rig is possible for under $3k I'll be running the 'old' K3.

I like the onboard p/s also; haven't had one of those since the TenTec
Century 21, hehe...

73,
Drew
AF2Z