Will there be a K4

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
91 messages Options
12345
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Will there be a K4

w5sum
Before I spend money on a K3S, I’m just curious.. is a K4 in the planning stages? I bought my K3 and unpackaged it and just days later the K3S was announced. I was livid.. LOL

so.. what say Elecraft?

Ronnie W5SUM
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Will there be a K4

Bob McGraw - K4TAX
Wait and see or roll the dice 🎲

Bob, K4TAX


Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 24, 2019, at 12:16 PM, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Before I spend money on a K3S, I’m just curious.. is a K4 in the planning stages? I bought my K3 and unpackaged it and just days later the K3S was announced. I was livid.. LOL
>
> so.. what say Elecraft?
>
> Ronnie W5SUM
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html


______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Will there be a K4

Macy monkeys
In reply to this post by w5sum
It will be announced just after you unpack your new K3S  :)

John K7FD

> On Mar 24, 2019, at 10:16 AM, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Before I spend money on a K3S, I’m just curious.. is a K4 in the planning stages? I bought my K3 and unpackaged it and just days later the K3S was announced. I was livid.. LOL
>
> so.. what say Elecraft?
>
> Ronnie W5SUM
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Will there be a K4

Dick Dickinson
In reply to this post by w5sum
If you want to be on the safe side, but don’t want to wait forever, you
might consider that Elecraft sometimes makes major announcements here →
70th International DX Convention * April 12-14, 2019 * Visalia, California


Dick - KA5KKT
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--

Before I spend money on a K3S, I’m just curious.. is a K4 in the planning
stages? I bought my K3 and unpackaged it and just days later the K3S was
announced. I was livid.. LOL

so.. what say Elecraft?

Ronnie W5SUM


______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Will there be a K4

Bob McGraw - K4TAX
In reply to this post by Macy monkeys
Purchase what you want today. Tomorrow may never come.   If you wait until tomorrow you'll never have a new radio.

Bob, K4TAX


Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 24, 2019, at 12:25 PM, Macy monkeys <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It will be announced just after you unpack your new K3S  :)
>
> John K7FD
>
>> On Mar 24, 2019, at 10:16 AM, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Before I spend money on a K3S, I’m just curious.. is a K4 in the planning stages? I bought my K3 and unpackaged it and just days later the K3S was announced. I was livid.. LOL
>>
>> so.. what say Elecraft?
>>
>> Ronnie W5SUM
>> ______________________________________________________________
>> Elecraft mailing list
>> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
>> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html


______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Will there be a K4

Jorge Diez - CX6VM-2
In reply to this post by Bob McGraw - K4TAX
It happened with me too

They will not tell you about this, but just in case wait after Dayton

I am waiting after Dayton to know if will be a smaller remote option (integrated K3/0 mini + remoterig)

73,
Jorge
CX6VM/CW5W

Enviado desde mi iPhone

El 24 mar. 2019, a la(s) 13:22, Bob McGraw K4TAX <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Wait and see or roll the dice 🎲
>
> Bob, K4TAX
>
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Mar 24, 2019, at 12:16 PM, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Before I spend money on a K3S, I’m just curious.. is a K4 in the planning stages? I bought my K3 and unpackaged it and just days later the K3S was announced. I was livid.. LOL
>>
>> so.. what say Elecraft?
>>
>> Ronnie W5SUM
>> ______________________________________________________________
>> Elecraft mailing list
>> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
>> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>
>
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Will there be a K4

Macy monkeys
In reply to this post by Dick Dickinson
But then again, do you want to be on the bleeding edge...or settle for the comfort of a known quantity? Personally, I love being first on the block...but my bookkeeper doesn't always agree.

John K7FD

> On Mar 24, 2019, at 10:31 AM, Dick Dickinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> If you want to be on the safe side, but don’t want to wait forever, you
> might consider that Elecraft sometimes makes major announcements here →
> 70th International DX Convention * April 12-14, 2019 * Visalia, California
>
>
> Dick - KA5KKT
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> --
>
> Before I spend money on a K3S, I’m just curious.. is a K4 in the planning
> stages? I bought my K3 and unpackaged it and just days later the K3S was
> announced. I was livid.. LOL
>
> so.. what say Elecraft?
>
> Ronnie W5SUM
>
>
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Will there be a K4

Alan Corbeth
I am in the same boat.  I really want to join the Elecraft Family, but the K3 is aging and I feel a major upgrade must be on the table.  Icom, Flex, and now Yaesu have recently introduced new high tech models.  On one hand I am ready to purchase a new K3s, but will be very unhappy if shortly thereafter an upgraded new model is introduced.  Therefore, at least for now, I wait.

Alan
K7FH

> On Mar 24, 2019, at 11:03 AM, Macy monkeys <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> But then again, do you want to be on the bleeding edge...or settle for the comfort of a known quantity? Personally, I love being first on the block...but my bookkeeper doesn't always agree.
>
> John K7FD
>
>> On Mar 24, 2019, at 10:31 AM, Dick Dickinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> If you want to be on the safe side, but don’t want to wait forever, you
>> might consider that Elecraft sometimes makes major announcements here →
>> 70th International DX Convention * April 12-14, 2019 * Visalia, California
>>
>>
>> Dick - KA5KKT
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> --
>>
>> Before I spend money on a K3S, I’m just curious.. is a K4 in the planning
>> stages? I bought my K3 and unpackaged it and just days later the K3S was
>> announced. I was livid.. LOL
>>
>> so.. what say Elecraft?
>>
>> Ronnie W5SUM
>>
>>
>> ______________________________________________________________
>> Elecraft mailing list
>> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
>> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Will there be a K4

stan levandowski
In reply to this post by Bob McGraw - K4TAX
I've been a dedicated Elecrafter for well over a decade.  I've built and owned all the radios - sometimes more than once - plus the KXPA100, and many other products.  Wayne should look at my purchase history records.

But I reached the point where I got tired of orange screens so I sold everything and bought a Kenwood TS-590SG where the screen color went from yellow through orange to green.  It was a very capable radio and sounded very nice.  But I still wasn't satisfied.

So I traded it in on a TS-890S five months ago.  Now that's a beautiful, capable, colorful and HEAVY radio.  

But there's just something about Elecraft......so I sold it last week, put the money back in the bank and now I'm operating a little Hilltopper as my only radio while I take a deep breath and figure out which of the Elecraft radios that I previously owned and stupidly sold, I'll re-purchase.

I'm holding out hope for a new, colorful offering in the May time frame but if not, it's probably going to be either another KX3 or a KX2 again.  Barefoot.  

I guess I had to take the whole trip until I could figure out where I wanted to settle down....

73, Stan WB2LQF


> On March 24, 2019 at 1:35 PM Bob McGraw K4TAX <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> Purchase what you want today. Tomorrow may never come.   If you wait until tomorrow you'll never have a new radio.
>
> Bob, K4TAX
>
>
>
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Will there be a K4

ae5ka
Seems like you need to decide what you want to do with a radio, which radio
will do best for what you have to spend, and get that radio. Why wait
around for something that might or might not be in the future and may or
may not fit your needs better in some incremental way? You will never know
if a K4 is coming until Elecraft actually announces it.

Chip
AE5KA

On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 2:15 PM levandowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been a dedicated Elecrafter for well over a decade.  I've built and
> owned all the radios - sometimes more than once - plus the KXPA100, and
> many other products.  Wayne should look at my purchase history records.
>
> But I reached the point where I got tired of orange screens so I sold
> everything and bought a Kenwood TS-590SG where the screen color went from
> yellow through orange to green.  It was a very capable radio and sounded
> very nice.  But I still wasn't satisfied.
>
> So I traded it in on a TS-890S five months ago.  Now that's a beautiful,
> capable, colorful and HEAVY radio.
>
> But there's just something about Elecraft......so I sold it last week, put
> the money back in the bank and now I'm operating a little Hilltopper as my
> only radio while I take a deep breath and figure out which of the Elecraft
> radios that I previously owned and stupidly sold, I'll re-purchase.
>
> I'm holding out hope for a new, colorful offering in the May time frame
> but if not, it's probably going to be either another KX3 or a KX2 again.
> Barefoot.
>
> I guess I had to take the whole trip until I could figure out where I
> wanted to settle down....
>
> 73, Stan WB2LQF
>
>
> > On March 24, 2019 at 1:35 PM Bob McGraw K4TAX <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >
> > Purchase what you want today. Tomorrow may never come.   If you wait
> until tomorrow you'll never have a new radio.
> >
> > Bob, K4TAX
> >
> >
> >
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Will there be a K4

Victor Rosenthal 4X6GP
In reply to this post by w5sum
Of course they can't say, since it would shut off sales for the K3S. I
added new synthesizers to my K3, but didn't feel that the other stuff
justified buying a new rig. But that is for everyone to decide for
themselves.

73,
Victor, 4X6GP
Rehovot, Israel
Formerly K2VCO
CWops no. 5
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/


On 24/03/2019 19:16, [hidden email] wrote:
> Before I spend money on a K3S, I’m just curious.. is a K4 in the
> planning stages? I bought my K3 and unpackaged it and just days later
> the K3S was announced. I was livid.. LOL
>
> so.. what say Elecraft?
>
> Ronnie W5SUM
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Will there be a K4

NK7Z
In reply to this post by ae5ka
Now that I have owned a K3 for a few years, I have what the new folks
don't have, K3 experience...

Here is my take on this, now that I have some experience under my belt...

How much better can Elecraft make a K4, as compared to a K3?

I am already atmospheric noise limited, so sensitivity is not the issue
with my K3.

My current K3 reacts well to close by hams...

My current K3 allows computer control...

My current K3 allows remote control...

My current K3 seems to fit all of my needs...

My current K3 is to die for on CW...

Sure I could use more dynamic range, but honestly, that is not really
limiting my QSO or DX count...  So really, all I might see is a new
display, maybe some color, maybe a few more features, perhaps some
better filtering...

What would really chap my ass would be for Elecraft to come up with a
K4, and fork the software, and upgrade paths.  That would pretty well
end all development on the K3 after some till defined ime frame, not yet
stated...  If Elecraft comes up with a K4, and it is just a prettier
version of a K3, with maybe a few new additional features, but Elecraft
does not fork the product line, and/or software, I would be happy with
my current radio.

The K3 really does perform so much better than anything I have ever used
I don't imagine there is a lot that could be done to make it so much
better as to make me want a K4.  I doubt any prospective K4 would up my
DXCC count, or make -50 FT8 signals suddenly decode.

I am also 66, so my current, or next radio will be probably my last...
I really don't want to get on the Flex bandwagon, of paying tons for a
radio/science experiment, only to have it sell of 40% of new, three
years later...  I am happy with the K3 for now...  If a K4 comes out,
maybe, but if I did not have a K3, I and knowing what I know after
owning one for years, I would be pretty ticked at myself for waiting a
year for a K4, even if it came out...

73s and thanks,
Dave (NK7Z)
https://www.nk7z.net
ARRL Technical Specialist
ARRL Volunteer Examiner
ARRL OOC for Oregon

On 3/24/19 11:38 AM, Chip Stratton wrote:

> Seems like you need to decide what you want to do with a radio, which radio
> will do best for what you have to spend, and get that radio. Why wait
> around for something that might or might not be in the future and may or
> may not fit your needs better in some incremental way? You will never know
> if a K4 is coming until Elecraft actually announces it.
>
> Chip
> AE5KA
>
> On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 2:15 PM levandowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I've been a dedicated Elecrafter for well over a decade.  I've built and
>> owned all the radios - sometimes more than once - plus the KXPA100, and
>> many other products.  Wayne should look at my purchase history records.
>>
>> But I reached the point where I got tired of orange screens so I sold
>> everything and bought a Kenwood TS-590SG where the screen color went from
>> yellow through orange to green.  It was a very capable radio and sounded
>> very nice.  But I still wasn't satisfied.
>>
>> So I traded it in on a TS-890S five months ago.  Now that's a beautiful,
>> capable, colorful and HEAVY radio.
>>
>> But there's just something about Elecraft......so I sold it last week, put
>> the money back in the bank and now I'm operating a little Hilltopper as my
>> only radio while I take a deep breath and figure out which of the Elecraft
>> radios that I previously owned and stupidly sold, I'll re-purchase.
>>
>> I'm holding out hope for a new, colorful offering in the May time frame
>> but if not, it's probably going to be either another KX3 or a KX2 again.
>> Barefoot.
>>
>> I guess I had to take the whole trip until I could figure out where I
>> wanted to settle down....
>>
>> 73, Stan WB2LQF
>>
>>
>>> On March 24, 2019 at 1:35 PM Bob McGraw K4TAX <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> Purchase what you want today. Tomorrow may never come.   If you wait
>> until tomorrow you'll never have a new radio.
>>>
>>> Bob, K4TAX
>>>
>>>
>>>
>> ______________________________________________________________
>> Elecraft mailing list
>> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
>> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>>
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Will there be a K4

Bill Frantz
In reply to this post by w5sum
Eric spoke at our club last month. I asked him about any
upcoming announcements and he just smiled and remained silent.

I greatly appreciate the fact that Elecraft works hard to make
the newest and greatest retrofittable to the older radios. I
have upgraded everything in my K3 to the K3S level except the
tuning knob.

The fora most likely for a new announcements are Dayton and
Visalia. If you wait until after Dayton, that's the best chance
of not being surprised while unpacking your new K3S.

73 Bill AE6JV

On 3/24/19 at 10:16 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

>Before I spend money on a K3S, I’m just curious.. is a K4 in
>the planning stages? I bought my K3 and unpackaged it and just
>days later the K3S was announced. I was livid.. LOL

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Bill Frantz        | Ham radio contesting is a    | Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      | contact sport.               | 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com |  - Ken Widelitz K6LA / VY2TT | Los Gatos,
CA 95032

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Will there be a K4

Macy monkeys
In reply to this post by Victor Rosenthal 4X6GP
Do you think the 'K4' will have a touch display? Seems to be all the rage nowadays. Yaesu's 3D display looks intriguing. Whatever the K4 turns out to be, if it's over 25 lbs I'm not interested. Was never so happy as the day I sold that 57 lb TS-990S.

John K7FD

> On Mar 24, 2019, at 12:16 PM, Victor Rosenthal 4X6GP <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Of course they can't say, since it would shut off sales for the K3S. I added new synthesizers to my K3, but didn't feel that the other stuff justified buying a new rig. But that is for everyone to decide for themselves.
>
> 73,
> Victor, 4X6GP
> Rehovot, Israel
> Formerly K2VCO
> CWops no. 5
> http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/
>
>
>> On 24/03/2019 19:16, [hidden email] wrote:
>> Before I spend money on a K3S, I’m just curious.. is a K4 in the
>> planning stages? I bought my K3 and unpackaged it and just days later
>> the K3S was announced. I was livid.. LOL
>> so.. what say Elecraft?
>> Ronnie W5SUM
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Will there be a K4

k6mkf
In reply to this post by NK7Z
I bought my K-Line K3-P3-KAT500-KPA500 used and it’s met all my DXing needs, and I’ve not missed any ATNOs if I was around to work them.  Upgraded the Synth cards and had the gold pins installed and that’s it.  It’s been the best rig I’ve ever owned.

I flirted with the idea of a K3s, but just couldn’t cost justify the added expense.

The Wizards of Watsonville always seem to have something up their sleeves and it will be interesting to see what’s next.

If the new offering is a greater performance improvement than the K3s, I might be tempted.

-- Mike Flowers, K6MKF, NCDXC - "It's about DX!"

> On Mar 24, 2019, at 12:29 PM, Dave Cole (NK7Z) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Now that I have owned a K3 for a few years, I have what the new folks don't have, K3 experience...
>
> Here is my take on this, now that I have some experience under my belt...
>
> How much better can Elecraft make a K4, as compared to a K3?
>
> I am already atmospheric noise limited, so sensitivity is not the issue with my K3.
>
> My current K3 reacts well to close by hams...
>
> My current K3 allows computer control...
>
> My current K3 allows remote control...
>
> My current K3 seems to fit all of my needs...
>
> My current K3 is to die for on CW...
>
> Sure I could use more dynamic range, but honestly, that is not really limiting my QSO or DX count...  So really, all I might see is a new display, maybe some color, maybe a few more features, perhaps some better filtering...
>
> What would really chap my ass would be for Elecraft to come up with a K4, and fork the software, and upgrade paths.  That would pretty well end all development on the K3 after some till defined ime frame, not yet stated...  If Elecraft comes up with a K4, and it is just a prettier version of a K3, with maybe a few new additional features, but Elecraft does not fork the product line, and/or software, I would be happy with my current radio.
>
> The K3 really does perform so much better than anything I have ever used I don't imagine there is a lot that could be done to make it so much better as to make me want a K4.  I doubt any prospective K4 would up my DXCC count, or make -50 FT8 signals suddenly decode.
>
> I am also 66, so my current, or next radio will be probably my last... I really don't want to get on the Flex bandwagon, of paying tons for a radio/science experiment, only to have it sell of 40% of new, three years later...  I am happy with the K3 for now...  If a K4 comes out, maybe, but if I did not have a K3, I and knowing what I know after owning one for years, I would be pretty ticked at myself for waiting a year for a K4, even if it came out...
>
> 73s and thanks,
> Dave (NK7Z)
> https://www.nk7z.net
> ARRL Technical Specialist
> ARRL Volunteer Examiner
> ARRL OOC for Oregon
>
>> On 3/24/19 11:38 AM, Chip Stratton wrote:
>> Seems like you need to decide what you want to do with a radio, which radio
>> will do best for what you have to spend, and get that radio. Why wait
>> around for something that might or might not be in the future and may or
>> may not fit your needs better in some incremental way? You will never know
>> if a K4 is coming until Elecraft actually announces it.
>> Chip
>> AE5KA
>>> On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 2:15 PM levandowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I've been a dedicated Elecrafter for well over a decade.  I've built and
>>> owned all the radios - sometimes more than once - plus the KXPA100, and
>>> many other products.  Wayne should look at my purchase history records.
>>>
>>> But I reached the point where I got tired of orange screens so I sold
>>> everything and bought a Kenwood TS-590SG where the screen color went from
>>> yellow through orange to green.  It was a very capable radio and sounded
>>> very nice.  But I still wasn't satisfied.
>>>
>>> So I traded it in on a TS-890S five months ago.  Now that's a beautiful,
>>> capable, colorful and HEAVY radio.
>>>
>>> But there's just something about Elecraft......so I sold it last week, put
>>> the money back in the bank and now I'm operating a little Hilltopper as my
>>> only radio while I take a deep breath and figure out which of the Elecraft
>>> radios that I previously owned and stupidly sold, I'll re-purchase.
>>>
>>> I'm holding out hope for a new, colorful offering in the May time frame
>>> but if not, it's probably going to be either another KX3 or a KX2 again.
>>> Barefoot.
>>>
>>> I guess I had to take the whole trip until I could figure out where I
>>> wanted to settle down....
>>>
>>> 73, Stan WB2LQF
>>>
>>>
>>>> On March 24, 2019 at 1:35 PM Bob McGraw K4TAX <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Purchase what you want today. Tomorrow may never come.   If you wait
>>> until tomorrow you'll never have a new radio.
>>>>
>>>> Bob, K4TAX
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>> ______________________________________________________________
>>> Elecraft mailing list
>>> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
>>> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>>
>>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>>> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>>>
>> ______________________________________________________________
>> Elecraft mailing list
>> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
>> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Will there be a K4

wayne burdick
Administrator
In reply to this post by Macy monkeys

> it's over 25 lbs I'm not interested. Was never so happy as the day I sold that 57 lb TS-990S.

Amen, brother. You’ll never see a home-brew rig weighing more than about 12 pounds in my shack.

Wayne
N6KR


______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Will there be a K4

David Olean
In reply to this post by Bill Frantz
Some people go through radios like eating popcorn. I am sort of the
opposite animal.  I too bought a K3 about three weeks before the K3S was
announced. I suspected something was going on when I discovered that
there was a new synthesizer in my new K3. I was not too upset at all.
Anyway, I now have three K3 radios and view them as being all of my
"children". I can't bring myself to sell any of them even though I don't
need multiple rigs anymore. (We had a multi-multi station and I have
about 6 or 7 Bird 43 meters as well!) Each K3 is outfitted for different
situations. One is a bare bones 10 watt version that is great for
portable operating.

I will see what happens in the future, but for now, I am pretty darn
happy with receiver performance today.  Ham radio is a hobby, not a
business. I don't have to maximize profits to satisfy investors.  If I
am not using it, I put it on a shelf. I have been stung so many times in
the past by selling off items that I thought I did not need.

Dave K1WHS

On 3/24/2019 7:35 PM, Bill Frantz wrote:

> Eric spoke at our club last month. I asked him about any upcoming
> announcements and he just smiled and remained silent.
>
> I greatly appreciate the fact that Elecraft works hard to make the
> newest and greatest retrofittable to the older radios. I have upgraded
> everything in my K3 to the K3S level except the tuning knob.
>
> The fora most likely for a new announcements are Dayton and Visalia.
> If you wait until after Dayton, that's the best chance of not being
> surprised while unpacking your new K3S.
>
> 73 Bill AE6JV
>
> On 3/24/19 at 10:16 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Before I spend money on a K3S, I’m just curious.. is a K4 in the
>> planning stages? I bought my K3 and unpackaged it and just days later
>> the K3S was announced. I was livid.. LOL
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
> Bill Frantz        | Ham radio contesting is a    | Periwinkle
> (408)356-8506      | contact sport.               | 16345 Englewood Ave
> www.pwpconsult.com |  - Ken Widelitz K6LA / VY2TT | Los Gatos, CA 95032
>
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Will there be a K4

Jim Brown-10
In reply to this post by Alan Corbeth
On 3/24/2019 11:13 AM, Alan Corbeth wrote:
> I really want to join the Elecraft Family, but the K3 is aging and I feel a major upgrade must be on the table.  Icom, Flex, and now Yaesu have recently introduced new high tech models.

Gee -- the two K3s I bought in 2008 were updated about 3 years ago by
the substitution of several modules designed for the K3S. They are
plug-in compatible in the radios I paid $3K for, the upgrade cost me
about $600, and the radios blow away anything from Icom, Yaesu, or
Kenwood. And if you want to upgrade those radios you have to buy a new one.

There's nothing "low tech" about Elecraft rigs, nor "high tech" about
the expensive rigs (or SDR rigs) from other mfrs. Except for the top
line Flex rigs, it's nothing more than needing to have the latest,
flashiest model in the driveway. Indeed, the only competing rig that's
anywhere near being in the same class as a K3 is the Flex 6700, and it's
been recognized by both serious contesters and solid engineers as a very
good radio.

My advice -- if you want a K3, buy one of the used ones that come up
from time to time on this reflector. They usually sell at half the cost
of a new K3S, still blow away the competition, and can be upgraded to
90% of a K3S for under $800.

73, Jim K9YC

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Will there be a K4

Jim Brown-10
In reply to this post by NK7Z
On 3/24/2019 12:29 PM, Dave Cole (NK7Z) wrote:
> My current K3 is to die for on CW...

AND on SSB, thanks to the built-in EQ for both transmit and receive, the
excellent audio processing, the excellent receiver, including the range
of roofing filters.

73, Jim K9YC

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Will there be a K4

Edward R Cole
In reply to this post by w5sum
Someday!

But the K3s is still new to the marketplace and Eric and Wayne (aka
Elecraft) are in a "for-profit" enterprise.  I suspect their business
plan specifies a target number of sales to make a new product
"successful".  Most likely that will be a few more years to arrive.

What could move-up that date would be emergence of competing products
with more advanced features/specs.

My guess the K4 will arrive with substantial different design - and
they are taking notes on the desires of the readership (no dummies,
they are).  Obviously direct -conversion is one, when A/D technology
advances enough (and is fiscally reasonable) to do well.  I'd say we
are there, now (KX3 and KX2).

Since I am involved in one of the most technical demanding aspect of
Ham radio (eme), folks should look at the advancements being done on eme.

Latest arrival is the UADC4 designed-for-ham radio four audio port
A/D convertor using USB computer interface.  A perfect unit for
interface with SDR's.  KX3 provides IQ that would use two
ports.  This A/D has superior dynamic range and low noise floor when
compared to soundcards.  Eme'rs will proof this new technology and I
expect it will begin to be adopted outside eme.  Recent explosion of
FT8 is an example.

I bought my K3 in 2010 after thoroughly comparing the field.  Phase
coherent dual receivers were the significant goal.  I pair them with
two LP-Pan run from a single LO into a Delta44 soundcard (which will
be replaced by the UADC4).  I updated the Synth boards when they
became available and modified the Gen Coverage BP filter to accept
630m.  Did not need the new K3s USB I/F as line-in audio and
USB/RS232 conversion cables working fine.  Some of the other
improvements not used in my particular applications.

Who knows if the K4 will encourage me to upgrade?

73, Ed - KL7UW
   http://www.kl7uw.com
Dubus-NA Business mail:
   [hidden email]

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
12345