XLR Audio Cable to K3S

David Ahrendts
Am I correct here:
I’m building an audio cable for the K3S — 3-pin XLR from the mich to the 8-pin K3S input (pin diagram on page 13 of the Owner’s manual). And here’s a Wiki on the XLR pins:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XLR_connector
XLR pin #1 (ground) to K3S 8-pin #7 and #8, both ground. The connector shell should be grounded also for best RF protection, yes?
XLR pin #2 to K3S 8-pin #1, mich audio

David A., KK6DA, Los Angeles

David Ahrendts   [hidden email]

Re: XLR Audio Cable to K3S

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

On 6/5/2016 12:30 PM, David Ahrendts wrote:
 > Am I correct here:

The correct connections for an XLR (balanced) connection on
a dynamic mic to the Elecraft/Kenwood 8 pin Foster plug are:

   Mic     Foster
    1       SHELL   Shield (Ground)
    2         1     Mic Hot
    3         7     Mic Return

The correct connections for an XLR (balanced) connection on
a dynamic mic to the Elecraft 3.5 mm (rear mic) jack are:

   Mic     3.5 mm
    1        N/C    Shield (Ground)
    2        Tip    Mic Hot
    3       Sleeve  Mic Return

One should use *twisted pair* wiring for audio - particularly in
conjunction with the rear mic jack since there is no opportunity
for a grounded shield.

On Sun,6/5/2016 9:30 AM, David Ahrendts wrote:
> Am I correct here:
> I’m building an audio cable for the K3S — 3-pin XLR from the mich to the 8-pin K3S input (pin diagram on page 13 of the Owner’s manual). And here’s a Wiki on the XLR pins:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XLR_connector
> XLR pin #1 (ground) to K3S 8-pin #7 and #8, both ground.

First, the correct words are SHIELD and SHIELDING ENCLOSURE, not
"ground." For a dynamic mic, pin 1 to the shielding enclosure, pin 2 is
mic "high," pin 3 is mic return.

> The connector shell should be grounded also for best RF protection, yes?

NO, an the shell of an cable-mounted XLR should NOT be connected to
anything. The shell of ALL connectors built into equipment SHOULD be
bonded to the shielding enclosure.