XV144 transverter firmware

f5bqp
Hi the Group,

What is the latest firmware revision of the processor (PIC 16F872/1 SP)
which is located on the front board of the XV144 transverter?
The transverter I got has a PIC 16F872/1 SP with a sticker XV1.60E and
the RF Board (main board) is Rev C , I guess it's a pretty old transverter.

Should I upgrade the firmware located in the PIC to a newer rev if there
is one and what enhencements it would bring?

Thanks in advance for your repplies.
Best 73's
Pierre-Francois, F5BQP

Re: XV144 transverter firmware

Robert Friess
Rev 1.6E is the latest firmware.

73,
Bob, N6CM

On Sat, Jul 4, 2015 at 10:03 PM, Pierre-François (f5bqp_pfm) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi the Group,
>
> What is the latest firmware revision of the processor (PIC 16F872/1 SP)
> which is located on the front board of the XV144 transverter?
> The transverter I got has a PIC 16F872/1 SP with a sticker XV1.60E and the
> RF Board (main board) is Rev C , I guess it's a pretty old transverter.
>
> Should I upgrade the firmware located in the PIC to a newer rev if there
> is one and what enhencements it would bring?
>
> Thanks in advance for your repplies.
> Best 73's
> Pierre-Francois, F5BQP

Re: XV144 transverter firmware

f5bqp
Hi Bob,

Thanks again for your quick response, don't know if you're part of the
Elecraft team, if yes then congrats for that, excellent products with
like everywhere some deficiencies to be corrected.
One of these into your XVxxx transverters are the local oscillators
which these days are out of scope of the actual technologies, specially
due the digital modulations requiring much more stability than a single
XTAL (even equipped with a heater).
I'm going to replace the Xtal oscillator of my XV144 with a clean 116MHZ
PLL synced 10MHZ, place a small smd PAT-2+ or 3+ (2 or 3db depending of
my stock) pad behind the mixer LO input as I'm not sure the 50Z
adaptation is perfect, and adjust the LO level at its maximum between 17
to 20dbm according the mixer datasheet to increase the IP3 to the max
possible with this ADEX-10H mixer.
I know these transverters have been designed many years ago for the k2
line, may be now it's time to revamp them a bit with some new
technologies to improve their performances at a level of some other
competitive products.
For me the main advantage of these transverters is the
"interfacing/switching management" within the k3 line and the nice
packaging within the line but the RF performances are becoming a bit
obsolete.

Best 73's
Pierre-Francois, F5BQP

Le 05/07/2015 07:20, Robert Friess a écrit :

> Rev 1.6E is the latest firmware.
>
> 73,
> Bob, N6CM
>
> On Sat, Jul 4, 2015 at 10:03 PM, Pierre-François (f5bqp_pfm)
>
>     Hi the Group,
>
>     What is the latest firmware revision of the processor (PIC
>     16F872/1 SP) which is located on the front board of the XV144
>     transverter?
>     The transverter I got has a PIC 16F872/1 SP with a sticker XV1.60E
>     and the RF Board (main board) is Rev C , I guess it's a pretty old
>     transverter.
>
>     Should I upgrade the firmware located in the PIC to a newer rev if
>     there is one and what enhencements it would bring?
>
>     Thanks in advance for your repplies.
>     Best 73's
>     Pierre-Francois, F5BQP
>
>     --

>     Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
>     This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>     Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>     Message delivered to [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: XV144 transverter firmware

Don Wilhelm-4
Pierre-Francois,

Bob Friess N6CM *is* the designer of the XV series of Elecraft
transverters, and the RF sections of many other Elecraft products.
He is an excellent RF engineer.  Your comments on the limitations of the
XV series transverters are well taken, but decisions regarding upgrading
the designs must be considered with respect to the product volumes and
the engineering resources available.

On 7/5/2015 3:08 AM, Pierre-François (f5bqp_pfm) wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> Thanks again for your quick response, don't know if you're part of the
> Elecraft team, if yes then congrats for that, excellent products with
> like everywhere some deficiencies to be corrected.

Re: XV144 transverter firmware

f5bqp
Hi Don,

Thanks for your response Don,  the design of these XV transverters which
have been done many years ago for the k2 line is something I understand
perfectly.
Since this time the technology has moved up, this is the reason why I
decided to improve mine.
However once more the design of the packaging (flat, light, pretty... )
and the integration into the k2/k3 line is excellent, this
daisy-chaining is perfect, avoiding externally complex and ugly cabling.
The shame is there is no 23cm transverter into this XV line, probably
I'll integrate one of my 23cm transverters into an XV144 I'll depopulate
keeping the IF and control logic parts.
My goal is to replace my IC910H (2m/70cm/23cm) with the k3 plus XV
series, but with improved performances.

You're doing an excellent job guys (Elecraft team), continue going up,
we love this.

Best 73's
Pierre-Francois, F5BQP

Le 05/07/2015 17:44, Don Wilhelm a écrit :

> Pierre-Francois,
>
> Bob Friess N6CM *is* the designer of the XV series of Elecraft
> transverters, and the RF sections of many other Elecraft products.
> He is an excellent RF engineer.  Your comments on the limitations of
> the XV series transverters are well taken, but decisions regarding
> upgrading the designs must be considered with respect to the product
> volumes and the engineering resources available.

> On 7/5/2015 3:08 AM, Pierre-François (f5bqp_pfm) wrote:
>> Hi Bob,
>>
>> Thanks again for your quick response, don't know if you're part of
>> the Elecraft team, if yes then congrats for that, excellent products
>> with like everywhere some deficiencies to be corrected.

Re: XV144 transverter firmware

Edward R Cole
Pierre-Francois, F5BQP:

Substituting the xtal LO with a PLL will solve the frequency drift
issue.  One caveat is making sure the PLL has low phase-noise as that
affects ability to handle strong adjacent frequency signals when
trying to copy weak signals (which is why you are using JT65).  One
of the shining parameters of the K3 design.

I had DEMI transverters long before I acquired my K3/10 (and KX3) so
have continued to use them.  I have heated xtal osc on 144 and 222
but use a PLL on 432, 1296, and 3400 MHz.  Recent re-design by DEMI
has improved xtal LO frequency stability while the xtal oscillator
has excellent phase-noise performance.  I see about 7 to 10 Hz drift
on the 101 to 194 MHz xtal oscillators in the new L-series of DEMI
transverters.  But LO's for higher bands multiply the xtal oscillator
frequency which also multiplies drift.

For 432 and higher I found using the N5AC ApolLO PLL's worked well in
DEMI transverters.  The N5AC Apol series is not the lowest in
phase-noise so that could be a real concern for those doing VHF-plus
in high density RF environments.  So  one should consider phase-noise
when deciding on a PLL.  W1GHZ has a new VCXO design that exhibits
lower noise than a PLL. Of course this is for the experimenter ham who DIY.

I do think there will be a increasing use of PLL in VHF and higher
equipment due to demands of digital modes and need for better
frequency stability on the higher bands.

One issue is the need for an external 10-MHz reference.  That is not
hard to embed into current equipment.  I did that for a 432-MHz
transverter customer.

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
     "Kits made by KL7UW"