iPad as wired remote for Elecraft rig?

Andrew Moore-3
I've searched a lot and can't find the answer so I'm asking the group.

Is it possible to use the iPad as "detachable head" for a K2, K3 or KX3,
using a direct connection (no Bluetooth / PC / wireless / Internet)?

I know the Apple Camera Connectivity Kit with some USB audio adapters give
you a panadapter for the KX3 but I'm interested in very basic primary
control (tuning, filters) and display (frequency) by sending and receiving
commands via USB.

I have a feeling that when you connect the iPad to the KUSB via the the
Camera Connectivity Kit, iOS will say "unsupported device," but I don't
have a KUSB here - can anyone confirm?

Even so, is it possible to write an app to communicate with the rig in this
setup, despite the lack of official support? I realize that won't have
Apple's blessing but I'm interested in running this on my own device, not
putting it in the store.

Thanks,
Andrew, NV1B
..

Re: iPad as wired remote for Elecraft rig?

Phil Hystad-3
I was thinking of doing iPad connectivity to Ki equipment but instead of using the
connector cable, I would use Bluetooth.  I looked into bluetooth adapters for the
rigs.  Something you can plug right into the back of the K3 (or, maybe P3).

So, I found a number of them of varying prices from kit like things around $25 or so
to a variety in the $45 to $75 range and then even a few up around $120.  I have
not bought any yet since this is a project waiting for my retirement in August.

I also have not thought too much about the iPad side and that is something I need
to do.  These bluetooth adapters sometimes come with drivers for using in a
Windows computer where the connection shows up as a COM port.  But, I need to
experiment with what iOS gives me directly from a programming side of things
and see if this is even viable.  I should take the time to investigate that now
but I just have not had any time.

73, phil, K7PEH

On May 13, 2013, at 7:18 AM, Andrew Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've searched a lot and can't find the answer so I'm asking the group.
>
> Is it possible to use the iPad as "detachable head" for a K2, K3 or KX3,
> using a direct connection (no Bluetooth / PC / wireless / Internet)?
>
> I know the Apple Camera Connectivity Kit with some USB audio adapters give
> you a panadapter for the KX3 but I'm interested in very basic primary
> control (tuning, filters) and display (frequency) by sending and receiving
> commands via USB.
>
> I have a feeling that when you connect the iPad to the KUSB via the the
> Camera Connectivity Kit, iOS will say "unsupported device," but I don't
> have a KUSB here - can anyone confirm?
>
> Even so, is it possible to write an app to communicate with the rig in this
> setup, despite the lack of official support? I realize that won't have
> Apple's blessing but I'm interested in running this on my own device, not
> putting it in the store.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew, NV1B
> ..

Re: iPad as wired remote for Elecraft rig?

Mike Heitmann
Hi Andrew,

Apple is pretty restrictive with what / who / how the USB and Bluetooth
Interfaces get used in iOS. As a result, not much has been developed for the
wired or bluetooth interface for iPad/iPhone, WiFi, however,  is another story.
I've been happily using  the HamLog app with two devices: the Pigtail and the
Piglet, with my KX3. It works very well.

The Pigtail or Piglet device (you only need one of the two) connects to your KX3
serial port and creates a  "virtual serial cable" to the KX3. The HamLog app
talks to the KX3 via an "adhoc" type  WiFi connection providing rig control and
logging capability.

It works great in the field for portable operations, and when I get home I can
export the HamLog adif contact log file,  then upload the file to my main
logging program on the PC in my shack.

Take a look at:
http://pignology.net/
 And some of the demo video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXeqeV5-8TI

Mike, N0SO

I've searched a lot and can't find the answer so I'm asking the group.

Is it possible to use the iPad as "detachable head" for a K2, K3 or KX3,
using a direct connection (no Bluetooth / PC / wireless / Internet)?

Re: iPad as wired remote for Elecraft rig?

Nick Garner
Hello Everyone,
When I first started work on Pigtail, the original plan was to make it a
wired accessory.  With the assistance of a lawyer (required) I went through
the whole licensing and NDA process to make approved hardware and the very
first prototype was working on the bench a couple months later.  It plugged
into the 30 pin connector on iOS devices.  As I got deeper into the
process, unless I was making thousands of them it just wouldn't be feasible
without the cable costing a lot of money.  I switched over to Bluetooth
which is also restricted when it comes to serial data and found many of the
same roadblocks.  I eventually went with WiFi because it's universal and
there's no licensing restrictions.  When first considering WiFi I thought,
"But... there's not going to be WiFi on top of the mountain..."  The wifi
module I'm using can operate independently of any wireless networks so that
problem went away and off I went.  And with the switch from the 30-pin
connector to Lightning on iOS devices, I'm pretty happy I did.

I'm giving a talk at Dayton later this week on the process I took and
mistakes I made when going through the process of making Pigtail.  A large
portion (and goal) of the talk is how to DIY for anyone who wants to make
something like this themselves.

73,
Nick
N3WG

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 8:42 AM, Mike Heitmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> Apple is pretty restrictive with what / who / how the USB and Bluetooth
> Interfaces get used in iOS. As a result, not much has been developed for
> the
> wired or bluetooth interface for iPad/iPhone, WiFi, however,  is another
> story.
> I've been happily using  the HamLog app with two devices: the Pigtail and
> the
> Piglet, with my KX3. It works very well.
>

> The Pigtail or Piglet device (you only need one of the two) connects to
> your KX3
> serial port and creates a  "virtual serial cable" to the KX3. The HamLog
> app
> talks to the KX3 via an "adhoc" type  WiFi connection providing rig
> control and
> logging capability.
>

> It works great in the field for portable operations, and when I get home I
> can
> export the HamLog adif contact log file,  then upload the file to my main
> logging program on the PC in my shack.
>
> Take a look at:
> http://pignology.net/
>  And some of the demo video:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXeqeV5-8TI
>
> Mike, N0SO

Thanks for the responses.

I've come across a possible solution from redpark.com, who sells an
iPad/iPhone-to-DB9 cable with some smarts inside, to provide either TTL or
RS-232 level communication directly with an external device.

I realize I will need a custom cable between this one and the K2's AUX I/O
connector (do NOT attempt to plug it into the rig directly), but that
shouldn't be a problem.

The Redpark RS-232 cable comes in two flavors - one that uses UART pins on
the 30-pin connector, and one that uses USB pins. They recommended the USB
version ("C2-DB9V" cable) in my case, as there may be some unresolved issue
with iOS 6.1.x when using the UART version. Redpark provides an Xcode SDK
for communicating with the serial device through their cable. From the
coding standpoint the SDK is the same regardless of which (USB/UART) cable
is used.

Since this isn't an Apple-blessed setup, apps developed for it are for
private/internal use only and will not be allowed for sale (or even for
free) in the Apple Store, but it may be just the ticket for my needs.

73,
--Andrew, NV1B
..