Quantcast

iSDR and KX3 problems

dennis rosenbalm
I appreciate the several responses I have had regarding the problem I am experiencing with the iSDR app and my KX3 . Using the information from these responses I am making progress but still have one last thing to resolve.

To clarify a couple of earlier issues, my iPad is the latest version which Apple calls the "new iPad", not the iPad 3 or 4. It has the new lightning connector (tiny) that can be used with the latest iPhone5. I initially tried to use the cable that came with the iPad charger as the connection between the Griffin iMic and the iPad by using a female-female USB coupling. This did not work. I was advised to buy the camera adaptor instead of using the charger cable and this I did. The camera adaptor cable has a lightning plug on one end and a female USB on the other, thus solving the male-male USB problem encountered earlier.

After several attempts at connecting things with power on or off each instrument, I finally have the spectrum display playing nicely however, I have no sound out of the Griffin. I am using a small earbud amplifier (gain unknown) to drive earbuds but hear nothing. If I leave the iSDR app and type on the iPad keyboard I do hear the tap tones through the Griffin.

At this point I am wondering if one, I am missing a setting to enable the audio or two, do I need a higher gain audio amp than the one I am using?

Does anyone have a suggestion to solve this last problem?

Re: iSDR and KX3 problems

Augie "Gus" Hansen
On 1/1/2013 9:47 PM, GDR wrote:

> To clarify a couple of earlier issues, my iPad is the latest version
> which Apple calls the "new iPad", not the iPad 3 or 4. It has the new
> lightning connector (tiny) that can be used with the latest iPhone5.

I just purchased a new iPad and has the "tiny" lightning connector, just
like the iPhone 5, and the A6X processor. It was advertised by Micro
Center as a 4th generation iPad.

They also were selling some 3rd generation iPads that use the earlier
design larger connector and the A5 processor.

There was no mention of the "new iPad" in the advertising nor in the store.

Gus Hansen,
KB0YH

Re: iSDR and KX3 problems

Jim's Desktop
That's actually the iPad 4 (the one with the "Retina" display).  BTW, if you get the camera adapter with the lightning connector, the Griffin iMic will work just fine with it to run iSDR with the KX3.  I'm running a 16gig "New" iPad (4) with just that setup, using a Pignology.com "PigTail" for control, Pignology's HamLog with the KX3.  Of course you can't run iSDR and HamLog at the same time as Apple apparently doesn't believe in the ability to run multiple "APPS" simultaneously with each in a reduced size screen on the iPad.

Jim  - W0EB

> On 1/1/2013 9:47 PM, GDR wrote:

>> To clarify a couple of earlier issues, my iPad is the latest
>> version which Apple calls the "new iPad", not the iPad 3 or 4. It
>> has the new lightning connector (tiny) that can be used with the
>> latest iPhone5.

Re: iSDR and KX3 problems

JP O'Connor
When I demo both iSDR and Pigtail/HamLog with my KX3, I use two iPads (mine
and I "borrow" my wife's). One for iSDR with the Griffin iMic (or Sonoma
Wireworks GuitarTone device) and one for HamLog with the Pigtail.

For iSDR, I set the frequency in the app to 0.000 so that on the iPad
display everything is relative to the radio's VFO. I do this since iSDR
does not have any connectivity to any radio except for the I/Q output
signal itself.

Recently I made my first Summits On The Air (SOTA) activation (35 degrees
F) and used HamLog on my iPhone 5. It worked really well. I didn't use iSDR
since I was the DX and stayed on a frequency. It was also the first
activation for the summit, so that was fun.

73 de JP WF4Z