iSDR app and KX3 not working

dennis rosenbalm
I am in need of advice. I have the newer iPad 2 and am having no luck getting it to work with the KX3 using the iSDR app. I am using the Griffin external sound card and basically doing what the uTube video I Googled is doing but all I am seeing is noise, no stations and the iPad has no control of the KX3. Seems that the KX3 and the iPad are not talking to one another. My first question is, has anyone used the new generation iPad successfully with iSDR? Any tricks to get it to work? Thanks for reading.

Re: iSDR app and KX3 not working

Buck - k4ia
You need more than the Griffin to get the iPad to control the radio.
You also need a computer to radio interface such as the PigTail from
Pignology.net which uses wireless networking to talk to the iPad.

I too had trouble with the Griffin but chalked it up to cheap cables I
bought from China - they were terrible (shorted).  I have since gotten
the Elecraft cables but not had a chance to try them.  What iSDR app are
you using?

Buck
k4ia
K3 # 101  KX3 #715

On 12/29/2012 5:48 PM, GDR wrote:

> I am in need of advice. I have the newer iPad 2 and am having no luck getting it to work with the KX3 using the iSDR app. I am using the Griffin external sound card and basically doing what the uTube video I Googled is doing but all I am seeing is noise, no stations and the iPad has no control of the KX3. Seems that the KX3 and the iPad are not talking to one another. My first question is, has anyone used the new generation iPad successfully with iSDR? Any tricks to get it to work? Thanks for reading.

Re: iSDR app and KX3 not working

Andrew Moore-3
Dennis:

I have it working with only the following:

- Griffin iMic
- Apple Camera Connectivity Kit
- iPad 2

I can't remember exactly why but I ended up hacking together my own cable
from the Griffin to the PC. But it's still a simple stereo audio cable.

I have to admit I was very eager to get it all working, even to the point
of expedited shipping for the Griffin from Amazon, but after I got it
working, I haven't gone back to it, not even once.  It all seemed very
fiddly, tethered, and simply "not radio" to me.

However, it is working and I'll be glad to go over the setup with you (and
anyone else) off-list if you need a hand.

Might even be kind of fun getting it set up again here - maybe I'll change
my mind!

--Andrew, NV1B
..

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 5:48 PM, GDR <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am in need of advice. I have the newer iPad 2 and am having no luck
> getting it to work with the KX3 using the iSDR app. I am using the Griffin
> external sound card and basically doing what the uTube video I Googled is
> doing but all I am seeing is noise, no stations and the iPad has no control
> of the KX3. Seems that the KX3 and the iPad are not talking to one another.
> My first question is, has anyone used the new generation iPad successfully
> with iSDR? Any tricks to get it to work? Thanks for reading.

Re: iSDR app and KX3 not working

wb4jfi
Hello there, I might be able to help a little.

I assume that you have the KX3 analog I/Q outputs connected to the Griffin
iMic "IN" jack, the iMic plugged into the Apple USB camera adaptor, which
then plugs into the iPad connector?

By new generation iPad, do you really mean the iPad 2, or iPad 3, or Mini? I
see you mention both an iPad 2 and a new generation iPad, they aren't the
same.

I have been using the iMic and Apple adaptor for well over a year, including
with an original iPad, iPad 2, and iPad 3.  However, I do not have a KX3
(yet).  I'm using my setup mostly with Softrocks, but the KX3 generates
analog I/Q signals similar to the Softrock, and I've heard others use that
combination OK.

The first thing that I would check is that you are connected properly to the
KX3 analog I/Q outputs.  That would be my guess if you are loading iSDR
properly, and everything else seems OK.  Also, can you see the "demo" or
prerecorded spectrum in iSDR?

You will not have control over the KX3 from iSDR, as in tuning the KX3, etc.
A friend and I have been working on a way to add that for a while now, using
an Arduino and ethernet to connect to the KX3 and send CAT commands from the
iSDR.  I've been stuck trying to get a wifi version running, but wifi on the
Arduino is a pain, and I've been having house work done that has unfocused
me for two months now.  Charles is aware of our work.

73, Terry, WB4JFI

Re: iSDR app and KX3 not working

Mike Heitmann
The KX3 I/Q output has to be enabled via the KX3 menu before it will work. It's also pretty low level, so make sure the iMic is set to mic level instead of line level. The iSDR app will route the sound output to the iMic output jack, so you will also need to connect headphones or a powered speaker to the iMic output jack.

The iSDR app will not control the KX3, you will have to set the center frequency for the iSDR display manually via the iSDR option menu. I usually set the center frequency to zero and consider the iSDR display to be +/- what the KX3 VFO displays.

I've used our iPad2 / camera adapter / iMic / iSDR on several occasions. It makes a nice pan adapter display.

Hope this helps get you going!

Mike, N0SO
Sent from my iPad