k3 160 meter low output power

John McBee-2
Just wondering what might be wrong with a friend's K3.  It will only put
out 85 watts on 160 meters.  All other bands put out 100 watts. I have
done the calibration with the K3 Utility program, but no change.  Just
curious to what might be wrong, or what I could check from him.  Thanks
for the replies in advance.
Sorry if this was sent twice, chose the wrong reply address for this
reflector.  Too many email accounts.

73's
John
KM5PS

Re: k3 160 meter low output power

Nr4c
Try using a dummy load.  It could be that the radio just can't get a good enough match on 160 to deliver full power.

Sent from my iPhone
...nr4c. bill

> On Dec 26, 2015, at 9:29 AM, John McBee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Just wondering what might be wrong with a friend's K3.  It will only put out 85 watts on 160 meters.  All other bands put out 100 watts. I have done the calibration with the K3 Utility program, but no change.  Just curious to what might be wrong, or what I could check from him.  Thanks for the replies in advance.
> Sorry if this was sent twice, chose the wrong reply address for this reflector.  Too many email accounts.
>
> 73's
> John
> KM5PS

Re: k3 160 meter low output power

John McBee-2
That is how I was testing it to start with into a dummy load.

Thanks
John
---- Nr4c <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Try using a dummy load.  It could be that the radio just can't get a good enough match on 160 to deliver full power.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
> ...nr4c. bill
>

> > On Dec 26, 2015, at 9:29 AM, John McBee <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Just wondering what might be wrong with a friend's K3.  It will only put out 85 watts on 160 meters.  All other bands put out 100 watts. I have done the calibration with the K3 Utility program, but no change.  Just curious to what might be wrong, or what I could check from him.  Thanks for the replies in advance.
> > Sorry if this was sent twice, chose the wrong reply address for this reflector.  Too many email accounts.
> >
> > 73's
> > John
> > KM5PS

> > Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: k3 160 meter low output power

W1KSZ
First, what are you using for a load ? Antenna or Dummy Load.
If it's a Dummy Load how good is the frequency response ?

Next, what are you using for a wattmeter ?

RF Power Measurement is a difficult task, most folks swear by
their Bird 43, which makes me cringe !!

Where are you located ? I have an HP 438A with cal traceability
and Sensor Heads and assorted power attenuators. I can measure
RF Power to a very high degree of accuracy (it's frequency
dependent also).

73 es HH, Dick, W1KSZ

---- Nr4c <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Try using a dummy load.  It could be that the radio just can't get a good
enough match on 160 to deliver full power.

> Sent from my iPhone
> ...nr4c. bill
>

> > On Dec 26, 2015, at 9:29 AM, John McBee <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Just wondering what might be wrong with a friend's K3.  It will only put
out 85 watts on 160 meters.  All other bands put out 100 watts. I have done
the calibration with the K3 Utility program, but no change.  Just curious to
what might be wrong, or what I could check from him.  Thanks for the replies
in advance.
> > Sorry if this was sent twice, chose the wrong reply address for this
reflector.  Too many email accounts.

> > 73's
> > John
> > KM5PS
> >
> > This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net Please help support this
> > email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to
> > [hidden email]

Re: k3 160 meter low output power

OE5CSP-Chris
My K3 does not put out more than 94 watts(according to the internal wattmeter) on 17 and 15m.This corresponds more or less with the external meter. I did the tx gain calibration again and everything went smoothly but no change. All the other bands are ok and I´m still using the same dummy load, an Ericson SEA920031.
I know there is no difference between 94 and 100 watts, but this behavior is quite unusual.I can´t stand if the last bar is not flickering,hi hi..
Have you seen something like this?
73,Chris-OE5CSP