k3 7536

HankP
Called V73NS  tonite on 20 CW and he could not make out keying - said very choppy - the keying sounds fine in the headphones virtually no matter what I do. But on external rx it does in fact sound very choppy and sometimes misses characters ,

Using LOGIKIT CMOS4  external keyer - not the internal keyer.

Using
VOX
QSK SEMI
TX dly 020 (tx delay is also affecting CW weight)
CW QRQ is OFF

P3 is connected on the RS232 buss.

I turned off  the logging computer - rebooted the K3 and still sounds lousy

If I use PTT with a foot pedal to PTT jack  CW gets even more choppy

OK  , what have I got set wrong ????

Hank K7HP

Re: k3 7536

Tim Hague
Hank, can I suggest that you try the internal keyer, that will at least prove if it's the rig or your external keyer. I'd then start to look for RF feedback problems.

Best regards, Tim Hague
Skype m0afj.Tim
Sent on my iPad

On 23 Jul 2013, at 08:39, "Pfizenmayer" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Called V73NS  tonite on 20 CW and he could not make out keying - said very choppy - the keying sounds fine in the headphones virtually no matter what I do. But on external rx it does in fact sound very choppy and sometimes misses characters ,
>
> Using LOGIKIT CMOS4  external keyer - not the internal keyer.
>
> Using
> VOX
> QSK SEMI
> TX dly 020 (tx delay is also affecting CW weight)
> CW QRQ is OFF
>
> P3 is connected on the RS232 buss.
>
> I turned off  the logging computer - rebooted the K3 and still sounds lousy
>
> If I use PTT with a foot pedal to PTT jack  CW gets even more choppy
>
> OK  , what have I got set wrong ????
>
> Hank K7HP

Re: k3 7536

Igor Sokolov-2
Hank, this is known problem. Set TX dly to default and see the result.

73, Igor UA9CDC
> Called V73NS  tonite on 20 CW and he could not make out keying - said very
> choppy - the keying sounds fine in the headphones virtually no matter what
> I do. But on external rx it does in fact sound very choppy and sometimes
> misses characters ,
>
> Using LOGIKIT CMOS4  external keyer - not the internal keyer.
>
> Using
> VOX
> QSK SEMI
> TX dly 020 (tx delay is also affecting CW weight)
> CW QRQ is OFF
>
> P3 is connected on the RS232 buss.
>
> I turned off  the logging computer - rebooted the K3 and still sounds
> lousy
>
> If I use PTT with a foot pedal to PTT jack  CW gets even more choppy
>
> OK  , what have I got set wrong ????
>
> Hank K7HP

Re: k3 7536

Greg - AB7R
You can probably get by with a TX Delay setting of 10 without noticing
any issues but 20 is definitely what is causing your problem.

73
Greg
AB7R