k3 and n1mm for rtty and mmtty

km5ps
I have a question about N1MM and a K3 for those of you that use them
together for RTTY.  This past weekend I set my K3 up and operated the
WPX RTTY contest for a little while.  Everything went well.  After the
contest I was rag chewing in CW and my audio on the k3 quit for a little
while. No audio from speaker or headphones.  I got it back to working by
turning the K3 off and on a few times and has worked ever since.  My
question is,  what should the Line In setting on sound card be?  I have
seen where some mentioned it should be on between 4& 5 counting down
from the top and have seen where some have it all the way up.  On my K3
Line In I had it set at abt 13.  I tried to set it where the ALC was 4
bars solid and 5 flashing a little bit.  I was afraid that I my have
damages the audio input when my audio cut out.  So I was not going to
operate any more RTTY until found more info about the settings.  This
may not have anything to do with my audio cutting out for a little while
but that was the only change that I made since I last used it on cw.  I
followed the instruction from mmtty on how to setup for a K3.  Just
thought I would ask to see what some other people might have there
settings at.

TIA
John