latest K2 serial #?

k5oai
What is the latest serial number for the K2?
--
GB & 73
K5OAI

Re: latest K2 serial #?

lstavenhagen
Funny you should post this - I was just about to send out a Kudos to Elecraft support for my second K2 which I'm in the process of building right now. It was missing a front panel switch in the FP board kit; I sent an email to parts@elecraft.com on Friday about it. Richard, AD7FZ at Elecraft responded in less than an hour and the switch is now bouncing around in the USPS truck on the way to my apartment right now. So I should be able to resume construction on it this eve. after work.

I've never had to use Elecraft's support (their products really are that good) and this was the first time I ever had to and it's outstanding!

So with my Kudos out of the way, my new K2 kit is ser. no. 7658. I ordered it about 3 weeks ago, so that's probably at or near the top of where their ser. nos are now. As far as I can tell it's identical to my previous K2 which I built 3 or 4 years ago (ser. no. is 69- something IIRC).

73,
LS
W5QD

k5oai wrote
What is the latest serial number for the K2?
--
GB & 73
K5OAI
Sam Morgan
John 3:16  Ephesians 2:8-9  1 Peter 2:24  Acts 2:38

Re: latest K2 serial #?

Sam,

It is near 7700.

On 3/21/2016 1:07 PM, Sam Morgan wrote:
> What is the latest serial number for the K2?

Re: latest K2 serial #?

KC6CNN
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: latest K2 serial #?

lstavenhagen
Yep, I like my current K2 (#6882) so much and enjoyed building it so much that I just decided I had to build another one lol... I guess you can't have too many Elecrafts....

Speaking of that, I got the switch from the mailman and just soldered it in. So onwards with the build...

73,
LS
W5QD

Re: latest K2 serial #?

Bill W4ZV
KC6CNN wrote
They K2 might be old school, but you got to love the sound they have with CW. It is so easy on my ears.
It's even better if you fix the horrible distortion in the sidetone!  It was so bad that I found it difficult to zero-beat stations by ear.

TF3MA mod:  http://www.raunvis.hi.is/~matti/TF3MA/sidetone_tf3ma.html
KT5X addendum:  http://mailman.qth.net/pipermail/elecraft/2006-November/061425.html

73,  Bill  W4ZV

Re: latest K2 serial #?

RobertG
The dates of the two sites mentioned are pretty old. I imagine that any
such mods or similar changes were incorporated in later K2's. Is this
the case?
...robert

On 03/22/2016 14:06, Bill W4ZV wrote:

> KC6CNN wrote
>> They K2 might be old school, but you got to love the sound they have with
>> CW. It is so easy on my ears.
>
> It's even better if you fix the horrible distortion in the sidetone!  It was
> so bad that I found it difficult to zero-beat stations by ear.
>
> TF3MA mod:  http://www.raunvis.hi.is/~matti/TF3MA/sidetone_tf3ma.html
> KT5X addendum:
> http://mailman.qth.net/pipermail/elecraft/2006-November/061425.html
>
> 73,  Bill  W4ZV

Robert G Strickland, PhD ABPH - KE2WY
[hidden email]
Syracuse, New York, USA

Re: latest K2 serial #?

Don Wilhelm-4
Robert,

Yes, those two mods are old, and apply only to the A level boards (below
SN 3000).
There have been improvements in the K2 sidetone incorporated into the B
level boards, and are also included with the A to B mod kit.
The changes added a 47k resistor in series with C24 (R11 for the B level
boards) and a shielded 82mH inductor across pins 7 and 10 of RP5.
The sidetone is still not a pure sine wave, but it is close if your
sidetone pitch is between 500 and 700 Hz.

Those old mods would be applicable to unmodified A level boards but
re-design of the circuits would be required for the B level boards and A
level boards already modified with the A to B upgrade kit.

On 3/22/2016 5:52 PM, Robert G Strickland wrote:
> The dates of the two sites mentioned are pretty old. I imagine that
> any such mods or similar changes were incorporated in later K2's. Is
> this the case?

Re: latest K2 serial #?

Sverre Holm (LA3ZA)
The TF3MA sidetone mod is still current as it is in fact a modification of the B level board, not just the A level board, as the site states that this is an improvement of exactly the 47k / 82 mH A to B improvement mentioned in the quote below. See http://www.raunvis.hi.is/~matti/TF3MA/sidetone_tf3ma.html

See also my mod list here: http://la3za.blogspot.no/p/la3za-unofficial-guide-to-elecraft-k2_28.html (search for sidetone), where I specify it as : "Even more sinusoidal tone than the mod in serial #3000+ gives"

Don Wilhelm-4 wrote
Yes, those two mods are old, and apply only to the A level boards (below
SN 3000).
There have been improvements in the K2 sidetone incorporated into the B
level boards, and are also included with the A to B mod kit.
The changes added a 47k resistor in series with C24 (R11 for the B level
boards) and a shielded 82mH inductor across pins 7 and 10 of RP5.
Sverre, LA3ZA

K2 #2198, K3 #3391,
LA3ZA Blog: http://la3za.blogspot.com,
LA3ZA Unofficial Guide to K2 modifications: http://la3za.blogspot.com/p/la3za-unofficial-guide-to-elecraft-k2.html

Re: latest K2 serial #?

Bill W4ZV
Don Wilhelm-4 wrote
Yes, those two mods are old, and apply only to the A level boards (below
SN 3000).
There have been improvements in the K2 sidetone incorporated into the B
level boards, and are also included with the A to B mod kit.
The changes added a 47k resistor in series with C24 (R11 for the B level
boards) and a shielded 82mH inductor across pins 7 and 10 of RP5.
The sidetone is still not a pure sine wave, but it is close if your
sidetone pitch is between 500 and 700 Hz.

Those old mods would be applicable to unmodified A level boards but
re-design of the circuits would be required for the B level boards and A
level boards already modified with the A to B upgrade kit.
Don I beg to differ.  From LA3ZA's K2 mod site:

Sidetone mod
Updated Nov 2006

Even more sinusoidal tone than the mod in serial #3000+ gives

Important to have an inductor with correct series resistance (KT5X)

Simple, one more capacitor

TF3MA

I installed this mod in my S/N 4119 and it made a huge difference in sidetone quality.  The original design had so much harmonic content that it was difficult to zero beat stations by ear.

73,  Bill  W4ZV

Re: latest K2 serial #?

Sverre.

I beg to differ slightly.  The B level boards already have the 82mH
inductor across the same R-PAK that the TF3MA mod wants to install the
large capacitor.  In addition, the 47k resistor is already in place, but
the path must be broken to install his 47mH inductor.

While it is do-able on the B level board, it is not as straightforward
as for the A level board.  To follow the TF3MA instructions as written,
one must have the A level board.  With the B level, the existing design
must be modified and the mod re-designed a bit.
For circuit savvy K2 owners who understand how to follow a schematic, it
should not be a problem, but those lacking that ability should proceed
with caution and the help of someone who can interpret the schematic.