reflow solder K-pod power resistor

Bob Novas
I successfully reflow soldered the surface mount 6.8 ohm resistor across R82
in my K3S today. It took me a while to get my courage up, but it worked out
well.

In the kind of reflow soldering I used, you melt some solder and flux on the
tip of a temperature controlled iron, and then, while holding the SMD part
to be soldered to the board in its final location, touch the iron tip to the
surface mount part one one side and then the other until it heats up and
solder flows (the "reflow").  It's hard to hold everything perfectly still,
but you can take a couple cracks at it until you get it right.

Bob - W3DK

Re: reflow solder K-pod power resistor

Don Wilhelm
Bob,

It is good to hear that you were successful.
However, I have a reservations about your recommended technique.
Yes, a small bit of solder on the iron is required to conduct heat to
the already soldered junction, but you should add a wee bit of fresh
solder to the joint while reflowing.  The reason -- the heat of the
soldering iron will vaporize the flux quickly, probably before you can
touch the iron to the joint -- as a result, there is no flux left, and
that is what the solder connection likely needs most - a bit of added flux.

So, yes put a small bit of solder on the iron and then touch it to the
connection.  As soon as the solder begins to flow, touch the joint with
your flux core solder to complete the job.  The use of small diameter
solder prevents you from getting excessive solder on the joint/board/etc.

On 12/26/2016 7:03 PM, Bob Novas wrote:

> I successfully reflow soldered the surface mount 6.8 ohm resistor across R82
> in my K3S today. It took me a while to get my courage up, but it worked out
> well.
>

> In the kind of reflow soldering I used, you melt some solder and flux on the
> tip of a temperature controlled iron, and then, while holding the SMD part
> to be soldered to the board in its final location, touch the iron tip to the
> surface mount part one one side and then the other until it heats up and
> solder flows (the "reflow").  It's hard to hold everything perfectly still,
> but you can take a couple cracks at it until you get it right.

Re: reflow solder K-pod power resistor

Bob Novas
Don - I literally touch the iron to the solder, and then touch the part with
the iron conveying the solder and flux. You have to be quick.  Bob

It is good to hear that you were successful.
However, I have a reservations about your recommended technique.
Yes, a small bit of solder on the iron is required to conduct heat to the
already soldered junction, but you should add a wee bit of fresh solder to
the joint while reflowing.  The reason -- the heat of the soldering iron
will vaporize the flux quickly, probably before you can touch the iron to
the joint -- as a result, there is no flux left, and that is what the solder
connection likely needs most - a bit of added flux.

So, yes put a small bit of solder on the iron and then touch it to the
connection.  As soon as the solder begins to flow, touch the joint with your
flux core solder to complete the job.  The use of small diameter solder
prevents you from getting excessive solder on the joint/board/etc.

On 12/26/2016 7:03 PM, Bob Novas wrote:

> I successfully reflow soldered the surface mount 6.8 ohm resistor
> across R82 in my K3S today. It took me a while to get my courage up,
> but it worked out well.
>

> In the kind of reflow soldering I used, you melt some solder and flux
> on the tip of a temperature controlled iron, and then, while holding
> the SMD part to be soldered to the board in its final location, touch
> the iron tip to the surface mount part one one side and then the other
> until it heats up and solder flows (the "reflow").  It's hard to hold
> everything perfectly still, but you can take a couple cracks at it until
you get it right.

Re: reflow solder K-pod power resistor

riese-k3djc

radio shack and others have acid free soldering flux
I find a toothpick tip holds enough to solder a component
touch the flow point and leave a bit of flux
cleans up well with a bit of alcohol
ect

Bob K3DJC